Need Help in Halter Breaking A Longhorn Steer

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Hello! :)

I just bought a 15 month old longhorn steer and while he is very sweet, I can hand feed him range cubes and he lets me brush him while he's eating out of the bucket. However, I try to pet him with just my hands in front of his face and he starts swinging his head! He clunked my hand pretty good.OW!! I'm keeping him in a horse stall right now while I try to earn his trust. I really need to get him halter-broke and he's just not co-operating. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do to be able to get a halter on him so that I can move him to another stall and so that he can be bathed? Any advice is most certainly welcome and very much appreciated!! :)

[email protected]

put him in a narrow alley and put a board behind him and pet him until he gets use to it , do this for a few days and then put a halter on him until he gets used to it and then thake the board out and move it back a few steps and lead him forward and back a few steps until he gets used to that and then move the board and lead him down the alley and finally let him out and he should lead. be patient and take time to let him get used to each move until him does it without jumping around.

> Hello! :)

> I just bought a 15 month old
> longhorn steer and while he is
> very sweet, I can hand feed him
> range cubes and he lets me brush
> him while he's eating out of the
> bucket. However, I try to pet him
> with just my hands in front of his
> face and he starts swinging his
> head! He clunked my hand pretty
> good.OW!! I'm keeping him in a
> horse stall right now while I try
> to earn his trust. I really need
> to get him halter-broke and he's
> just not co-operating. Does anyone
> have any ideas as to what I can do
> to be able to get a halter on him
> so that I can move him to another
> stall and so that he can be
> bathed? Any advice is most
> certainly welcome and very much
> appreciated!! :)

[email protected]

Thank you for the reply, Jim :)

I took your advice and have used your steps to move him into a clean stall and it worked like a charm. :) I have also been able to put a halter on him yesterday and have been able to lead him for a few steps. He's also letting me groom him and clean his stall and he seems to like me better than my husband. lol :) I have aspirations to show him in some non- haltered classes this Fall and hope to have him broken to ride next Spring. :)

[email protected]

Latest posts