Need Help on milk.`

Help Support CattleToday:

cow_crazy_101

Reaction score
O.k I have two bottle baby goats and well i am feeding calf Replacer. I that o.k.?? I have been hereing stories that it will kill them.

Please inlighten me in this matter.

I am feeding Land O Lakes Amplifier Max Milk Replacer. The scoop that came with it says Kids-1 round scoop (125 grams) in 1 litre of water. I am sure that someone will respond to you soon who will know.

I don't know...I know that Purina makes Pro Nurse which works for all kinds of baby animal, including calves and goats...and I recommend it.

Alice

Alice":11k6he8d said:
I don't know...I know that Purina makes Pro Nurse which works for all kinds of baby animal, including calves and goats...and I recommend it.

Alice

do you know how much it would cost? 10pds of Save A Calf is $13.00 so anything cheaper is a given.

cow_crazy_101":1gsc9nhg said:
Alice":1gsc9nhg said:

Alice

do you know how much it would cost? 10pds of Save A Calf is $13.00 so anything cheaper is a given.

I just called and asked at the feed store I get it from. I'm afraid it's a good deal more than what you are paying...8 pounds for $22.69. You might be able to find it cheaper somewhere else...I'm sorry.

Alice

Alice":16yzvhlc said:
cow_crazy_101":16yzvhlc said:
Alice":16yzvhlc said:

Alice

I just called and asked at the feed store I get it from. I'm afraid it's a good deal more than what you are paying...8 pounds for $22.69. You might be able to find it cheaper somewhere else...I'm sorry.

Alice

OUCH that is alot!! maybe i can get it cheaper here..that was sweet of you to call and find out for me :) :heart:

cow_crazy_101":b2dwoy6u said:
Alice":b2dwoy6u said:
No problem... :)

Alice

How are your cows/bulls/calves/yearlings/ ect doing???

They are doing wonderful!!!!!

This rain has grown our grass beyond belief and has them fat and contented. They look great! Thanks for asking. :)

Alice

Alice":fabbg91y said:
cow_crazy_101":fabbg91y said:
Alice":fabbg91y said:
No problem... :)

Alice

How are your cows/bulls/calves/yearlings/ ect doing???

They are doing wonderful!!!!!

This rain has grown our grass beyond belief and has them fat and contented. They look great! Thanks for asking. :)

Alice

sound like mine!!! so many people are complaining about the rain. I am like " this is a blessing, not something to whine at!"
the grass and popped up and the calves are growing. A neighbor buys cows that are 3 or 4 on a BCS and feed them for a year breeds and gets calves outta them then sells them at a 6-7 BCS them does it again.. I think the funny part is that he has 40+ cow calves and didn't pull a single one was not there for a single birth and yet he has All healthy babies Really a blessing!!!, wait now that i think about it he lost one baby back in november.Was to big for the momma and the momma had ballon teats so she died 18 dyas later..we had pulled her and i bottled her.
even better he lets me work them :lol: :lol: :D :) !! i love going for walks and looking at all the babies.

Walking and looking at baby calves has got to be one of the most therapeutic things goin'... :D

Alice

Well, our last heifer had her calf Monday night--69# red angus bull that came out backwards--feet first--had to pull him. The calf didn't recover very quick and hour two was approaching so gave him some colostrum supplement. Mama is very protective of him but sometimes lets him nurse and other times walks away. When she walks away, he runs to any teat he can find to eat. He seems to be active for his age but I am concerned he isn't getting enough to eat. Put his eartag in tonight and he acts like he is defeated.

Any advice would be great. Should we start supplementing with replacement milk?

Thanks,

Clodkicker":pwfoo0vc said:
Well, our last heifer had her calf Monday night--69# red angus bull that came out backwards--feet first--had to pull him. The calf didn't recover very quick and hour two was approaching so gave him some colostrum supplement. Mama is very protective of him but sometimes lets him nurse and other times walks away. When she walks away, he runs to any teat he can find to eat. He seems to be active for his age but I am concerned he isn't getting enough to eat. Put his eartag in tonight and he acts like he is defeated.

Any advice would be great. Should we start supplementing with replacement milk?

Thanks,

Trust your instincts...if you feel he needs supplementing, then yes, do it!

Alice

we adopted a calf on to a heifer that wasn't giving him enough milk (he was big)
twice a day he got a bottle (plus adoptive Mom all day long)
finally 2 bottles in a row that he wouldn't eat and we figured we were no longer needed
that steer is doing great - he is a month old and out in the pasture with his buddies running and playing

There are a lot of milk replacers that are fomulated for multiple breeds. Manna Pro has a few. See if you can find unimilk or Nurseall. There are also a lot of milk replacers that are made just for goats. FYI - All milk replacers are skyrocketing in price.

Latest posts