need help picking AI sire

Help Support CattleToday:

footballjdtractor

Reaction score
I have 35 heifers that I am going to breed this fall. They are all black, medium to large frame. Mostly angus, angus/simm, angus/gelv cross. The man I bought 6 of them from said he would AI all of them for me for the cost of the "juice" and the synchronization drugs. I would like to use a herford bull. After much internet searching I have narrowed it down to 1. select sires bull tradition
2.ABS bulls progress or progression
3. pharo cattle company bull 123
I also have a calving ease angus bull laying underneath the shade tree who would be glad to do it.
Any helpful advice or past experience would be appreciated.

What are you wanting to add to them? Muscle? Volume? Are you wanting replacements? Terminals? Personally, the bulls you've chosen would not be at the top of my list, but if you tell what your wanting, maybe even pictures there are plently of good Hereford people on here that would give you their advice.

CPL is right. Bull selection should be made AFTER you have carefully decided what your future goals (10 years, more or less) are going to be, and what type Beef operation you desire to pursue - Maternal, Terminal or a combination of both. It would be very advisable to not get the "Bull" before the cart!

Obviously, from your current cow herd, you are going to be highly involved in crossbreeding genetics. I would suggest that you carefully concentrate on what the results two and three generations down the line from today will be, and THEN decide if those results are what your goals will turn out to be. Using Stabilizer composite cross bred bulls will "leapfrog" your cattle program several years ahead of laborious and time consuming - what I call 'plodding' - breeding plans. Using a composite bull with British and Continental programed matings (anything between 50% British / 50% Continental and 75% British / 25% Continental is my recommendation. That protocol will save you years of trial and error and wasted time!

One more suggestion I would present to you: Contact Lee Leachman - www.leachman.com. He can make your understanding absolutely crystal clear! Tell him that I said to "Open your eyes!"

DOC HARRIS

I am wanting to add muscling and depth to my cattle. I would probably save all of the heifers for replacements. To help offset the cost of the breeding I was also considering saving the best bull calf for a herd sire replacement.

footballjdtractor":1691hfq8 said:
I am wanting to add muscling and depth to my cattle. I would probably save all of the heifers for replacements. To help offset the cost of the breeding I was also considering saving the best bull calf for a herd sire replacement.

123 would be my pick if you want to cut size while adding muscling, capacity and doing ability.

There are several that I like. Many of them are Feltons influenced. Legend 242 is a definite calving ease combined with carcass, and I really like his own phenotype. The Day Zato bull would work well IMO. MSU MF Hudson 19H is a bull I like a lot. I've owned two of his grandsons now, and they've really nicked well with my cows. If you like the older show heifer I've posted, she is a great grandaughter of 19H. He has a lot of growth and carcass to go along with low BW. Mark Domino 8020...trying to remember how low his BW is...he's a real cow maker. That Lad bull that Northern Rancher has posted is nice.

Latest posts