Need help

Help Support CattleToday:

angie1

Reaction score
I am doing chores for the neighbors. I went over there tonight and a sow had had piglets sometime today in the pig yard. She farrowed next to a round bale. Round bale had twine ~ wrapped tightly around and around pig. She was unable to get up until my husband cut it off. Even then I had to go get water to coax her. It was 89 degrees here today. 4 piglets dead (2 wrapped in twine, 2 under sow), 3 piglets alive. She is a big sow. They will be home on Sunday. Could she have more piglets inside? What do I watch for? They have no facilities for me to handle her. Thanks for your help!
Anige

Angie see if they have a crate around the barn or out back some where. It will be a rectangular box with smaller boxes down the sides for the pigs. There should be a gate opening on the end to put the sow in.

If they don't have a crate, they are probably clueless anyway and I wouldn't fret too much.

OK, if they have crate and I get her in ~ should I watch for infection? What might that look like? They have one farrowing pen, steel frame with sides welded into the floor but there is already a pig with piglets in there. Should I guess she is finished farrowing?

Angie,

I'm not being a smarta$$ now, Ok? Do you have a phone number these people can be reached at? If so, call them and ask them what they want you to do...or expect you to do...

Alice

That is perfectly good advice Alice. I called resort and they have canoed in ~ not expected back until sometime tomorrow.

angie":f60ovujp said:
That is perfectly good advice Alice. I called resort and they have canoed in ~ not expected back until sometime tomorrow.

Groovy...doesn't it just figure...

Ok, I guess all you can do is the best you can with what you have to work with...and don't regret anything you do or second guess yourself.

Alice

Yep ~ I figure thats what I'll do. Was hoping someone had a magic spell for me.

angie":2fpclq78 said:
Yep ~ I figure thats what I'll do. Was hoping someone had a magic spell for me.

Wish I did....they didn't leave you a lot to work with...

Alice

Looks like they could have taken the time to tell you that the sow was expecting and what to do when she had them. Maybe they didn't know. ??

Please be careful whatever you do. Some mamas can be real mean when you start messing with their babies.

They told me if she has piglets, leave her out and they would take care when they got home. Did not count on complications. I was doing chores alone ~ when I saw she needed help I went home to get my husband and he cut her loose. I didn't want to take the chance of cutting her loose then having her eat me!