Need help walking the dog (not vice versa!!)

Help Support CattleToday:

LoveMoo11

Reaction score
My dog is ten months and I have been trying to train her to walk properly on a leash since she was a baby. We walk a couple times a week and she is always excited and pulling. I keep her on a short string ( I have a retractable leash) but it doesn't seem to help, she just chokes herself pulling. I also try to snap her back, but she is pretty strong and I end up hurting my arm instead. Saying "no!" works for a second then she starts right back up.After ten or fifteen minutes of walking, she is fine and stays mostly by my side. But how can I keep her by my side and not pulling for the whole walk?

LoveMoo11":2e5iikld said:
My dog is ten months and I have been trying to train her to walk properly on a leash since she was a baby. We walk a couple times a week and she is always excited and pulling. I keep her on a short string ( I have a retractable leash) but it doesn't seem to help, she just chokes herself pulling. I also try to snap her back, but she is pretty strong and I end up hurting my arm instead. Saying "no!" works for a second then she starts right back up.After ten or fifteen minutes of walking, she is fine and stays mostly by my side. But how can I keep her by my side and not pulling for the whole walk?

What breed? IMO I would toss out the retractable lead, get a leather one, get a choke collar and get someone who knows how to use them show you how to properly put it on and make a good correction.

I agree with MistyM... get a choke collar. Praise when the dog is good... be firm and let her know when she is not.

Have you tried a Halti or Gentle Leader? They work like a horse halter. They hate having something on their face at first but they get used to it, just like colts. Can you imagine breaking a calf or colt to lead with just a lasso around its neck? Same idea.

Watch the dominatrix on the animal channel. She has broekn dozens of dogs to lead on that show

I had a german shepard one time she was so hard to walk. I got fed up one day cause she pulled me to the ground one day and got all kinds of scrapes. Well after that I let her know quick I had had enough. What I did was put the choke collar high on her neck cause they dont like that much either. When she pulled I used a very short leash when she pulled I yanked her head hard towards me and said no very firm as I went in circles after awhile she got tired of being jerked on hard when she pulled and she finally started walking like she had some sense. This was before I ever knew bout that show Me or the Dog. But she does have some good advice and watch the dog whisperer he is a miracle worker.

redcowsrule33":1vgzslwv said:
Have you tried a Halti or Gentle Leader? They work like a horse halter. They hate having something on their face at first but they get used to it, just like colts. Can you imagine breaking a calf or colt to lead with just a lasso around its neck? Same idea.

I have a halti and it fits her fine, but as soon as she pulls it slides off her nose!! I've tried tightening it but she still slips the loop. I was thinking about getting a size smaller but it really seems to fit properly :?:
I will probably get a choke chain and try that out..thanks for the suggestions.
She's a pitbull and greyhound mix so she is pretty strong!

i really like the design of the gentle leader better than the halti lead. i would suggest joining an obedience class with your dog. well worth the money.

Its very easy put your dog on a short rope. Get a walking stick (i use a cattle sorting stick).Take your dog for a walk when the dog comes infront of you wack the stick in front of the dog and say heel /or stay behind what you say dosnt matter just use the same thing everytime.You may have to wack dog on the nose but it wont take long and the dog will stay by your side.Remember you have to be the pack leader dogs are pack animals and expect to have a leader if you are not the leader your dog will be the leader of the pack.I train cowdogs if you need more help feel free to pm me.

instead of a choke collar, use a pinch collar. They work in the same manner except they pinch instead of choke. These seem to be much more effective on teaching dogs to walk on a lead, and they are safer to use even though they look very threatening.

i agree with CypertJ i have used these in the past with good results they look wicked but really just feel like a pinch to the dog.
also if you use a short lead its bout a foot or so long NEVER use a retractable leash i hate those, seems peoples dogs are always trying to challenge my dogs when they are on those. You have no control at all (or very little) you can buy a very short leash and keep the dog closer and more in control that way.

OK, here is a short lesson in training dogs to not pull. First, buy a choke type collar, get the correct size, it should barely fit over the head. When you are standing in front of the dog putting the collar on, make a letter P out of the collar, with the straight part on the left as you are facing the front of the dog, put it over the dogs head. Hook the lead in the loop that was hanging on the end of the straight leg of the P shape. You need a short strong lead, or one you can easily roll up in your hand to the desired length. Position the choke collar up under the chin of the dog, you will have control over the head this way. If you let the choke collar go down around the lower part of the dogs neck, it will just lower it's head and start pulling. When it's under the dogs chin you can make the dog hold it's head up and you have control of the dog. Always make the dog walk on your left, that way you can tighten the collar when you hold the dogs head up. Keep the lead very short to start with and keep the dog right beside you where you can keep the head up, if it tries to pull just snap the lead. Some dogs you have to really teach them a lesson, some learn quick. Don't give the dog any lead length until it learns to behave.

I had a lab pup that was hard to teach leading to. I bought a trainng video and used this technique. He was trained in a day or two. Here where the basic training steps. Use a short leash and a choke collar. Whenever the dog starts to get ahead of you quickly reverse directions and take off walking at a fast walk. When you feel the dog resist don't stop walking. He will be pulled along for a few steps but will follow you. As soon as he gets past you again repeat the process. Pretty soon he realizes that if he passes you unpleasant things happen and if he stays beside you you will not switch directions on him. My lab became very well trained in a day or two. After a few days he would not even go past me to greet another dog.

HOSS":156ehz97 said:
I had a lab pup that was hard to teach leading to. I bought a trainng video and used this technique. He was trained in a day or two. Here where the basic training steps. Use a short leash and a choke collar. Whenever the dog starts to get ahead of you quickly reverse directions and take off walking at a fast walk. When you feel the dog resist don't stop walking. He will be pulled along for a few steps but will follow you. As soon as he gets past you again repeat the process. Pretty soon he realizes that if he passes you unpleasant things happen and if he stays beside you you will not switch directions on him. My lab became very well trained in a day or two. After a few days he would not even go past me to greet another dog.

Except for the choke collar that's how the dominatrix does it

dun":15x62lu5 said:
HOSS":15x62lu5 said:

Wow Dun! You have an interesting life :mrgreen:

HOSS":61pyv0lw said:
dun":61pyv0lw said:
HOSS":61pyv0lw said:

Wow Dun! You have an interesting life :mrgreen:

The "dominatrix"???? :lol2: :clap: :lol2: I've met a few of those. Just curios Dun, whose neck was attached to the leash?

Hoss - that is a very good technique you described! I have used it myself And it works very well. CAn't forget the rewards though, when they do things right.

HOSS":3g2xer0h said:

Ditto on what Hoss says. In addition, you mentioned you walk the dog a couple times a week? Change that to a couple times a day for a young dog. That dog is so excited about getting out that he'll be bouncing off the wall every time you take him out if you go several days between walks.

Latest posts