Need input-ok to feed moldy or not

Help Support CattleToday:

beefsbest

Reaction score
I have 2 opinions given- one says ok to feed to cows in 1st trimester, another says ok thru 2nd trimester. What has your experience been? Thanks. :)

I have fed Moldy hay to cows, no probs, the rumen, according to my vet and ansi professors detoxifies it. Horses are an entirely different matter though, or so they say.

Moldy hay can cause abortions, as well as general stomach upset. I avoid feeding moldy hay to females. I chuck out the really discoloured/slimy/white mouldy stuff, and the better stuff around the mould patch I feed to the steers and wethers. Moldy grain goes to the pigs. They love it, and seem to do better on the mouldy stuff than the good stuff :roll: go figure.

I keep my round rolls out side in the weather... Every one of them has a lot of mold by Jan. Does not seam to bother the cows , they just eat what they want... It does bother me, a new hay barn would be nice....

Yeah- I would love to feed all good hay.. our hay barns are full of hay but it is to be sold, my cows hay is sitting out and we don't get much moisture here (12 in yr approx.) but I would love to have it all covered too. We can tarp it but I'm usually feeding by myself and the tarps are BIG and I'm not strong enough to open & close them. So we deal with reality... I do sort the hay.. if any has mold areas (like yellow or white circles...) I get rid of it... but some of the hay just has whiteish/grayish color-- it acts almost like dust, flies up when you seperate the bale... if its stuck together I give it to the steers and they pick through it. The girls get the best I can pick out. Often hard to tell from the outside of the bale. Thanks for all your experience!

Latest posts