Need help with Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

PaMike

Reaction score
Ok, long story here...Usually raise 300 lb Holstein steers, but the sale barn didnt have any so I brought home some 185 lb steer calves. They took to the water, calf starter (and medicated crumbles), and hay fine.I have had them 1 week. They must have just been weaned because they will still suck on just about anything. 1 calf was hanging back and clearly not eathing much, but when I would go into the pen with a bucket of feed he would bolt away. I figured if I couldnt catch him he must not be too bad. I went to feed them this morning before work and this one didnt want to get up. I got in the pen and gave him a shot of LA-200, and got him up. He didnt want to move around at all, and wouldnt eat. He was holding his head low, and didnt look well at all. Came home at noon and he was out side the barn with all the others. This evening he was down again, and not eating. I decide to drench him some electrolites. When I put the tube in he latches on and sucks on to the tube and has the 1500 ml down in no time. I decided that maybe he wasnt weaned like the others and needs some milk. I got a new bottle and some replacer. He latched right onto the nipple and sucked like crazy, but after a minute or so almost nothing was out of the bottle. It looks like the nipple has an air vent in the top that should wasnt punched open. I punched it open, and he went to town again, but still the milk is barely coming out. How long should it take for a calf to finish a 2L bottle? I finally poured the milk into the drencher, and with some care he drank 1/2 the bottle. It seamed like the nipple wouldnt let the milk out fast enough. Should I just keep trying to bottle feed him till he gets his strength and drive back? He was born 8/2. How much milk should I feed a calf that age? Thanks for any info. I usually dont deal with the bottle babys so this is a little new to me.

Themilk should, if you turn the bottle over, just slowly drip out....on the cover there is a small air hole...but this is on our bottle...I don't know how different your's is from ours.

I am glad he has access to outside, this will make a big difference in his health. Yes, bottle feed him. I would feed him three times a day, 2 quarts a feeding ~ this is assuming he is offered free choice starter, grass and water. This is for starters you may need to increase or decrease depending on how much grain he is willing to eat along with the replacer. Don't skimp on milk replacer, buy the good stuff ~ cheap replacer could very well cause scours and then you have a bigger problem. Cut the hole in the bottle bigger, just a little bigger. As K2011 stated, it should no more than slowly drip out when turned upside down. I don't do this for my calves as I have yet to see one of my cows dripping milk from her udder, but if he is weak or confused, it will help alot. If he is the oldest, they should all be on replacer. 8 weeks is the youngest they should be taken off.

Good Luck!

If he is really droppy, get some real antibiotics and use it. Nufloe, Excenel, etc. You have to get them from your vet but at least they will work where LAanything is pretty useless for anthything but maybe pinkeye or footrot. Even for those, Excenel is a better choice

Just to repeat what Angie said.... cut the hole in the bottle bigger. That is what we have done to ours, and it works just fine. We are currently feeding a Jersey steer (about a month old) and he can suck down a bottle in about 5 minutes. I used to feed him twice a day, in addition to letting him get to the cow; but now am only feeding him once a day, since he is getting along fine now with the new momma cow, as well as eating some grass.

I just thought I would update everyone on the calf. I got Nuflor from my vet. Wow what a difference over La-200. I gave him a shot Monday night. This morning he was up and milling around his pen when I got there. I got his bottle and he sucked down 3/4 of it without and assistance. Looks like he has turned the corner and is heading in the right direction. Vet says I can give a 2nd shot 72 hours later. I guess I will wait and see how he does till I decide....

TNMasterBeefProducer":5yxrl66w said:
PaMike":5yxrl66w said:
I just thought I would update everyone on the calf. I got Nuflor from my vet. Wow what a difference over La-200. I gave him a shot Monday night. This morning he was up and milling around his pen when I got there. I got his bottle and he sucked down 3/4 of it without and assistance. Looks like he has turned the corner and is heading in the right direction. Vet says I can give a 2nd shot 72 hours later. I guess I will wait and see how he does till I decide....

72 hours later? If I am not mistaken check the nuflor label but I think you are to give the second does in 48 hours if he is not better.

Depends on which dosage he used. 6 cc's per hundred SQ has a longer duration than the conventionally prescribed dosage IM. If the vet said 72 hours, I would say that is correct.

PaMike":121kbygy said:

I would give him the second shot no matter how good he may look. An ounce of prevention...........

Good advice Dun ,as that sometimes is the problem with sick calves the meds are not given strong enough or long enough.

[quote="dyates":33b9ikdb said:
TNMasterBeefProducer":33b9ikdb said:
PaMike":33b9ikdb said:

72 hours later? If I am not mistaken check the nuflor label but I think you are to give the second does in 48 hours if he is not better.

Depends on which dosage he used. 6 cc's per hundred SQ has a longer duration than the conventionally prescribed dosage IM. If the vet said 72 hours, I would say that is correct.

TNMBP---Wow that must have took forever to type.
The newer bottles have the sub q dosage and interval. It is 72 hours. I had an older bottle that did not have it listed, it is now...standard vet prescribes

Latest posts