need help with calf

Help Support CattleToday:

clemmie86

Reaction score
Hello,

I don't know what is wrong with our little heifer calf. She was a bottle baby we got at the auction earlier this spring. She's off the bottle and on pasture. Seemed to be doing fine, tho' never really seemed to be gaining any weight. Today I needed to move the calves over to a different pasture, (there's only 4 calves) and noticed that this little heifer just wasn't doing well. She was laying in the stall and wouldn't get up, which is unusual for her. Yesterday she seemed fine as I gave them all a little bit of sweet feed.

As I was watching her, she doesn't have any energy, has difficulty balancing and has major diarrhea. More like green, thick water than normal manure. As I watched, she acted as if she had to pass manure again, but all that came out was maybe a tablespoon of reddish/blood and off white liquid. She does seem as tho' she's lost weight recently and is almost on the gaunt side. Anyone have any clues? The vet of course isn't normally open on Sunday, but I'm not sure she'll make it until tomorrow. My husband is out at the other ranch and I'm not sure when he'll be home to look at her. I usually can't reach him on his cell phone, as he can't hear it over his three wheeler.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Tammy

Sorry to hear your troubles. Could be a number of things. Has she ever been wormed or vaccinated? Worms can really take a toll on them. If you have any on hand, I would mix up some electrolytes for her to keep her from getting dehydrated. It doesn't take long with the heat and when they are scouring real bad. Has the calf had access to any type of tree or plant that it normally wouldn't have access to? If you can't reach your husband, I would definately give the vet a call and see if he/she could come out and take a look even though your vet doesn't normally work on Sunday. The sooner you can start some treatment the better. I would also make sure to keep the other calves away from it in case it has something contagious such as coccidiosis that it could give to the other calves.

No, she hasn't been vaccinated or wormed yet. Finances are a bit tight as my husband was laid off and hasn't been able to find a job. I think we might have some wormer here. I'll talk to hubby tonight. He hasn't made it in yet.

Bought in Spring. Hmmmm calculations. We change seasons on the 1st not the 21st and it is now winter here, but I think you are saying it is about 6 weeks old? Then I think she still needs milk.

As above said if you want to save her I think you need to ring the emergency number for the vet. If you can't afford worming the vet will be even more though.

"off the bottle and on pasture" is a pretty big switch. I tend to agree it seems she could use more milk and/or calf starter. any calf just pulled of the bottle and thrown on pasture could simply be starving - which would lead to weakness and apathy of course.

and, seriously, if you can't afford wormer you probably can't afford calf starter, or milk etc then you shouldn't have the cattle. animals are animals, but they still need to be treated responsibly. :secret:

Gee, and I wonder why I don't really like using these forums. Someone is always, always judging you. Glad you are rich and have never had financial problems in your life. And please thank the Lord above that you have NEVER, EVER had any problems with ANY of your calves, EVER!!!! Please do not judge others when they come on here for help. I am sooooooooooo tired of being judged it's not funny!!! You do not know me, or my situation. You don't know my background, or my husband's. He has cow experience, and I don't mean from a distance. He's got on the job, several years worth of in the mud and muck cow experience.

Anyway, hubby did take her to the vet today. The vet gave her antibiotics and sent her back home. We're keeping an eye on her, but I'm honestly not sure she's going to make it. And no, it's not 'starvation.' She was doing fine until recently. She and another calf the same age have been off the bottle for awhile. It was NOT done suddenly. They have been receiving hay, sweet feed and grass for quite awhile now. They received all of that before we ever took them off the bottle. She was eating, running around like any normal calf does, until yesterday. No indication of any health problems. Period! She is not a rack of bones with hip bones sticking out. Oh, and I am also tired of defending myself.

So thank you to those who have given me sound advice. I do appreciate those who try to actually help. To the others, kindly go fly a kite over the Grand Canyon...

I have been told that the best medicine is a stomach full of milk. When I started and went to the sales. Those who knew us came up to me and would not let me look at the calves with the thought of buying. No, no and no. No matter how cute. Not until I had lactating cows that I could put them on. That went from the calves from only day old right up to the yards where they were about 4 times the size. No, no and no.

What you are talking about with problems happens to all of us. It is called Life. Life throws all kinds of things at you. As a farmer you have to learn to just get up and do it again. If you can not adapt and do that then I am afraid to say that farmers are top of the suicide list, so you have to be very careful.

Spinandslide, I was thinking the very same thing.
If you treat one, then you need to treat all four. Coccidiousis will cause them to waste away, become weak and pass bloody mucus looking slime from their rectum.
I wonder if the vet checked for that?
To treat all four of the calves, you would have to purchase a whole bag of Corrid crumbles for $13.65 to pour across the top of the feed.
http://www.jefferslivestock.com Look under Coccidostats, and you will find it.
I don't think the whole bag would have to be used, then if you had more trouble later on, you could use it again.
You might could find this locally at a Tractor Supply or a Farmer's Co-op. I don't know how far Farmer's Co-op stores reach out in the US.
Chuckie

Latest posts