Need Remedy For Cold Cracks

Help Support CattleToday:

Brahma Bull

Reaction score
Anyone tell me a remedy for those little cold cracks you get on your fingers and back of your heals..Have tried lot of things but haven't found anything that prevents them or speeds up the healing.Another reason why I hate cold weather.They hurt like thunder when you bump your finger or when walking,putting on your boots.Never get them in hot weather.

My youngest gets them on his hands in winter ~ we've even tried prescription stuff to no avail. Am anxious to hear replies. Last week his hands were bleeding. :(

I use chap guard that I buy from Jeffers.

It is an udder cream but works very well on hands.

My wife uses it as well and I gave a jar to my neighbor who is a quail hunter and had the same problem and it cured him rather quickly.

Product name is Chap Guard and comes in 1 lb jars and is not at all expensive.

Huh ~ I have tried udder balm on his hands w/o success. I wonder if this has something different in it.

Bag balm on the feet with socks on at night. And this may sound strange, but go get you a pedicure every couple weeks in the winter. The kind of bag balm we use comes in the green tin. Mostly lanolin, I think. It's good on hands, too, but only at night.

I don't get the cracked feet till summer when I start wearing sandles. My hub gets a pedicure every now and then and it really helps. He was against it until he started going. He looks great sitting in that chair with his britches legs hiked up wearing his bib alls.

Lammie":16wsfg0q said:
Bag balm on the feet with socks on at night. And this may sound strange, but go get you a pedicure every couple weeks in the winter. The kind of bag balm we use comes in the green tin. Mostly lanolin, I think. It's good on hands, too, but only at night.

I don't get the cracked feet till summer when I start wearing sandles. My hub gets a pedicure every now and then and it really helps. He was against it until he started going. He looks great sitting in that chair with his britches legs hiked up wearing his bib alls.

Pics Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Brahma Bull":1ptk9lva said:
Anyone tell me a remedy for those little cold cracks you get on your fingers and back of your heals..Have tried lot of things but haven't found anything that prevents them or speeds up the healing.Another reason why I hate cold weather.They hurt like thunder when you bump your finger or when walking,putting on your boots.Never get them in hot weather.

I use HOOF ALIVE several years ago an old farmlady in oklahoma told me about this product and it works great.
You can find a dealer by Googling Hoof alive.

Cal

The best thing we have used here is the "Heel Balm." It will be in the foot care section. It is extremely thick, and has bee's wax which will seal the cracks. It does wonders for the hands too. Sometimes after I put it on, I run just a little water over my hands to take away the stickiness. Then it leaves a coating of wax. Helps the healing fast.
Chuckie

MikeC":31m4i9ze said:
dun":31m4i9ze said:
I though Bag Balm fixed everything!

Trust me. Bag Balm should not be substituted for KY jelly. :shock:

I'm really tempted but I'm going to pass on this one.............

"Newskin"... it's a liquid bandage product with antibiotic and paints on your fingers and the like... stings like the dickens the first coat, dries fast and hard like fingernail polish but works for me

Lammie":39gn637u said:

Lammie,
I've GOT to show this to my husband. He's forever asking me to do his feet and I HATE it... you dang near get blinded by flying toenails!!! Finally I said "Go see Jimmy & Mary" who have a salon here in town. He REFUSES to do it. Afraid someones going to see him.

Wisteria Farms":2muaocqw said:
Lammie,
I've GOT to show this to my husband. He's forever asking me to do his feet and I HATE it... you dang near get blinded by flying toenails!!! Finally I said "Go see Jimmy & Mary" who have a salon here in town. He REFUSES to do it. Afraid someones going to see him.

WF ~ Tell him to try it just once. He will be much more willing to go again.
I mean, point out all the things I'm sure you've been willing to try "just once" for him........

The boss lady has the "skin condition"
Nothing was working for her. So I broke a couple of my vitamin E gel tabs, Had her rub that in. Then I had her put on and alovera based moisturizer. It seems to be working for her. When very little else was.

Latest posts