Need help on slaughtering a hog

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
We are a couple of weeks from slaughtering our first ever hog. I'll have a mobile farm butcher do it. My questions are, how would you have it cut, what cuts? The only thing I want for sure is to try to do some of our own bacon, I believe that is from pork belly .... Correct? What other cuts would you recommend?

Thanks,
Alan

SOrry about the other post I couldn't resist. first question I would ask is what cut do you not like?
1305542981390.jpg

M5farm":76lpdxiw said:
SOrry about the other post I couldn't resist. first question I would ask is what cut do you not like?

No problem, if I could it would be all bacon also, had my first taste of what they called English bacon! Wow! nice thick cut bacon about four inches round, I would like to know the cut that came off of. Threw a slice on a grilled cheese burger and wished I had another.

My wife likes pork a lot more than I do, but I'll eat and enjoy any cut I have ever tried. To be clearer on this, I would rather have a T-bone or ribeye than a pork loin. But you don't have to call me to the table twice on a pork loin with good potatoes and corn...... I like all cuts. :tiphat:

I'll take the feet. Can I have the head, blood and the entrails too? You can keep the squeel.

You actually can make the whole carcass into bacon except the hams. Gotta use them for something else. Might not be the bacon you are accustomed too but its good all the same.

Alan, we don't raise our own hogs; have bought from a friend that raises a few for a couple of years. We usually buy 1/2 -- we only smoke ham, bacon, hocks. We take chops, steaks and the incidentals as ground pork, or you could get that in sausage. With just two of us, we don't get a whole loin.

Latest posts