need help with down newborn

Help Support CattleToday:

cleland

Reaction score
Had a calf yesterday morning that weighed 90# and still today cant get up. I didnt pull the calf, just found him alive in the pasture with cw beiside him, when I checked yesterday am. I fed 2 pints of colosterum yesterday, and took the calf to the vet, where they gave him a few shots. The vet said probably just a heavy calf, hard birth is the calf is sore. I brought himback home and put him in the barn. He ate almost 2 pints again this am. When I lift him to try to make him stand, he acts as though he cant use his legs, backs more than fronts. HIs back feet are knuckeled over. Any ideas what this could be, or what else I can do to help this calf. He has the potential to be an excelent calf, from one of my better cows, and sired by kings ransom.
Thanks
Jeff

You don't mention whether his mother was a mature cow or a first time heifer, but it sounds like he's big enough that there was not adequate room in the womb and he's got contracted tendons. Get him out of the barn and into an open shed with proper ventilation. Put his mother in with him, and bottle him frequently - since he's only eating a quart/sitting, I would suggest every 2 to 3 hours until he's able to get around and nurse. The combination of his mother licking and talking to him, plus adaquate milk will go a long ways towards him being motivated to move around and that will stretch the tendons and allow him to move around normally.

Yup, I think so too, Keep feeding him and keep him with his mother, he will come around in a few day's.

Latest posts