Need opinions.....

Help Support CattleToday:

Stanford777

Reaction score
Guys, was wondering what your take is on Limousin cattle is, pros and cons. I'll tell u my situation, we r in West Tennessee, we get humid and hot and we get some cold weather, not a lot tho. Been looking into going straight brangus on my cowherd for a few yrs, with the mindset of making superbaldies to market as replacement females and possibly make some ultrablack. My father in law has approached my wife and I with a proposition that would allow us to purchase some of his best full blooded Limousin females at a very reasonable price. What are the pros and cons of the Limousin females?? I know what I like in the brangus cows, not sure Limousin would satisfy my main objectives.

Dealing with family/in-laws would concern me more than breed of cattle.
Some family members I'd do it in a heartbeat, others I wouldn't touch a deal with them with a 10 foot pole.

What are your main objectives?

You're going to have to look at the individual animals... I have a Limo bull, and he adds a lot of frame.. whether that's good or bad is up to you.. I found he works great with Gelbvieh influenced cows, but not so much with the Shorthorns (kinda doubling up on the large frames)... Also, hows the market for Limos where YOU are, either as seedstock if you go purebred or for the crosses.

Nesikep":2hxuvyb2 said:
You're going to have to look at the individual animal. Also, hows the market for Limos where YOU are, either as seedstock if you go purebred or for the crosses.
Exactly.Here,in my part of Va, anything but Angus type is going to get discounted.There are some exceptions.

JW IN VA":3cf0qfk3 said:
Nesikep":3cf0qfk3 said:
You're going to have to look at the individual animal. Also, hows the market for Limos where YOU are, either as seedstock if you go purebred or for the crosses.
Exactly.Here,in my part of Va, anything but Angus type is going to get discounted.There are some exceptions.
The black limos would probably do fine if the yellows get burned

I really appreciate the input, personally have no idea on the market, and I'm pretty much against the idea, but the wife gets all sentimental on limis cuz she grew up showing them. Guess I may just have to pick my battles, and happy wife happy life. Lol, only realize how much I miss silence.

That's a tough one. Maybe you could try a few of the limos and see how you like the crossbred calves, but keep your main focus on your Brangus. Be hard to turn down good cows you know a lot about, especially if they're at a good price.

Stanford777":4n3wzqgq said:
I really appreciate the input, personally have no idea on the market, and I'm pretty much against the idea, but the wife
gets all sentimental on limis cuz she grew up showing them.
Guess I may just have to pick my battles, and happy wife happy life. Lol, only realize how much I miss silence.
Smart man, that's what I was getting at and to keep peace you'll figure it out and it all might be better than you feared.

A limo bull on brangus cows ... brangus bull on limo cows ... could be a pretty potent three way cross.

Indicus x British x Continental

And, paint the the color you want and eat the ones that are the wrong way.

Lol, I like horned Hereford on my brangus cows, we get a pretty good price selling commercial females outta that, and thehe steers do well too.

Stanford777":ac9yfjef said:
Guess I may just have to pick my battles, and happy wife happy life.
the saying that goes like "If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy" has been scientifically proven to be true, it used to be classified as an old wives tale, but men have empirically proof of that since prehistoric times... :cboy:

I guess we're gonna try the limis out. Can't really lose on the deal that my father in law is working out with us. Hopefully they work, the only way we can lose is if they all die lol. Appreciate the input guys. Now just gotta convince the wife that we don't need to breed them pure

The pros to Limousin would be higher dressing % better feed efficiency, I'm glad you're going to try them Limousin is a really nice breed.

Stanford777":3n8wr5ti said:
Guys, was wondering what your take is on Limousin cattle is, pros and cons. I'll tell u my situation, we r in West Tennessee, we get humid and hot and we get some cold weather, not a lot tho. Been looking into going straight brangus on my cowherd for a few yrs, with the mindset of making superbaldies to market as replacement females and possibly make some ultrablack. My father in law has approached my wife and I with a proposition that would allow us to purchase some of his best full blooded Limousin females at a very reasonable price. What are the pros and cons of the Limousin females?? I know what I like in the brangus cows, not sure Limousin would satisfy my main objectives.
With the limi cattle you'll be going into competition with the FIL too. Watch him. :lol2:

Lol, the Fil is an alright guy. Plus he lives two hours away, no competition. Lucky to have a father in law like him, could be alot worse.

Stanford777":2yqia2vn said:
I guess we're gonna try the limis out. Can't really lose on the deal that my father in law is working out with us. Hopefully they work, the only way we can lose is if they all die lol. Appreciate the input guys. Now just gotta convince the wife that we don't need to breed them pure
Depending on where you are, putting an angus bull on them may be a good plan. We have had excellent results with the Lim-flex females in the replacement pen. They are easy doing, correct, and good mamas. We are actually using red Angus bulls over some of our Limi females now to see if we can get some good red Lim-flex replacements.

Latest posts