Need help with calf

Help Support CattleToday:

stewart

Reaction score
Got home today at 12:30 wife said cow had calf 6:30 yesterday evening and had not nursed. I gave him some store bought colostrum at 12:30 today and called vet . He said he should be ok since he got it within 24 hours and start feeding him milk replacer thats all i need to give him. I have to tube feed him want open mouth or suck i guess he is what they call dummy calf. Sorry for the long post. Was just wondering if there is anything i need to give him that would increase his chances. Thanks everyone for your help.
Stewart

we had a pretty good discussion on this a month or so back... if that calf didnt nurse... and sometimes that is hard to know... they can be sneaky... then at 18 hours later all he got was powdered colostrum... you may have problems... time will tell... i had one that didnt nurse and got colostrum about 13-14 hours later.... lived about 5-6 weeks and died... was always sick or sick looking... all my colostrum did is prolong him a little while... my vet said those kind usually never get over it.

good luck

jt

stewart":1url9hdr said:
Got home today at 12:30 wife said cow had calf 6:30 yesterday evening and had not nursed. I gave him some store bought colostrum at 12:30 today and called vet . He said he should be ok since he got it within 24 hours and start feeding him milk replacer thats all i need to give him. I have to tube feed him want open mouth or suck i guess he is what they call dummy calf. Sorry for the long post. Was just wondering if there is anything i need to give him that would increase his chances. Thanks everyone for your help.
Stewart
=
stewart,
Whats wrong with mom's milk....got 6-8 hrs left within 24 hour period when baby must nurse? Milk her and feed the calf....bottle...tube...whatever works. Hers will be better than bought...IMO.

Preston39, She is a brahman and i don't have anyway to catch her up and milk her. Shes not bad until she has a calf then all hell breaks loose but normaly has a good calf every year. Thanks for your reply.
Stewart

stewart,

I understand. Just like to cover the basics first. Sounds like the Vet has you on the right track....you may have to work with the little fellow some.... it is hard to give up on the little guys! :(

Is mom's bag ok? Would probably be a relief if she were milked. Any neighbors/friends who would let you use their facilities for a few days to get mom under control? In a little while she will need to be relieved of some milk. May have to think of getting another calf to put on her if you can figure out a way to get her under control to keep the milk going for this little guy.

Been there...done that...it is a challenge.... not a lot of fun until you get it all under control.

I know what you're going thru , I don't know what I would do without my chute , I don't have the best setup but it works. If you could catch her with a little work you could get the calf drinking .

Preston, Her bag is pretty full and she has gone into the woods and she don't seem to plan on coming out for awhile. I can't get anything back there to get her. How long will her milk be good?

Its all the rich nutrients in that first milk that the calf needed. It can't absorb these through it stomach lining except shortly after birth. Her milk will still be better than packaged stuff if you can milk her. I sounds like this won't be practical. You can still raise a fine bottle calf, it just won't grow off as well as one on mothers milk.

stewart,

I'm not sure how long the cows milk will be good for...you are still in the open window though at this time.
Bama is right on....if you can't you can't...mom will dryup. Baby can be raised on the bottle and in a few weeks he will be eating from your hand to start with and then the feeder.

One of those tuff situations calling for unusaual approaches. Stay with it...you'll win.

Thanks everybody for your help and concern. you all have been a big help
Stewart

be sure you give some electrolytes as well.

Give him a shot of Microtel (it works wonders but be VERY careful as it has to go under the skin not in a vein... instant death if it does)

Best of luck to you.