Need help on clipping advice

Help Support CattleToday:

steershower123

Reaction score
Hi I got my steer for this years auction in August and he already has about 2 inches of hair. Should I body clip him or just brush everything forward. Ive never had a steer with this much hair. Also should I get 20 or 13 tooth blocking blades? Lastly what do you guys recommend the smart sensation brush or hair wizard.

Is your final show in August? Or did you buy him in August? If you bought him in August, what is the date of the show that is most important to you? (Like state fair, NWSS, NAILE, etc.) Being that it is early February (assuming your show isn't until summer), I would just brush all his hair forward. Once he starts shedding, then I would get the Sullivan's Dually Hair Shedding Comb and use that to get the old hair out so that new hair can come in. I have a smart sensation comb that I won at a clipping demonstration, and even though I haven't used it much, I would much rather have the hair wizard (if I could only have one). I think the smart sensation brushes are better for training and growing hair, but on show day (or practicing show day prep at home) I think the hair wizard would be better. As for the blocking blades, I use the Andis Super Blocking Blade, and the Medium Blending Blade. Judging by the picture, I think the Andis Super Blocking Blade has 18 teeth. I don't have enough experience to be able to tell you whether to go with 13 or 20, but we had a number of people recommend the Andis Super Blocking Blade as the blade to get if you can only afford one. What breed is your steer?

My last show is in August. Since he hasn't started to shed his hair yet I don't think he will lose a lot of it. He is 3/4 maine anjou and 1/4 angus.

What are your show rules? Is it a hair show or a slick sheared show?
If it is a hair show, I would brush and blow his hair forward. If is slick sheared show, I would just brush it as it lays. I wouldn't clip during the winter months.

Latest posts