Need help fattening a few bulls in Pakistan!

Help Support CattleToday:

If you're going to feed them corn, be sure to start slow so as not to founder them. I usually start at 1 lb per 100lb of body wt, slowly increasing to 2lbs/100th body weight so as to allow rumen to adjust to corn..you could have them up to free choice corn in about 2-2.5 months.. if you push them to hard, they can go off feed.

M-5":ne97t64f said:
DANMAN, Over the years here some characters have developed a second persona just to have a little fun. I would say you are the first to my knowledge from that part of the world that has actually been active in the forum.

I would suggest looking at some the post on feed topics that Texasbred has made over the years

Haha I see. And I will! Thanks.

Workinonit Farm":ne97t64f said:
DanMan":ne97t64f said:
Would adding forage to the mix impede corn digestion?

I don't see why it would. I've not had any problems with gaining, with my animals eating corn and forage.

I read somewhere that the rumen microbes and pH have to be different for corn (grain) digestion as compared to forage. That is why there is a transition period between forage and grain diets. I also read that if you feed both, then the pH and microbes are sort of in-between. They are not very good at digesting forages and not very good at digesting grain.

One source: https://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/ansci/beef/as1238.pdf

"Corn can be used in many different types of backgrounding and finishing diets, and it can serve as a supplement in forage-based diets for beef cows. However, corn is relatively low in protein and high in starch, which can affect forage utilization negatively, especially in diets based on lower-quality forages. Consequently, corn grain should be used in forage-based diets at relatively low levels (less than 0.4 percent of body weight), in forage-based diets that have adequate crude protein (greater than 9 percent crude protein) or in combination with protein supplements."

bball":ne97t64f said:
If you're going to feed them corn, be sure to start slow so as not to founder them. I usually start at 1 lb per 100lb of body wt, slowly increasing to 2lbs/100th body weight so as to allow rumen to adjust to corn..you could have them up to free choice corn in about 2-2.5 months.. if you push them to hard, they can go off feed.

Yea I will start slow. Now im confused whether I can feed fodder with grain successfully.

Yea I will start slow. Now im confused whether I can feed fodder with grain successfully.

What sort of pasture are the other fellows utilizing? How much rain do you get there? What are your water source? I think your way to gain is finding some better forage. Any horse racing there?

Maybe start by tying them in one of those shady spots rather than standing on brick in the direct sun all day - sweating away pounds.

Kingfisher":3fvc3oyh said:

What sort of pasture are the other fellows utilizing? How much rain do you get there? What are your water source? I think your way to gain is finding some better forage. Any horse racing there?

Actually most people don't really do pasture grazing for their animals, as agricultural land is expensive (anywhere from 10-50k US$ per acre, maybe more in some places) at least in the Punjab province, and animals aren't that expensive. Most of the people who do grazing are landless people who only have animals and send those into other peoples fields, till they get kicked out and have to go to the next field :p.

Rain is seasonal. We get a lot during the monsoon season (late June - late August). http://en.climate-data.org/location/3511/
I'm not sure how reliable that data is though.

Water source is canal (via river), but mainly electric and diesel tube-wells (underground water). Also why do you say forage over gain?

We do have horse racing here. In fact a good family friend of ours breeds racing horses. They got a million dollar horse for cheap (due to broken leg) from the Arabs some years ago.

Supa Dexta":3fvc3oyh said:
Maybe start by tying them in one of those shady spots rather than standing on brick in the direct sun all day - sweating away pounds.

Yea their shed is being constructed. However right now the temperatures are pretty cool. It's winters.

Can you irrigate and grow some good grass for the future?
I'm saying to grow them out you need better hay along w the corn
What are you friends feeding their race horses?

The native strains of Zebu cattle often suffer laminitis and acidosis on high starch diets, we used to mill the maize as whole cob with sheath to supply sufficient roughage, cotton seed meal provides a local protein source, with a list of available feeds, a reasonably balanced ration can be calculated. As already advised, start the ration slowly and build up, with ad lib hay available. This link might prove useful for getting a better idea of their weight by measurement; http://www.piedmontese.org/GettingYourC ... aScale.htm
When my dad was building the power stations in Pakistan (many many years ago) we used water buffalo for fresh milk, the cattle were poorer yielders.

Kingfisher":2dngjpuh said:
Can you irrigate and grow some good grass for the future?
I'm saying to grow them out you need better hay along w the corn
What are you friends feeding their race horses?

Yup I can. I guess I'll grow Alfalfa. Also what corn:hay ratio do you suggest.
I'll ask about the feed they give to the horses. I do know that they grow Rhode grass and Alfalfa.

Andybob2":2dngjpuh said:
The native strains of Zebu cattle often suffer laminitis and acidosis on high starch diets, we used to mill the maize as whole cob with sheath to supply sufficient roughage, cotton seed meal provides a local protein source, with a list of available feeds, a reasonably balanced ration can be calculated. As already advised, start the ration slowly and build up, with ad lib hay available. This link might prove useful for getting a better idea of their weight by measurement; http://www.piedmontese.org/GettingYourC ... aScale.htm
When my dad was building the power stations in Pakistan (many many years ago) we used water buffalo for fresh milk, the cattle were poorer yielders.

Thanks for the good info. I was already familiar with the weighing without a scale but thanks for letting me know it is accurate enough to be mentioned. Does it work well with Zebu cattles too, since they have a hump.

Also does corn also need to be ad lib? Or just feed it at different times over the day. And if hay is available ad lib, will they only eat that or do they still have space for corn.

And very nice! Where did you stay in Pakistan? Which power plants did you work at? And how did you like the taste of buffalo milk?