Need help fixin Hashbrowns

Help Support CattleToday:

CattleHand

Reaction score
My grandma use to make these alot in the morning when we had mash potatoes the night before. Ive tried several times with no luck. She always cooked them in a skillet and Ive tried that with vegetable oil (ended up being really oily) and some butter (they never had that 'hash' to them). Only thing Ive succeeded in is making them brown... sometimes black :lol2:

anyone have any pointers?

CattleHand":3ov09mqy said:
My grandma use to make these alot in the morning when we had mash potatoes the night before. Ive tried several times with no luck. She always cooked them in a skillet and Ive tried that with vegetable oil (ended up being really oily) and some butter (they never had that 'hash' to them). Only thing Ive succeeded in is making them brown... sometimes black :lol2:

anyone have any pointers?

Are you sure you are talking about hashbrowns? They are usually shredded or cubed potatoes. We make potato patties with left over mashed potatoes, mix in a beaten egg with the potatoes, form hamburger size patties flour both sides and fry in butter.

At home Mom always made extra mashed potatoes, She would use the leftovers in the next Supper, we called them potato pancakes. She added egg, onion and ? we all loved the stuff. Should get the recipe. Been a long time and have forgotten the potato pancakes.

Hash browns we get in the frozen foods section made up in patties of grated potatoes. Fry it in canola oil till brown. Made from raw potatoes they always fall apart. If I'm going to fry raw potatoes I slice the spuds about 1/16 inch thick same with onion. Fry it in a skillet, brown and cover for a few minutes. Yummmm!

Red Bull Breeder":zsjk84w8 said:
We call them little cakes made from left over mashed taters Tater cakes.

basically what they are. Maybe hashbrowns is the wrong word. Do you just make a cake and throw them on the skillet with butter or what? and Mnm those sound pretty good.

CattleHand":2ac4la35 said:
Red Bull Breeder":2ac4la35 said:

basically what they are. Maybe hashbrowns is the wrong word. Do you just make a cake and throw them on the skillet with butter or what? and Mnm those sound pretty good.
We make potato patties with left over mashed potatoes, mix in a beaten egg with the potatoes, form hamburger size patties flour both sides and fry in butter.

CKC1586":1fp09rpj said:
CattleHand":1fp09rpj said:
Red Bull Breeder":1fp09rpj said:

We make potato patties with left over mashed potatoes, mix in a beaten egg with the potatoes, form hamburger size patties flour both sides and fry in butter.

this is what I will do. Thank you. I will let ya know how i get along.

My mom used to make those.

Next time you get adventurous in the potato area, try Ladkes. Good stuff. Easy to make.

Lammie":2b37ufqk said:
My mom used to make those.

Next time you get adventurous in the potato area, try Ladkes. Good stuff. Easy to make.

OK :nod: Might need the recipe, don't believe I've heard of Ladkes.

There are an abundance of recipes for this dish, which is mostly associated with Haunakkah. (or however you spell it) It is shredded taters with eggs, flour and onions. Very good, smell great cooking and goes with everything. I made some for a teacher luncheon and they were extremely popular. I must have made about six dozen of them. Gone. All gone.

It was much easier to do than the six dozen deviled eggs I made last summer.

Lammie":bpp2ii35 said:
There are an abundance of recipes for this dish, which is mostly associated with Haunakkah. (or however you spell it) It is shredded taters with eggs, flour and onions. Very good, smell great cooking and goes with everything. I made some for a teacher luncheon and they were extremely popular. I must have made about six dozen of them. Gone. All gone.

It was much easier to do than the six dozen deviled eggs I made last summer.

Probably didn't foul up the air in the room nearly as bad either. :banana:

The eggs don't smell that bad when you make them, but what happens after they are digested is not my problem. I sent those people home to be with their spouses.

If you don't like onions, ladkes are not the thing for you. Lots of onions in a ladke.

Lammie":4boi9rpk said:
The eggs don't smell that bad when you make them, but what happens after they are digested is not my problem. I sent those people home to be with their spouses.

If you don't like onions, ladkes are not the thing for you. Lots of onions in a ladke.

Im a big fan of onions. I will try these also.

Latest posts