Need Opinions....

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Ok here is the situation. Last year we got a bucketcalf in every April. We bottle feed the calf and we creep feed her. She is a charlois. We have no idea if she is out of registered stock. She came from the sale barn as a 4-H project. Over the winter and now she has been on hay and pasture. She is shorter than she should be. Yesturday we went and weighed her at coop and She weighed 720. Now is that what you guys would consider way to small to breed? And if so what would you recommend us to do. I am new at this. I don't know if anyone would buy her as a cull cow due to her being so short. She has the body capacity but not the height. Hope someone has some input for me. Thanks--Becky

[email protected]

720 is an acceptable weight to breed a heifer at. She is on the small side, but bucket calves usually are. Breeding her now would be an April calf, she would be 24 months old. She should be able to gain 3-400 pounds from now till calving, but you will need to breed her to a very easy calving bull.

The main concern is has she been cycling so you can breed her? If not she might be better off going for beef, just because she is a heifer doesn't mean she has to be kept as a cow.

Jason Trowbridge Southern Angus Farms Alberta Canada

[email protected]

> For a bucket calf that's not too bad for weight. If you choose to breed her MAKE SURE you A.I. her to a PROVEN calving ease bull. Doesn't really matter what breed you choose, but probably most marketable if bred Angus. If she is as small frame wise as you say she is I doubt if you'll have too many people interested in buying her as a ist. calf heifer.Ok here is the situation. Last
> year we got a bucketcalf in every
> April. We bottle feed the calf and
> we creep feed her. She is a
> charlois. We have no idea if she
> is out of registered stock. She
> came from the sale barn as a 4-H
> project. Over the winter and now
> she has been on hay and pasture.
> She is shorter than she should be.
> Yesturday we went and weighed her
> at coop and She weighed 720. Now
> is that what you guys would