Need Help to train a ranch steer

Help Support CattleToday:

susanstirling

Reaction score
My friend and I got our sons ranch steers for 4-H, one ways about 600lbs and ours ways about 500lbs. Ours has always stayed behind the other onebut within a week was coming out and eating out of the bucket while my son held it, he even started licking his wrists. So then the next day he wouldn't come around then he would the next etc. Then we decided to seperate them and put ours in a smaller pen. So we go over he is laying down gets up my son (10) goes in he eats right away, then he cleaned the pen went back in and then he layed down so my son sat on the ground talking to him for a good 15 minutes, then he kept scooting towrads him till he was about 3' away, he stretched out his legs but Nubs got up so did my son, he ate some more. Then our friends got there and we were talking and next thing we know, he is snorting put his head down and shaking his head and started to come at him. Since then her husband has been going in with him now and he will occasionaly do this, it is like he is mad about seperating them. Tonite he started to do this while he was cleaning the pen, then he got the grain and he did a little better. What is the low, moo kinda like a purr mean. I would like to be able to touch him and get a halter on him. My friends sons steer is bigger and they are touching him a little and laying a rope on him, something has got to give. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks, susan

I would start by rubbing him all over with the handle end of a show stick or whip. Talk to him gently. For us about 2 or 3 nights of this calms them down pretty quick. We like to keep all the show calves together b/c they are herd animals. It may be a comfort thing for them, just my opinion;)

show time":f2v8s6it said:
I would start by rubbing him all over with the handle end of a show stick or whip. Talk to him gently. For us about 2 or 3 nights of this calms them down pretty quick. We like to keep all the show calves together b/c they are herd animals. It may be a comfort thing for them, just my opinion;)

We don't have a halter on him yet, because we can't get close enough. Last week he licked my son as he fed out of the bucket. Now he has started acting nasty, throwing his head and pawing, should we put them back together? I just don't want it to ruin the progress my friends son has had. If we use a show stick to touch him will it startle him? Thanks for help. I am use to horses not steers. Susan

susanstirling":3ft5kd1z said:
show time":3ft5kd1z said:

We don't have a halter on him yet, because we can't get close enough. Last week he licked my son as he fed out of the bucket. Now he has started acting nasty, throwing his head and pawing, should we put them back together? I just don't want it to ruin the progress my friends son has had. If we use a show stick to touch him will it startle him? Thanks for help. I am use to horses not steers. Susan

You don't have to put the halter on to do this. Just put them both in a small pen and lightly touch both of them w/ the stick. It won't startle them, it gets them use to ppl and the touch. You can keep a little distance for safety, but this helps calms them for the future halter. Just set the stick on their back, as they move, you move w/ them (keeping the stick on them as walking together). Shortly you will be able to rub them all over w/ the stick. As they calm down you will be able to start putting your hands on them and/or brushing. I like to have them calmed down before we start w/ halters. One steer shouldn't affect the other's progress. Remember to move slowly and talk quiet and gentle. Also keep in mind they are like children...be consistant! Work w/ them daily to continue moving forward w/ your progress. Let me know if you don't understand anything I am trying to say. I can show you much easier than typing.

show time":30r4h73f said:
susanstirling":30r4h73f said:
show time":30r4h73f said:

You don't have to put the halter on to do this. Just put them both in a small pen and lightly touch both of them w/ the stick. It won't startle them, it gets them use to ppl and the touch. You can keep a little distance for safety, but this helps calms them for the future halter. Just set the stick on their back, as they move, you move w/ them (keeping the stick on them as walking together). Shortly you will be able to rub them all over w/ the stick. As they calm down you will be able to start putting your hands on them and/or brushing. I like to have them calmed down before we start w/ halters. One steer shouldn't affect the other's progress. Remember to move slowly and talk quiet and gentle. Also keep in mind they are like children...be consistant! Work w/ them daily to continue moving forward w/ your progress. Let me know if you don't understand anything I am trying to say. I can show you much easier than typing.

So do you think seperating them has made our steer mad? The other one is progressing well for the 2 1/2 weeks we have had them, I am beginning to understand why people buy the "show steers" ready to go. But that takes all the work out of it. I appreciate all your help any input is greatly appreciated. I just worry when people say you can't take a ranch steer and turn him into a 4-H show steer. What do you think? Also I read the other things you and others had to say about the 4-H shows, I grew up with some of that and that is why I get angry. I couldn't afford a show steer, so my son has to learn from his mohter and her friends what hard work is all about. However I wish I had someone that could help us in this situation because he has been trying and not giving up,there everyday, the day that steer licked him he called his grandpa to tell him the greatest thing ever happened to him and he wasn't washing his hands. I am sure he won't be in the top of the show but he will know what hard work is. thanks

When I showed I always bought ranch steers and what I did is either before I left the ranch or when I took him to the vet to be casterated and dehorned I would put the halter on him. When at home I would tie him up and spray him down with a water hose everyday. That has about the same effect as rubbing him with the show stick just gets him used to being touched. I would start halter breaking as soon as I got him home. Most of the time I would have him leading before I could get my hands on him. I would get the halter on him and even when your able to get your hands on him I highly dought he will stand there while you put a halter on him. You are going to have to hem him up to do it. Either run him through a chute or use a couple of heavy duty panels or gates.

when i used to get ranch steers when we went to get them they got vacinated and while in the squeeze chute we put a halter on them and a long lead and tied them off to a pole let them fight for a bit and eventually got them on the trailer. and once we got them home we kept them tied for awhile then let them loose in their small pen together and left the halter in them. but no lead.[they were rope and chain halters] so as the days went on we ould catch and tie them and use a small rake or broom to rub on them from a safe distance and worked our way up the rake to them. remember to start on thier backs and sides but dont forget to rub bellies and legs too. and try leaving a radio on all the time so they hear people all day.

I'm glad your son is so excited! All calves have different dispositions. It's hard to tell why your steer has gotten snorty. We have a heifer (and past calves too) that got that way when seperated from the steer's. Since we got her broke out, she does fine on her own. Ranch steer's are fine to show. To me it starts with gaining experience, not quality. Check your PM.

Whatever you do dont put them back in the same corral!! I bought two ranch steers last year. Both wilder than snot, when they got home. While they were being weighed, we put the halters on, I nearly broke my arm at the elbow, but we got the halters on. When i finally got them home, i backed the trailer to the gate and let them in their pin, the biggest one (Zeus) tried jumping through the bars, and the little one (Apollo) was very skitish and hid behing Zeus most of the time. I left the rope halters on them a couple of days so i was able to catch them, and they got used to the halters pretty fast. I took them off within 3 days and was able to put a nylon chain halter on them. I left the chain halter on them for another five days, and it was very easy to catch them with the cotton lead rope. By the end of week one, Apollo was setting up and walking great. Zeus took a week and half before he would do what his brother was doing. I left both mine pinned together and that was a big mistake for me. They grew attached to one another. when it came to fair week, they were pinned right next to each other, but were one went the other had to GO! Zeus would paw, scream, and struggle to follow his brother out of the barn. Zeus would not go in the wash rack without his brother going in first. Zeus would not go into the show ring with out Apollo. TO be quite frank about it, it was seperation anceity. To me it sounds like your steer is not aggressive but more dominant. I had a steer  (Thor) that did the same thing to me, and I bought him from a show steer breeder!!! He would charge me in the pin, corner me and try to ram me. (and im a girl!!) He would try to jump me, and run off when i walked him, you name it he did it. (My father didnt help me with these issues at all, I did everything by myself, while my mother watched.)( Ive walked away with bruises bigger than a childs head, sprained anckles, knees, wrists, brusied feet, and bones :cry2: . (and yet i still love it! :D !).You just have to stay persistent. Everyday, go in, and rub him with the show stick, talk to him. (just like horses, steer read your emotions to, so make sure your son is relaxed and confident, but not COCKY!)I was COCKY one day and i landed on my butt, several feet away from my steer, Thor. Find a treat that the steer likes : apples, bannanas, sugar cubes, peppermint horse treats. and try to get to him that way.and if that doesnt work, then you need to stand up to the steer. He charges you stand there and wait for him to come. Smack him on the nose as hard as you can, your are the boss, he isnt. If he drops his head to butt you, use your boot to kick him in the nose. The owner needs to be seen as the dominant one. For the kid is showing him not the parent. The parent can still go in to assure safety but it should be the kids that shows the dominance.Ive heard stories of people carring 2 x4's in the pin with them and smacking the steer with those we he charges. (Me, ive never done that.)I hope this helps, and I hope he gets better!! Its no fun haveing a rotten steer, but its part of the experience!! Any questions just ask!!! Good Luck!!!! :banana:

Latest posts