Need opinions!

Help Support CattleToday:

Double R Ranch

Reaction score
Hello,
I have been trying to get pictures posted on here with no success so I created a page for you all to look at.
Here's the deal. I rescued this filly from a VERY overwhelmed rescue organization. When she got here in December she was a mess. Never had her feet trimmed, wormed, or vac. She hadn't even been halter broke. She was almost 9 months old when she arrived.
After a ton of medical treatments and training I now have her to where I would expect a filly of her age.
My problem is this:
When she arrived the veterinarian that I had on hand said "oh good gosh it's a draft". Now first of all I know for a fact (because I saw her) that her mother is 100% Quarterhorse. I believe that this filly is to. I have taken her to several qtr horse ranches and they all say she's quarterhorse yet when the vet came back to check on her progress she still said she's 1/2 draft.
Personally I do not see any signs of being a draft. You can see pictures here: http://www.doublerranchca.com/Family%20Pics.htm I really would like your opinions on her. She is very cowy so far and has quarter horse feet and legs in my opinion. I would give you a height but I don't know how the mesuring is on horses. She is exactly what I would expect from a qtr horse.
What do you all think? I look forward to your thoughts and feel free to ask any questions that you may have.
Thanks for the time and opinions,
Double R

I like her looks. It sounds like your vet has an opinion. Of course, if you don't have papers on her, who knows what she really is. She could have some draft in her. My uncle raised a lot of 1/2 drafts that looked like a tall, bulldog QH, which was his point of raising them. They were used at rodeos for pick-up men.

Doesn't look drafty to me at all. She's got a pretty babydoll head. Small legs and feet. QH in my opinion. Nice lil roan horse.

Again you say you have been around horses all your life and do not know if a 15 hand or 15.2 hand horse is big.

Something does not add up with that statement.

She doesnt look drafty to me just average run of the mill horse.

This post has a ton of replies on the everything else board for cattle. I posted this response and thought id throw it on here as well for those of you who were kind enough to reply and aren't on the cattle boards.

First off let me start by saying thanks to all who have shown such and interest in our filly. I have updated her page to show her baby photo's as well as from the rescue group and beyond. There are a bunch of pictures (new) so if your interested please take a peak at her page again at http://www.doublerranchca.com/Family%20Pics.htm
I would love some more opinions if you all have any new ones with the new pictures ive posted. She is a handful but a sweet filly. She has had a lot of problems none of which I feel are because of her personally. She truly had no start and no handling prior to us getting her and I feel that she has truly tried.
All imput is welcome and appreciated. Including training advice.
That saddle is strictly a light saddle that does not fit her at all. Neither does the pads. It was put on for the feel. The way the saddle fits her it doesn't sit back that far. Probably cause it's very old and warped. Thats why I use it as the first saddlings which only last a few minutes because of how young she is. Plus if it gets ruined im not out a lot. It is great advise and not many know how to fit a saddle. A topic I think should be discussed more often in life. Especally regular size and weight saddles with riders.
We won't be starting her with a rider until she is two and a half atleast depending on the vets approval of her legs/growth plates. We do start round penning lightly at an early age as you will see in the new photo's.
Thanks again to all who have written. We really like this filly and am glad that we could be the ones to bring her along. Take care and enjoy. Oh and I got around to measureing her. Its on the site to.
Double R

Latest posts