Need opinions!

Help Support CattleToday:

Double R Ranch

Reaction score
Hello,
I have been trying to get pictures posted on here with no success so I created a page for you all to look at.
Here's the deal. I rescued this filly from a VERY overwhelmed rescue organization. When she got here in December she was a mess. Never had her feet trimmed, wormed, or vac. She hadn't even been halter broke. She was almost 9 months old when she arrived.
After a ton of medical treatments and training I now have her to where I would expect a filly of her age.
My problem is this:
When she arrived the veterinarian that I had on hand said "oh good gosh it's a draft". Now first of all I know for a fact (because I saw her) that her mother is 100% Quarterhorse. I believe that this filly is to. I have taken her to several qtr horse ranches and they all say she's quarterhorse yet when the vet came back to check on her progress she still said she's 1/2 draft.
Personally I do not see any signs of being a draft. You can see pictures here: http://www.doublerranchca.com/Family%20Pics.htm I really would like your opinions on her. She is very cowy so far and has quarter horse feet and legs in my opinion. I would give you a height but I don't know how the mesuring is on horses. She is exactly what I would expect from a qtr horse.
What do you all think? I look forward to your thoughts and feel free to ask any questions that you may have.
Thanks for the time and opinions,
Double R

Why not just ask the vet what he sees that makes him feel she's got draft in her?

dun":yfz865db said:
Why not just ask the vet what he sees that makes him feel she's got draft in her?

Claims that the legs look draft, her height which looks small to me, everything is draft. I don't see a single thing. Not even feathering.
Thanks for your response. I value your opinions greatly.
Double R

As light boned as she is I sure don;t see it in her legs. Somthing about her head catches my eye but I've been away (thankfully) from horses for 35 years.

Ryder":3j0oqgpc said:
Doesn't look draft to me, but not sure about quarter horse either.
Post down on horse boards. Should be people there with a good eye for this.

I am not that great on the computer. Any horse board suggestions?
Thanks,
Double R

dun":8r6ynpva said:
As light boned as she is I sure don;t see it in her legs. Somthing about her head catches my eye but I've been away (thankfully) from horses for 35 years.

Smart! Unfortunitly with my disabilities I need horses in order to move my cattle. She seems to be very cowy but at this point it's more of an annoyance everytime the same vet see's her she thinks she's huge and looks all draft. I know for a fact that the mother was qtr horse. It's the dad that's in question.
As far as her head she has a very soft face. Kind eye. I do agree that it is catchy.
The quarter horse breeders I took her to all say she is 100% qtrhorse. However I don't know these people and I tend to trust most everyone's opinion on here. Thats why I am asking.
Thanks for your reply,
Double R

Double R Ranch":rjs3c65q said:
Ryder":rjs3c65q said:

Thanks,
Double R
Click on Board Index at top.
Scroll down to bottom and you will see Horse Boards. There are two headings there for horses.
Then just post on one of them same as you did here.

You are way ahead of me on computer because you did a fine job posting very good pictures.

Ryder":3dfo8em6 said:
Double R Ranch":3dfo8em6 said:
Ryder":3dfo8em6 said:

Thanks,
Double R
Click on Board Index at top.
Scroll down to bottom and you will see Horse Boards. There are two headings there for horses.
Then just post on one of them same as you did here.

You are way ahead of me on computer because you did a fine job posting very good pictures.

Lol! Thanks for the compliment. I used a cheater program but thanks anyways. I will check the horse boards out. Didn't even know they were there. just stick with the cattle boards.

My injurys (a lot of them from horses) aren;t disabilities, but they're part of the reason I got away fomr horses 35 years ago.

Very nice filly,you've don a good job.. She has no papers,is what you want,so what difference what breed/type she is? Ask Vet what he/she sees that looks draft to him/her.. I can't see it myself,but QH came from many types of horses,draft included.

dun":2yqyk632 said:
My injurys (a lot of them from horses) aren;t disabilities, but they're part of the reason I got away fomr horses 35 years ago.

Im sorry to hear that. Mine aren't from horses but they have caused my fair share of injuries. I actually really need them, and i only keep as many as I need, to be my legs. I can't walk a lot and chasing cows is out of the question. The quad does a crappy job as our cow have figured out how to out manuver it. Horses are my only choice at this time. I really like this filly it's just driving me crazy(er) not knowing wether the vet is right or not. She seems so sure yet EVERYONE else including me who has grown up with qtrhorses says she's qtrhorse.

peg4x4":167uxwoc said:
Very nice filly,you've don a good job.. She has no papers,is what you want,so what difference what breed/type she is? Ask Vet what he/she sees that looks draft to him/her.. I can't see it myself,but QH came from many types of horses,draft included.

Thank you for your response. I really do like her. I am not sorry that we rescued her. She has no papers as her mother was taken off a slaughter loading dock. Three days later this filly was born. The rescue group had the right intentions but she was neglected.
For one the breed "matters" because of curiousity and if she is draft she might not be right for ranch work. Meaning to big and that sort of thing. That is what I got her for though is to move cows. She was a lot younger than I was looking for but it was the right thing to do and she doesn't need papers or fancy named breeding to work cows. I got lucky I feel that she is cowy. Also the vet is a friend and i get non stop crap about getting a draft.
The rescue she came from had her listed as full qtrhorse. Grow to about 15 to 15 1/2 hands high. Not ever really carring about hight im assuming that isn't very big.
Pretty much the vet is just set that she looks draft. Says her legs look draft, which I haven't seen anything in my opinion that looks drafty. Her eye's might be the only thing I could say might (a far stretch) be drafty. She has very soft small eyes. No feathering on her legs either. Smaller bone than I would expect from a draft also.
Thats good to know about qh's having draft in them along the line. Thanks for the help/info/opinion. I raise and train my own ranch horses. Most all have been rescues. I don't care much about anything in perticular as long as they can physically work. I keep all my ranch horses until the end. I got her to "replace" one of my now retired horses.

A "hand" is 4 inches. I was 5'6",a 15 hand horse was chin high to me. Your vet is teasing you. If you want to see what draftX really look like,look up SportHorse,or just type draftX into"ask.com"
Old folk tale,which actually works..Tape mesure the horses front leg from the top of the hoof to the middle of the knee. inches=hands..If you mesure 15 inches,she'll be 15 hands.
Can't tell her size right now,but she's well balanced now,no reason for her to get all clumsy later.

peg4x4":1br9zlsa said:
A "hand" is 4 inches. I was 5'6",a 15 hand horse was chin high to me. Your vet is teasing you. If you want to see what draftX really look like,look up SportHorse,or just type draftX into"ask.com"
Old folk tale,which actually works..Tape mesure the horses front leg from the top of the hoof to the middle of the knee. inches=hands..If you mesure 15 inches,she'll be 15 hands.
Can't tell her size right now,but she's well balanced now,no reason for her to get all clumsy later.

Thanks! Tomorrow when I go out to work her I will take a messuring tape to her. See if that freaks her out a bit. Just another bomb proofing lesson in my eyes :)
I printed your post out and I will get back to you'all on her hight now. I will also look up the draft crosses to get an idea. Thats a great idea. Thanks.
Yes the vet, her husband, my spouse everyone around here is teasing me about my "draft" horse. They all knew I wanted a ready to train qtr horse and I got a "draft" weanling. Oh well atleast it gives them something to rile me about.
Will let you know her hight. N yes she is very smooth in the round pen and out in the field. Can't wait to start riding her. She can turn on a dime to. She works the fence for play when there are cows to chase.

To me,it wouldn't matter if she was a Shetland Pony,if she could do the job. You got a really nice filly there,don't start rideing her too soon. another thing to look up is when the growth plates fuse on a horse..Lots more on here have much more experence with horses than I.

Alright I'm gonna be a bit of a smark alec. Next time your vet tells you that they see draft in her legs ask them where the feathers are. All that long hair that a majority I have seen have. I have seen some without though.

I see nothing indicating draft in her.

I've had horses for 40-some years, longer than some, not nearly as long as others.

I raise Quarter Horses and Appys...

Nowhere do I see any draft blood indications in this filly... she's pretty clean legged, and small footed based on your pics.

Only thing that might have given your vet that indication is that her head is a bit roman or plain from the side.

Otherwise she's a fine looking bay-roan filly

JMO

My folks had quarter horses as well. If my last paycheck wasn't already gone, I would bet that that horse is a purebred quarter. Very, very pretty by the way ~ I am partial to roans. You have done really well with her!!

Latest posts