Need Help Now!

Help Support CattleToday:

They did take the cow to the vet. However, on the way to vet she died. Earlier in the week, she had a case of mastitis. Never heard of mastitis before the calf was born. Maybe she was having a reaction to the medication that caused her to go into labor or maybe anaphylactic shock (sp). I can't reach the kid to see if they are going to ask the vet to conduct an autopsy.

ffamom":1frp9kr2 said:
They did take the cow to the vet. However, on the way to vet she died. Earlier in the week, she had a case of mastitis. Never heard of mastitis before the calf was born. Maybe she was having a reaction to the medication that caused her to go into labor or maybe anaphylactic shock (sp). I can't reach the kid to see if they are going to ask the vet to conduct an autopsy.

They strip her out before calving? ...must have, or they wouldn't have known she had mastitis. I wouldn't have stripped her in the first place.

If I remember right, anaphylectic shock would show up immediately (minutes) after having been given the drugs...that is, if it was given IM, IV, or SubQ. I think IMM (in the udder) it might take longer to show signs of shock. I think. Did they give her something IM/SubQ just prior to taking her to the vet? ToDAY is a common mastitis treatment; to the best of my knowledge it is a penicillin, and if the heifer was treated with it, she could have had a delayed reaction to the penicillin. Wouldn't think it would be enough to actually kill her with only one tube of the stuff, but I could be wrong.

Still goes back to that 'mastitis'...they shouldn't have known if she had mastitis problems, because they shouldn't have been stripping her. (And of course, the next question is whether they know the difference between very thick colostrum and mastitis.)

She began treatment on Saturday. One quarter was 3 times the size of the others and she was running 106 temp. She was seen and treated by a local vet. I don't know which meds were prescribed, but one was similar to Today and one was something for the fever (not banamine.) He was told to strip the teat 2 or 3 times a day. I don't know if he did that are not.

OK, that would be different. That Saturday - yesterday - or Saturday last week, eight days ago?

They culture it? Ecoli mastitis can kill a cow.

Oh...and yes, cows can have mastitis prior to calving. Heifers can have mastitis before being bred. All it is, is an intramammary infection.

Latest posts