Need help on this....

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I really need help with this one. I purchased an impressive Angus bull from a very reputable breeder. When I got home with him I noticed that he clicks his pasterns. I have seen this over the years and have consistently culled the clickers. Should I take this bull back to the breeder or will he grow out of it? WIll he pass it on to his offspring? I have contacted the breeder and he will gladly take him back. I have halter broke the bull, and have spent a lot ot time fitting him and if there is anything that I can do short of taking him back I will. I have seen a lot of clicking at shows all over the past two years...Is this a soundness problem not being managed? I would appreciate you folks out there, who have had any experience or have knowledge about this, to comment on this..Thanks for your input

The only time that I have seen this problem ( nearly ) is in show bulls that are penned and fed hard. Usually they work fine and even get better with exercise. But it is a soundness problem. If you intend on showing him or his offspring it is a problem. You need more foot and bone.

What do you mean by "clicking his pasterns?" Is the pastern the part of the leg behind and just above the hoof? Does this actually make a clicking sound? I looked in the dictionary and didnt see aything relating pastern to cattle, just horses, so please pass on a little more info in case I ever come across this situation someday. Thanks!

I don't understand the "clicking the pasterns" either. The only clicking I can think of is from their toes clicking together.

Enlighten us please! This sounds interesting..

A bulls pasturn us the joint just above the hoof. It would be the wrist on your hand.This is normally a fluid moving joint but on some animals when they get heavy this joint snaps when the weight of the animal breaks the joint over center. Sometimes you might be able to hear it but usually it just looks like the joint pops. Similiar to a hock that pops when they walk.

I've always thought it was an age/ body parts growing at different rate thing. I've seen it in both foals and calves. The ones I've seen appear about the time they were weaned until it magically disappears at about a year old. Never seen it in anything older and would seriously consider culling if that was the case.

For those asking, if he is asking about the same thing I'm thinking of, it looks like the joint above the back hoof suddenly "pops", "snaps", "clicks" into place instead of rotating in place as the animal steps forward. Like the front tendon is too tight.

Yes Ollie is correct. I have seen a great deal of it this year in show calves. I think it is something that is overlooked when purchases are made. I had a great heifer that was placed last in a show lst year because of it. She did not start until she was about 9 mo old....The Judge said that she was not sound enough to place any higher.. I have seen it for years but have culled it in my herd. It definitely is not something you would want in your herd....I have seen some so bad thay they could hardly walk. It appears that it is not related to being too straight on the rear legs...This bull I have has tremendous bone and very large feet and has plenty of cushion to his pasterns. Thanks for the replies.

Just as a side note has anyone seen it outside of angus or hereford?

This is also referred to as "knuckling". My feed man says that it is also related to mineral deficiencies. Mainly Selinium, Magnesium, and Copper. It may be worth a shot to try a good mineral source. We use a chelated mineral and have good luck with it.

Thanks Clifflem, I will definitely try to find minerals to correct this. I will post my relsults on this board....

Thanks again all who replied

Clefflim, Not to disagree with your feed man but why do you mainly see it in show cattle and replacement bulls if it is a mineral problem. I would think this section of the industry would get the best of care mineral included. I have some neighbors that don't hardly feed salt. I have never seen one of those thin little whiperwill cows of his having pasturn trouble