Need help identifying weed

Help Support CattleToday:

J+ Cattle

Reaction score
OK, what is it?
Unidentified_Weed.jpg

The pasture was sprayed at the end of May with Rangestar (generic 2-4-D + dicamba) and it did a good job of killing the weeds with the exception of this one. Any idea what it is and what will kill it.

J+ Cattle":3q9f48z2 said:
OK, what is it?
Unidentified_Weed.jpg

The pasture was sprayed at the end of May with Rangestar (generic 2-4-D + dicamba) and it did a good job of killing the weeds with the exception of this one. Any idea what it is and what will kill it.

The picture is so small it is hard to say but sure looks a lot like what is commonly called dog fennel around middle TN. Also called cedar weed by some locals. Spreads rapidly and cows sure won't eat it. Stinks to high heaven when you pull it.

Picture's too small to tell what it is. The top looks like it could be mares tail and the roots look like could be dog fennel. I don't think it's either of them because that 2,4-D+Dicamba will kill mares tail and/or dog fennel with a quickness. I've used a lot of it myself. It's a good inexpensive herbicide.

Well I know it is not Mares Tail or Dog Fennel and after doing some more searching I think I have found what it is called, Narrow Leaf Gayfeather.
http://www.catnapin.com/WildWeeds/Flowers-B/PurpleBlueCone.htm
It seems to prefer the tight clay soil and it does bloom with the clorful purple flower in the fall. Does that help anyone know how to kill it?

And as for posting a picture, I know Macon says it is as easy as 1-2-3-4-5 but for some of us, well lets just say I was glad to get a picture of any size posted.

J+ Cattle":3diihk21 said:
Well I know it is not Mares Tail or Dog Fennel and after doing some more searching I think I have found what it is called, Narrow Leaf Gayfeather.
http://www.catnapin.com/WildWeeds/Flowers-B/PurpleBlueCone.htm
It seems to prefer the tight clay soil and it does bloom with the clorful purple flower in the fall. Does that help anyone know how to kill it?

And as for posting a picture, I know Macon says it is as easy as 1-2-3-4-5 but for some of us, well lets just say I was glad to get a picture of any size posted.

That is true, posting a picture is not as easy as 1,2 3,4,5. It's an extreme exercise in tenacity.

No Gayfeathers down here. Can't help with that one.

Latest posts