need info.

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I am about to start the Ranch Managment course next semester at TCU(Texas Christian University) and my Grandfather has a ranch that I'm to inherit. I've been a city boy all my life and know nothing of raising cattle. I wanted to know if anyone could give me some information about where to look for something, either online or book, that would give me some of the fundamentals of raising cattle so that when I start the course I won't be a total idiot. I've looked around the web and found nothing on the fundamentals of cattle raising. Feel free to email me at<p>[email protected]<p>Thanks <br>Andy Maynard
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected].

(User Above)":1y4shtfi said:
: I am about to start the Ranch Managment course next semester at TCU(Texas Christian University) and my Grandfather has a ranch that I'm to inherit. I've been a city boy all my life and know nothing of raising cattle. I wanted to know if anyone could give me some information about where to look for something, either online or book, that would give me some of the fundamentals of raising cattle so that when I start the course I won't be a total idiot. I've looked around the web and found nothing on the fundamentals of cattle raising. Feel free to email me at<p>: [email protected]<p>: Thanks <br>: Andy Maynard<p><br>Andy, <br>My best advice is to read everything on all five of thes Q&A boards and then keep up with them daily. It may not make you an expert but by the time the fall semester starts, you will at least be very conversant. I'm only about 90 miles from you so e-mail me if you have any questions. Good luck,<br>Mack<br>
<br>

[email protected]

When I was in your situation, I was fortunate to come upon a book written by a couple with 32 years in the business. "A Guide To Raising Beef Cattle" by Heather Smith Thomas. It's put out by "Storey Books". http://www.storey.com<br>I was leery of buying a book (you know what they say about book smarts) but, the foreward is written by Baxter Black, and if he endorsed it, that's good enough for me. This book has helped me a lot. <br>Also, I frequent the ag college web sites. They have enormous amounts of info, publications, etc. you can download, or send off for, and most of it is free. Good luck Andy!
<br>

[email protected]

I am also very close to you. We have a Ranch which is about 30 miles Southeast of Sequin. You may want to check your local ag extension service. Another great place for information is D&D Farm and Ranch Supermarkt just down the road from the university. I was also a city boy most of my life and just recently (2 1/2 years ago) got into cattle ranching as a hobby. It's cheaper than a pyschiatrist and a whole lot of fun. Shoot me an e-mail if you have have anymore questions. Where is the ranch located?? How many acres??
<br>

[email protected]

Latest posts