Need help with a yearling heifer that went down

Help Support CattleToday:

ranchmom77

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
On New Year's Eve DH found one of our coming yearling replacement heifers stuck in the cement feed bunk. Not sure how she got in there but her back legs were splayed out behind her and she couldn't get up.
We got her out and into the barn where she's been since, but she still hasn't gotten up. She tries, but can't get her hind legs up underneath her far enough and ends up crawling just. Little ways and ending up with her hind legs splayed straight out behind her again. I've been bringing her food and water and she seems to be alert and fine except that she can't get up. We thought she'd come out of it on her own so didn't call the vet till yesterday. Vet said 10ccs of dex per day and to get her up with the loader if possible.
We did that today but a low barn roof made it impossible to lift her more that 3 ft.. She tried to get up and I put her back legs under her but she didn't put weight on them. I realize that it was just her first time and her legs will need more time and more lifts to get their strength back, but was hoping for any advice or help from anyone who's been there.
Thanks!
Jamie

Keep up with the dex and lifting her. We got one up after a week of being down like that. Rolled him from one side to the other a few times a day.

Give her an IV bottle of dextrose. Energy helps a lot. Get her out of the barn where you can get more lift if possible. Hobbles might work if her legs are spreading outward but won't be much help if she's sending them strait back. If she gets to where she's not trying that hard, get her to give you a good push and then hotshot her in the butt while she's trying.

Latest posts