Need help deciding on a breed...

Help Support CattleToday:

I think the perfect breed for this situation is the wonderful UltraBlack Optimizer Imbalance Plus. The breed that does it ALL.

well I am an angus breeder and have been for 35 years so excuse me while I say angus is the breed to use. Contrary to what many will say, my angus cattle are known for their quiet dispositons. Bulls and cows.

I lived in northeast ohio for three years and left cause of a particular day where the actual temperature was 26 below with a 40 mile an hour wind and I did not think I was going to survive that day. too darned cold for a redneck southern boy. Livestock survived it but they suffered as well and the ones that could access shelter were sure in it as far as they could go.

so I will differ with those that say no shelter is necessary. what animals can survive, and what is the right thing for us as stewards to do...... are not necessarily the same thing.

a dense natural shelter such as a couple of acres of good size white pines is better than a building but most of us don't have that and so I think a shelter and windbreak is good. anybody too triffling to clean it out a couple times a year does not have time to have livestock.

good luck on your new endeavor.

pdfangus":6ze7u9i5 said:
well I am an angus breeder and have been for 35 years so excuse me while I say angus is the breed to use. Contrary to what many will say, my angus cattle are known for their quiet dispositons. Bulls and cows.

I lived in northeast ohio for three years and left cause of a particular day where the actual temperature was 26 below with a 40 mile an hour wind and I did not think I was going to survive that day. too darned cold for a redneck southern boy. Livestock survived it but they suffered as well and the ones that could access shelter were sure in it as far as they could go.

so I will differ with those that say no shelter is necessary. what animals can survive, and what is the right thing for us as stewards to do...... are not necessarily the same thing.

a dense natural shelter such as a couple of acres of good size white pines is better than a building but most of us don't have that and so I think a shelter and windbreak is good. anybody too triffling to clean it out a couple times a year does not have time to have livestock.

good luck on your new endeavor.

I feel your pain... My southern redneck behind doesn't belong up here either. I was dragged north of the Mason-Dixon by my wife. I was kickin' and screamin' the whole time and haven't stopped yet! LOL

Thank you for ya'lls inputs.

I live in central Ohio and I will say that once I started making my cattle stay out of the barn in summer and winter the fly and manure problem went away significantly. With a all grass pasture one acre in Ohio should support a cow and calf. Timely mowing and rest are key. As soon as I move my cows, I mow what they have not eaten. I try to keep the grass in a growing stage. Once it gets to old, the cows won't eat it and start to eat where they already have. I have had great luck in selling feezer beef. Actually more customers than beef! If you sell two you should eat yours for free IMO. If you need a bull or heifers I know alot of people and could point you in a direction. I raise red and black angus as well as shorthorn and the lines I am using now really convert the grass well. As far as what breed you should raise , well I would say find a breed that you like to look at first and formost and then ask around and try and find genetics of that breed that may work for you. It's a hit and miss thing for awhile but you will figure it out. I run on 160 acres so my situation is different than yours but I remeber well when i started! Man do I wish I was aware of websites like this! Could have saved me alot of time and money lol. Good luck to you. PM me if you want to talk on the phone or anything. Take care. And Ohio is great for growing grass most years. It is amazing what can be grown here with a little help.

I'd suggest Scottish Highland cattle. Save the money you'll spend on a barn with stalls and a loafing shed right now, and put it into good perimeter fencing, and then cross fencing for rotational grazing, and a good way to handle water both in summer for rotational grazing, and WINTER with an automatic freeze proof waterer to keep things from freezing. Highlands not only graze but browse too, ours eat the small branches on the trees and we have a perfect browse line 6 feet high around the whole property, perfect for your wooded areas. Best of all they really don't require shelter (they'll use the woods) and look stunning in the fresh fallen lake effect snow you'll get (as a Michigander I know this). Highlands are very docile and are excellent for grass finishing. The only knock is that they grow out a little slowly and you won't be able to take them to the sale barn to sell them without getting hammered on price. We have a couple Angus, a Hereford, Dexters, and the Highlands are the least troublesome of any of them, including being respectful of fences.

DMax, you could go to Medina co fair this august and see 4-h and open barn to get ideas. There is also a jr shorthorn show in Wooster June 4 & 5th. Of course state fair, the only problem with that is breed cows pretty much go different weeks so have to look at schedule to see what breed is there that you would want to see.Jr steer show is one day.

Look around you, and at the local salebarn and see what your locals are raising and selling.. Go to the feed stores and talk to others that raise cattle....

Get your fences up and you grass growing, befoe you buy cattle....Grass is what you are raising, cattle are only the Fruit....

I like angus, they are common, easy to keep, and a huge gene pool......when crossed with a Hereford they make some of the easiest cattle to handle there is ...They come both red and Black... Enjoy

Latest posts