Need HELP finding show heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

SallyDee

Reaction score
Hi, I am a mom of two boys that caught in San Antonio and one also caught in Austin. They have a total of $2600 to purchase 2 registered heifers. We can NOT find any!!!!!! We have to have something that can live in the heat down here in South Texas also! Please help us!! Everyone keeps telling us that you have to have atleast that much for one, well I thought that the whole ideal of the calf scramble was to teach the children about raising a good show animal and the responsiblity that went with it, how can you do that if you are putting yourself in debt to start with??? My boys are very responsible, Aaron is 16, Patrick is 14, they both got Rural Youth Loans in Dec. 2005 and have purchased cows that have calved, it is a 5 year government loan and the offspring is how they make payments, they have hit a few bad patches but they are standing tall. We live in South Texas, without any rain and are out the expense of feeding these cattle right now, so are unable to spend an arm and leg for a show heifer that won't pay for itself. The boys raise steers each year for our county show and each go out and find buyers for their animals before the sale to ensure to break even. I know I am their mother, but I want anyone that reads this to understand if they could help us, they would be proud of the job my guys would do with the heifers! Patrick won showmanship with his breed champion steer in Jan of the year. They work really hard at school (grades and sports) but also on their animals!
If anyone out there could help us find 2 registered heifers ASAP we would greatly appreciate it!!
Please contact us!! thank ya for reading!!!
Sally Hearne
[email protected]

Look into animals with part Brahaman blood in them-i.e. Brama, Brangus, Braford, Simbrah. Talk to some producers-I got an exceptional show heifer this year (black angus) woth her dam, and the dam was bred back, for 1200.00-talk to the breeders, look at their stock, and if you like it, buy it. You could easily get two fro that much if you looked around. Lots of people buy 2600 dollar animals-and i kicked their tails all the way to the curb with my 400-100 dollar ones. lol. just look around. you'll find something.

I know virtually nothing of the show scene, but the first name that came to my mind for your situation was Carlos Guerra of La Muneca ranch down in Linn, Texas. His Simbrah may be too high dollar for your budget --- I don't know --- but as far as I can tell he is well known for working with 4-H and FFA kids. Might be worth a look see.

How about some good Longhorn heifers? I could help you out with some or there's plenty of folks down there that have them. They are a true Texas breed ;-)

Rustler9":15smygyt said:
How about some good Longhorn heifers? I could help you out with some or there's plenty of folks down there that have them. They are a true Texas breed ;-)

thanks for the offer, but for the Junior shows they DO NOT allow longhorns, eons ago, I showed a registered longhorn heifer, but they no longer allow it for calf scramblers. Shorthorns are ok though. thanks again!!
Sally

I know of some pretty good brafords (limited showing), red angus, hereford, beefmaster, and brangus.

how about Santa Gertrudis?
I will do some checking in my Santa Gertudis journals and see what I can come up with later today

If you haven't found any yet, check with Wendt Ranches for some Santa Gertrudis heifers. Mr. Wendt is very good about working with kids and their scramble certificates. You should be able to find a number online.

TheBullLady":1n1wfrlm said:
Sally, did your kids find calves?

Hi, yes and THANK YOU Bull Lady, the boys got two heifers from Mike Mallet in Lampassas. They are Simmental, one black and one red. Black one is a Nov calf and the red is Jan and still on momma, but Mike is gonna pull and have them ready for us at the end of the month. Thanks again for hooking me up with him. He let Aaron go around and pick what he wanted, so he had a few choices and not just two heifers. Aaron also picked Patrick's heifer because he was at Bobwhite Brigade when we made the trip north. Thanks again Eileen, you are an ASSET!!!!!!!
Sally

I would like to THANK everyone for their help and replies. My boys did get heifers and it is all due to THIS forum!!! THANKS again to everyone for their responses!!!!!!!!!

Sally Hearne :lol:

SallyDee":3j0jnsd3 said:
I would like to THANK everyone for their help and replies. My boys did get heifers and it is all due to THIS forum!!! THANKS again to everyone for their responses!!!!!!!!!

What breed did they end up with?

jaydill":2vc21g7c said:
SallyDee":2vc21g7c said:

Simmental.... see post just above the one you quoted ;-)

SallyDee,

Glad to see you got them boys some heifers, and good luck to them, too. Keep us updated on them!

Ryan

SallyDee":2fi8xoca said:
They are Simmental
Sally

If you are in South Texas, hope you got your fans and misters ready to keep the hair on them. Not trying to discourage, but, they will go against Knezek(sp?) Simmental heifer's at San Antonio, and those heifer's will have hair and plenty of it.

Good luck.

Ryan":xcfsfu0l said:
jaydill":xcfsfu0l said:
SallyDee":xcfsfu0l said:

Simmental.... see post just above the one you quoted ;-)
Oops. :oops: lol, thanks Ryan.

Latest posts