Need help on cattle breed

Help Support CattleToday:

chadreed88

Reaction score
If you had to choose a breed (or a couple) of cattle to raise and sell what would it be and why? I'm trying to decide what breed to go with but don't know all the good and the bad about each breed so thought I would ask on this board. Looking for something that calves easy, easy to handle (I know this has to do with different things) calves that get to the 600-700 lb range fairly quick.

You are in TX. First thing you'd best consider is cows that can nurse calves through the summer. Think of how our whitetail compare to those in northern climates. People feed them year round here and they are not nearly as big as those in cold climates.

For me the choice would be brangus. But anything with ear is acceptable.

backhoeboogie":yk55eo9z said:
You are in TX. First thing you'd best consider is cows that can nurse calves through the summer. Think of how our whitetail compare to those in northern climates. People feed them year round here and they are not nearly as big as those in cold climates.

For me the choice would be brangus. But anything with ear is acceptable.

I wholly agree. Something with a brahman influence would be the best for your part of the country. They will be better able to tolerate heat and parasites are not as big a problem. I like Brafords but anything with Brahman blood would be best.

I agree with the posts above but seeing your more into Northeast Texas herfords, angus and Limos should all work in that area as well. In my area anything black with some ear seems to sell best day in and day out.

Bonsmara is a breed that was specifically developed to be heat tolerant. The breed came to the USA from South Africa in 1998. There are only about 5,000 head in the US. The breed is a composite of Hereford, Shorthorn, and Africaner. The Bonsmara is a very dark red animal with no hump or ear. It is thick skinned with very little hair--especially in the summer. Texas a & M has conducted a significant amount of research on the Breed the past few years. The 1/2 blood really look nice. As you can probably guess, I am involved with the Breed. Good luck with whatever you choose.

chadreed88":txh3skqe said:
If you had to choose a breed (or a couple) of cattle to raise and sell what would it be and why? I'm trying to decide what breed to go with but don't know all the good and the bad about each breed so thought I would ask on this board. Looking for something that calves easy, easy to handle (I know this has to do with different things) calves that get to the 600-700 lb range fairly quick.
you can do this with brangus cows, charolais bull. without question. and beat that a little :nod:

If you are planning on selling them at the sale barn I would just go and ask the buyers what they wanted and go from there.

I'd get a list of 4-5 breeds you are interested in and then see what you can get the best deal on. You may want to try to buy from an individual so you can go to the guys place and see what their temperment is like. If temperment is very important you may not want to buy them at the sale barn, its just more difficult to tell.

Good Luck. There are lots of good breeds out there.

Latest posts