Need help fast for calf

Help Support CattleToday:

chadreed88

Reaction score
I was given a calf yesterday by a guy who worked some cows and one of the cows had a calf but her tits were to big for the calf to suck. He gave the calf to me because I've been bottling two others due to cow problems. I gave it 2 bottles of the colostrum powder packets one yesterday and one this morning along with part of a bottle of milk replacer. I had a cow up that's fixing to calf and tried to milk her but only got a pint from her and then just gave it to the calf. Is there anything you recommend me do to increase the chances of survival? Would it be better if I could get some milk from dairy to give it for awhile or is it any better that milk replacer? I don't know if she got any colostrum from its mom but I would guess not because she was pretty drawed up. She just seems to be week and drawn up but doesn't look or act sick. Would like any recommendations on what to try and get this calf going. It eats real well from the bottle just to take into consideration. Thanks and pm me or email me with any advice.

chadreed88":110prmex said:
I was given a calf yesterday by a guy who worked some cows and one of the cows had a calf but her tits were to big for the calf to suck. He gave the calf to me because I've been bottling two others due to cow problems. I gave it 2 bottles of the colostrum powder packets one yesterday and one this morning along with part of a bottle of milk replacer. I had a cow up that's fixing to calf and tried to milk her but only got a pint from her and then just gave it to the calf. Is there anything you recommend me do to increase the chances of survival? Would it be better if I could get some milk from dairy to give it for awhile or is it any better that milk replacer? I don't know if she got any colostrum from its mom but I would guess not because she was pretty drawed up. She just seems to be week and drawn up but doesn't look or act sick. Would like any recommendations on what to try and get this calf going. It eats real well from the bottle just to take into consideration. Thanks and pm me or email me with any advice.
one thing i recommend....dont rob from the unborn are it will be the one too worry about... sounds like all he needs is the milk replacer now

I will repeat the last comments, you just robbed the next calf of vital colostrum. Milk replacer will be fine.
Good Luck

chadreed88":63mss0t6 said:
I had a cow up that's fixing to calf and tried to milk her but only got a pint from her and then just gave it to the calf.

Not only have you taken colostrum away from the unborn calf, you have also removed the seal from her teats and opened this cow up to possible infection.

I disagree with the others on here. Some people do nothing and catch heII, some intervene the best way they know how, and catch heII. Your cow will be ok and so will the unborn calf.

angie":1tb8xn6t said:
I disagree with the others on here. Some people do nothing and catch heII, some intervene the best way they know how, and catch heII. Your cow will be ok and so will the unborn calf.

Perhaps I'm missing something but, where exactly, am I giving this poster "hell"? What I(as well as the other posters) stated is true, and you know it. Whether it is a facter in his particular situation remains to be seen. In all probability his cow and unborn calf will be fine, but the fact remains that the cow could develop an infection due to her tits now being open and the calf could be compromised if the cow turns out to be a first time heifer and isn't a good milker. It seems to me like you are assuming way too many things in this particular scenario. Just my thoughts.

Got to agree with Msscamp. It was a blessing that this poster only got 2 cups, not without lack of trying. Colostrum is a precious, like the mastercard commercial...priceless. Instead of one poor calf trying to make a go of it, the possiblity is now two.
Always keep powder on hand. And be prepared...epsecially if you are going to raise orphan bottle babies.

I HAD A 1 MONTH PREEMIE AND I BOTTLE FED EVERY 4 HRS WITH MILK REPLACER ALSO MIXED SOME POWERED COLOSTRUM FOR THE FIRST FEW FEEDINGS. AFTER THAT I GAVE IT ELECTORLYTES IN THE MILK. HE SEEMS TO BE DOING FINE NOW. HE IS DEFINATELY "KING" OF THE BARN. :)

msscamp":1yr9y39x said:
Perhaps I'm missing something but, where exactly, am I giving this poster "be nice"? What I(as well as the other posters) stated is true, and you know it. Whether it is a facter in his particular situation remains to be seen. In all probability his cow and unborn calf will be fine, but the fact remains that the cow could develop an infection due to her tits now being open and the calf could be compromised if the cow turns out to be a first time heifer and isn't a good milker. It seems to me like you are assuming way too many things in this particular scenario. Just my thoughts.
OK ~ I was out of line here. I came across as snotty, and I apologize. It was not my intention to offend or disregard what you (as well as the other posters) say. And I respect the point you are making.

I do however believe that the risk to the cow (as far as developing infection) is minimal. However, the risk is much greater to a calf without colostrum.

As to the second issue of cheating the unborn calf, when my goats kidded I milked out and froze a serving of colostrum for future need, and never felt that the kids on the ground already were compromised. I think there is enough of that to share a serving with one in need of it.

The original poster had 2 pkts of colostrum ~ I would have given that to the calf and called it good. In the absence of colostrum pkts, I would have taken it from a cow near to calving.

angie":1sw4dc0c said:
msscamp":1sw4dc0c said:
Perhaps I'm missing something but, where exactly, am I giving this poster "be nice"? What I(as well as the other posters) stated is true, and you know it. Whether it is a facter in his particular situation remains to be seen. In all probability his cow and unborn calf will be fine, but the fact remains that the cow could develop an infection due to her tits now being open and the calf could be compromised if the cow turns out to be a first time heifer and isn't a good milker. It seems to me like you are assuming way too many things in this particular scenario. Just my thoughts.
OK ~ I was out of line here. I came across as snotty, and I apologize. It was not my intention to offend or disregard what you (as well as the other posters) say. And I respect the point you are making.

I do however believe that the risk to the cow (as far as developing infection) is minimal. However, the risk is much greater to a calf without colostrum.

As to the second issue of cheating the unborn calf, when my goats kidded I milked out and froze a serving of colostrum for future need, and never felt that the kids on the ground already were compromised. I think there is enough of that to share a serving with one in need of it.

The original poster had 2 pkts of colostrum ~ I would have given that to the calf and called it good. In the absence of colostrum pkts, I would have taken it from a cow near to calving.

I like you reasoning Angie. You weren't bad off target in you initial post IMO. Anything CAN happen but in this business the risk that was taken was minimal.

Thanks for all the reply's just wanted to get some opinions on this because I haven't really ever bottled many calfs espicially one's that I didn't know what it got if anything from the cow. Again thanks for advice

Latest posts