Need help on pricing pregnant cows & pairs

Help Support CattleToday:

Utah

Reaction score
Hello Everyone! Hey, I am really needing help buying some new cows. What I am looking for is some pregnant cows (2nd time or more) and some calfs. I'd consider pairs too.

But I have a problem in that the prices are all over and I don't know what is common for cows this time of year. Can anyone help?

Angus, Baldie, or Herfords:

What would pregnant cows, 4 to 8 years old, go for that would calf in March to April?

What would pairs go for with same age cow and month old calfs?

Do you think a rookie could calf the pregnant cows, carry the calfs to weaning, and then sell the cows at auction next Summer without absolutely losing my shirt?

I am looking at getting 5 or 6 pregnant cows.

Thanks for any and all replies!!

Utah

Utah":rbwvfvk4 said:
Hello Everyone! Hey, I am really needing help buying some new cows. What I am looking for is some pregnant cows (2nd time or more) and some calfs. I'd consider pairs too.

But I have a problem in that the prices are all over and I don't know what is common for cows this time of year. Can anyone help?

Angus, Baldie, or Herfords:

What would pregnant cows, 4 to 8 years old, go for that would calf in March to April?

What would pairs go for with same age cow and month old calfs?

Do you think a rookie could calf the pregnant cows, carry the calfs to weaning, and then sell the cows at auction next Summer without absolutely losing my shirt?

I am looking at getting 5 or 6 pregnant cows.

Thanks for any and all replies!!

Utah
Don't even try to buy any cattle until after Jan. 1.

Go spend some time at your local sale barn. Visit with your neighbors and see if they have any cattle to sell. Do any ranches in your area, or your state cattlemens assn, have a replacement female sale?

Whether you can make any money or not lose your shirt will depend on how well you buy the cows and the market. I know people who do this regularly. Some years they do well, some years they don't. Good luck....

Are you concrened there just are not many catlle marketed between the holiday's or that they will be cheaper after that?
My experience is they start going up after the 1st.

Ball park prices in Missouri -

Young cows 2 to 6 years old - good cows 900 - 1200
Same age - lower quality 650 - 900

Old cows - all over the board

Have been calling my neighbors that own cattle - very hard to find sellers. Went to the local auction and saw some "gummers" that are sold as pregnant. I worry about re-selling the old cows when done. And I see a lot of "wild" range cattle but they would probably just give me problems jumping fence.

Thanks for the reply from Missouri! Your cattle are a bit cheaper from what I can tell.

What does a full grown cow weigh typically BEFORE and AFTER calving? Sorry for the ignorant question - I just don't know.

I'm doing this web site by memory so just let me know if it don't work it's, http://www.ams.usda.gov and it will have prices in your area and state as well as about anywhere in the US. Just navigate through it to find cattle sales. Keep in mind your not seeing what is being sold so it's just a "ball park".

J

The cows are in at the sale barn for a reason, need to figure out why. IMO if a guy has spent the time and $$ in purchasing/retaining a heifer, bred her and welcomed a calf then if she was what he had hoped for as a producer and the calf was what he expected why is she for sale.
Best bet is to find a producer, you can see the sire & dam and walk among the herd to make your selection. Yeah, I walk with the cows...to old to bring one home that I have to go collect from the neighbors or race to the fence.
Up here a decent pair usually goes for $1200, bred back. Have a friend who sells nice Lim heifers for a buck a pound plus fifty for the registration...won't sell her cows.
Good luck...and yes, wait a few weeks after the first of the year and see what is run through the sale.
DMc

3rd to6th calf cows here $1100 to $1590 at the last cow sale bred heifers $1200 to $1450 broken mouth short term cows bottomed out at $800.Deal of the day were some black bred heifers weighing 900#s $910 a head they could have weighed 1050 with some groceries.In 2 years you'll be able to buy all these for about 1/2 price.be careful..

DD RANCH":1a3z71bf said:
3rd to6th calf cows here $1100 to $1590 at the last cow sale bred heifers $1200 to $1450 broken mouth short term cows bottomed out at $800.Deal of the day were some black bred heifers weighing 900#s $910 a head they could have weighed 1050 with some groceries.In 2 years you'll be able to buy all these for about 1/2 price.be careful..

Thanks for the reply! So, why do you see prices going down in two years or so? I agree to be careful, but I would think prices would go up substantially seeing what fuel prices is doing to farmer's plantings.

Utah":i248b7ok said:
DD RANCH":i248b7ok said:

Thanks for the reply! So, why do you see prices going down in two years or so? I agree to be careful, but I would think prices would go up substantially seeing what fuel prices is doing to farmer's plantings.

The western states are busy restocking their cowherds so there will be lots of heifers calving in a year from now those calves will hit the market in 2007.In 1993 or94 bred cows were around $1000 in the spring of 1996 I bought some bred heifers on March 31st for $410 a head one month later they had all calved out and someone else had fed them thru the winter.I would be careful to get buried in high price cows it will take years to turn a profit.One thing about high prices they don't last long.Around here we are getting less Ranches but the one's that stay just keep getting bigger.

DD RANCH":r6w4m3tl said:
These prices are about what I have been seeing around my house.

denoginnizer":1g7anezk said:
DD RANCH":1g7anezk said:
These prices are about what I have been seeing around my house.
Yesterday, at a Kentucky sale:Shortmouth Cows,7-8 mo. bred 500-600.00 some slightly higher.
Good Quality Fullmouths 1/2 term or better 650.00-900.00
Very few Pairs, ones that I saw sell 800-950.00, small calves.
I saw several head of Charolais X Cows, hurting for groceries, but large frame, sell for 600-660.00, 4-5 months bred.
There were some lots of good quality bred cows, in groups of 3-5 that averaged 600-700. For some reason a lot of yellow Cattle yesterday.Maybe they're all fixin' to put Black in the Pasture??

Crowderfarms":1v6ukx86 said:
Yesterday, at a Kentucky sale:Shortmouth Cows,7-8 mo. bred 500-600.00 some slightly higher.
Good Quality Fullmouths 1/2 term or better 650.00-900.00
Very few Pairs, ones that I saw sell 800-950.00, small calves.
I saw several head of Charolais X Cows, hurting for groceries, but large frame, sell for 600-660.00, 4-5 months bred.
There were some lots of good quality bred cows, in groups of 3-5 that averaged 600-700. For some reason a lot of yellow Cattle yesterday.Maybe they're all fixin' to put Black in the Pasture??

Those are the prices I'm hoping for around here. Going to a stock cow sale tomorrow

dun

Dun, I forgot to mention, 3 and younger Angus Bulls, some tested, brought 850-1020.00 Weights up to 1700 lbs.Hereford Cows, and Hereford X Cows were the bargains of the sale. I bought 2 head of 4 yr old heavy frame, heavy bred for 650.00/and 700.00. I was aiming to buy more, but the danged Menonites were there, and it was like me bidding against Donald Trump. :mad: I did give them a run for their money on 4-5 head. :lol:

Crowderfarms":1q8k3acu said:
Dun, I forgot to mention, 3 and younger Angus Bulls, some tested, brought 850-1020.00 Weights up to 1700 lbs.Hereford Cows, and Hereford X Cows were the bargains of the sale. I bought 2 head of 4 yr old heavy frame, heavy bred for 650.00/and 700.00. I was aiming to buy more, but the danged Menonites were there, and it was like me bidding against Donald Trump. :mad: I did give them a run for their money on 4-5 head. :lol:

One of the local Hereford breeders has a bunch of 2nd and 3rd stage cows bred to Hereford bulls consigned. The way Herefords sell around here I'm hoping to get some bargains too.

dun

dun":3mjkekkp said:
Crowderfarms":3mjkekkp said:

One of the local Hereford breeders has a bunch of 2nd and 3rd stage cows bred to Hereford bulls consigned. The way Herefords sell around here I'm hoping to get some bargains too.

dun
Looked a while back like the Herefords were going to make a big comeback around these parts.I missed a sale 3 weeks ago, and the a bunch of the boys told me darn good Fullmouth Hereford Cows, short bred, were only bringing 500-550.00 a head.I have to admit, I get poked at a bunch for buying so many of them, but I put a Black Bull on em' and have the last laugh.

Crowderfarms":3av5lv2x said:
Looked a while back like the Herefords were going to make a big comeback around these parts.I missed a sale 3 weeks ago, and the a bunch of the boys told me darn good Fullmouth Hereford Cows, short bred, were only bringing 500-550.00 a head.I have to admit, I get poked at a bunch for buying so many of them, but I put a Black Bull on em' and have the last laugh.

A couple of years ago a friend of mine sold his racnh in CO and all of the cows. Moved to southern MO and bought every Hereford cow he could get his hands on that were any good. He really got the ol razberry for buying those cows that were so cheap. You're right, the last laugh was well worth his time and money. Put a very good blk Angus bull on them and made a truck laod of money, kept back a bunch of the heifers and has done real well. The last time I talked to him he was thinking of selling all of the crossbreds and going out and buying a bunch of straighbred Herefords again. He's thinking that lightening may strike twice.

dun

utah,

This should give you ongoing info;

http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsmnpubs/csauction.htm

We have found some unusually good buys for the commercial herd these holidays. Always found it a good time to buy because not to many are even at the barns. If the winter is heavy in your area about middle of January usually there is a down tick..... because many sell due to lack of hay/pasture,etc. I wouldn't expect to see much of a downturn though this year. There seems to be a lot of demand for the avalibility.

Latest posts