Need help with bottle calf

Help Support CattleToday:

VA cattleman

Reaction score
I have a twin that was rejected by its mother that I have been bottle feeding. He has grown good on the Du-mor all milk protein milk replacer but he's almost 3 months old now and the cost of milk replacer is adding up. I have been giving him fresh water and a calf starter since he was 3 weeks old but he won't touch it. Tried to mix a little sweet feed in to make it more palatable and put some in his mouth to chew on after every bottle and he will eat what I put in his mouth but won't eat any on his own. He gets 2 qts. of milk twice a day and has access to 2nd cutting orchard grass hay but won't eat that either. Any suggestions to get him on feed and off the bottle?

Is the calf with other cows and it's mom? Whenever I have twins, they stay with the dam and the rest of the cows that have calves. It doesn't take long for them to learn how to rob from other cows. usually they will just not be interested in the bottle at about 3 weeks. your calf may still like the bottle but stays satisfied with milk from other cows. your post does make it sound like you have the calf seperated from others. if that is the case, take coachg's advise.

That calf should be on feed already. Need a bit more info though. Like was said above...
In addition, what's he weigh?

If without other cows to rob off of...
Pen him up.
NO bottles for 24-48 hrs.
Don't give in until he starts eating.
Give him some fresh feed and fresh flake of hay.
He will eat!

Some take longer than others to get to eating. I've had a bunch went straight to feed after the downed their bottles. Some I've had to shove feed in their mouths for weeks. And finally the pen and cutting off the bottle. Once they get to eating, I usually cut em to one bottle a day with feed for 1 bag of milk...

Is the calf with other cows and it's mom? Whenever I have twins, they stay with the dam and the rest of the cows that have calves. It doesn't take long for them to learn how to rob from other cows. usually they will just not be interested in the bottle at about 3 weeks. your calf may still like the bottle but stays satisfied with milk from other cows. your post does make it sound like you have the calf seperated from others. if that is the case, take coachg's advise.
He is separated. Where he was is a 15 min drive from home so wanted him closer to home to tend to him. Penned him up behind the house under a shelter. I have always left twins with their mom and supplemented as needed like you suggested but this cow was kicking the calf so bad wanted to get him out of there before she killed him. I will cut his milk in half and go from there. Thanks for the replies.

My dairy heifer had sweet calf grain in front of her since week 1, never touched it. Hand fed it, not interested. What got her going was I got her to drink out of the bottom of a pail then I poured the milk replacer from the bottle on it so it was kind of soupy. Then less milk on it and less. She started eating it all up. She was weaned completely off milk and well grown at 12 weeks. She had access to grass and alfalfa to develop her rumen.

Last edited:
My dairy heifer had sweet calf grain in front of her since week 1, never touched it. Hand fed it, not interested. What got her going was I got her to drink out of the bottom of a pail then I poured the milk replacer from the bottle on it so it was kind of soupy. Then less milk on it and less. She started eating it all up. She was weaned completely off milk and well grown at 12 weeks. She had access to grass and alfalfa to develop her rumen.
Will give that a try if cutting his milk doesn't work. Thanks.

Agree with all suggestions... one thing... give him the bottle at night so he goes to bed with a warm full stomach.... Let him look for feed in the morning and while more active during the daytime.
Do you have another animal that maybe could find a spot in the backyard pen to give him company AND is eating so it is a "monkey see, monkey do" type of thing??? I have more luck with getting calves that are reluctant to eat, to go to the bunk/feed pan/ whatever... because of the competition and the curiosity thing. He sees you as mom... you come and take care of his food needs, he does not see you doing anything else so can't copy.... We have calves that are "eating" (trying out) grass at 2 weeks... because mom is doing it... You are not eating out of the bucket, he has no other actions to follow. Some are smarter than others and try anyway, some are more passive and just don't. Sounds like this one is more of a follow the leader type.....

Latest posts