Need help deciding on these photos

Help Support CattleToday:

BRG

Reaction score
These photos are all of the same bull. His name is LMG Gills Vin Diesel 7611. He was born in May 2007. He has been with 45 cow for 21 days in June and then 40 cows for 45 days the end of this week with our summer calving cows. This is the first year he has been with any cows and I am sure he has put on a couple hundred pounds over the summer. Both Dad and I think he is probably the best bull we have ever raised (at this stage).

I can't decide which is the best photo. I need to get a better one, but for now I need 1 or 2. Which do you like the best.

I don't think any of them would be a good advertisement, but if you have to use one i'd use no 1, then you can atleast blame the camera angle.

KNERSIE":1ge1ru9h said:
I don't think any of them would be a good advertisement, but if you have to use one i'd use no 1, then you can atleast blame the camera angle.

I agree

I think it's just me, but I am partial to #4...based purely on an aesthetics point of view.

But as far as conformation is concerned, it's a toss up between #1 and #3.

I'd go with #2, mainly because the color in the photo looks darker and richer, and it makes your bull look thicker and more vibrant. Some of the other photos look washed out, and his topline looks a little weak in a couple of them.

Thanks everyone!

I think the problem is he is standing down hill, but we were in a section pasture and didn't have much luck with him stopping, all he wanted to do was walk and call his cows. With him going down hill, he stands a bit under himself and creates a sway back look. Hopefully when we pull him and he gets in a smaller pasture I will be able to get a better one. But I do think these photos show the type of thickness he has and this is what I was mainly wanting.

Thanks again,
BRG

KNERSIE":1pz75rif said:
same here, thinking the same thing

Wait and take some new pictures.

Put him in a smaller pasture, feed him a little and follow him around for a few hours.

Take about 100 pictures, instead of 5 or 6. Get some 3/4 views they always make cattle especially bulls look better.

Take a pic of him on the trot after a cow-i like to see a bull on the move-it will show musclle shape too. Dave Nichols has a video of one of his bulls chasing cows is awesome-I get so sick of the carefully composed sale catalogue pics. He's a long son of a gun for sure.

#2 it makes the bull look to have a little more round, length, and masculinity in his head and neck.

i would take a buch more pictures of him going UPHILL for sure. I tend to like an angle that shows a bit of the hind quarter. he definatley needs to be headed up hill with his spine straight, not turned toward you.
Thats just My Opinion.

Eliminate the sky, place his front feet higher than his rear feet. Drop the camera lens down to the level of his front shoulder point. If you are using these pictures for publicity - take more pictures, and make sure that he has had a good drink of water beforehand. He lacks fullness in his forerib area just behind his 'withers' area. Watch the "highlighting" on his poll. If these posted pictures are what you are going to use, I would select #2 first, and then #3 second. The "fore-shortening" effect on #1 does not do him justice.

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts