need help with 2-3 month calf

Help Support CattleToday:

moloss

Reaction score
I just bought a weaned holstein calf and he's about 2-3 months....my first experiment with this (yes I'm not very smart).....anyhow he is severly undernurshed (boney) and slightly pot belled (not good).....anyway what do y'all recommend for supplementing this sad little dudes diet? thank you....Chris.

go 3 posts above this one by milkmaid titled bottle calves for newbies tells almost everything if question still not answered let us know

jerry27150":8fsu1612 said:
worm him & give him some good hay & calf starter. start him slow on the grain as too much in poor condition could kill him

:nod: :nod: :nod:

Only thing I would add is make sure the hay is crunchy...coastal hay...no alfalfa just yet.

Well, maybe not the only thing.

Not being able to see the calf, I can't say this as gospel...but...I've been known to start up with milk replacer again, along with the hay and calf starter...for the next couple of weeks, anyway. Use the amount of milk replacer powder that you would normally mix for a full bottle with half a bottle of water. Give it to him once a day...that is if you decide you would like to try this.

Alice