Need electric fence help

Help Support CattleToday:

I agree with adding another wire. Tie it to the ground. The thick hair may be insulating them as well. I have had calves go under a single wire. a second wire usually cures that. Might try tying some short ribbons to the hot wire. Sniffing at them may cause the nose to get burnt.Problem solved.

Ok. Thanks for all the info. First things first. Neighbor checked the farthest point from the energizer with his "fancy tester". Putting out 10,300 volts. It showed 2.1 joules at the end of the fence as well. It has been raining daily for the past 4 days. Since the rain, the calves have stopped getting out. I'm wondering if it's from the wet hair carrying a shock. I don't remember if I said it, but I added another ground rod, 10' galvanized steel pipe. Has 28" still above the ground. That didn't make a bit of a difference. I've also checked around at the 3 different farm stores I have access to. Nobody carries anything larger than a 3 joule charger, so I'd have to order that. If the calves begin getting out again after the rain stops, my next step will be adding another wire. My current wire averages 37" above ground, so I'm probably going to slide it down to 25" and put a new top wire back at 37". To be honest, I've given serious thought to catching the trouble makers and giving them a nice little haircut starting right behind the head and running all the way to the tail, just about 3" wide, right on the backbone. Also, instead of tying ribbons to the fence, I used to tie empty soda cans to electric fence when I had different hog pastures. They definitely get their attention and the aluminum cans carry electricity just fine. Biggest thing is to remember to cut the bottom of the cans so they don't fill up with rainwater and pull the fence down. Thanks everybody. Y'all are a great group of folks.

37" is way too high for calves. My guess is they are getting shocked but they are on through before it matters. I would put it at the 25" like you said. I wouldn't even bother with the top wire yet. Getting bit on the nose should change their tune.

No. That was before the new ground. I have not had him re-check since the ground rod update. These are all at least 400lb calves, still on mommas, so I'll need the higher wire also. I was very impressed about the joules actually being higher than the advertised joules. That kind of fortune never happens!

I'd need the higher wire for the momma cows. They're all very large Charolais cows and I'm afraid they'd try to hop a 25" height.
Chaded, I've got to know. Is that a current photo or an older one? Just wondering because it was 71° here today!

I'd need the higher wire for the momma cows. They're all very large Charolais cows and I'm afraid they'd try to hop a 25" height.
Chaded, I've got to know. Is that a current photo or an older one? Just wondering because it was 71° here today!

That's last winter. Lol. It was in the 60's today Here. You know your cows and how well they are trained to hot wire.

I give a little grace for small calves that go under the wire because they usually aren't a problem and it isn't long before they are too big to do that. But if I caught a cow going over, under, or through they would be trailered and sent somewhere else.

I use a lot of polybraid too when doing paddock divisions and they have to respect a single line or they can't work here.

Ok. Thanks for all the info. First things first. Neighbor checked the farthest point from the energizer with his "fancy tester". Putting out 10,300 volts. It showed 2.1 joules at the end of the fence as well. It has been raining daily for the past 4 days. Since the rain, the calves have stopped getting out. I'm wondering if it's from the wet hair carrying a shock. I don't remember if I said it, but I added another ground rod, 10' galvanized steel pipe. Has 28" still above the ground. That didn't make a bit of a difference. I've also checked around at the 3 different farm stores I have access to. Nobody carries anything larger than a 3 joule charger, so I'd have to order that. If the calves begin getting out again after the rain stops, my next step will be adding another wire. My current wire averages 37" above ground, so I'm probably going to slide it down to 25" and put a new top wire back at 37". To be honest, I've given serious thought to catching the trouble makers and giving them a nice little haircut starting right behind the head and running all the way to the tail, just about 3" wide, right on the backbone. Also, instead of tying ribbons to the fence, I used to tie empty soda cans to electric fence when I had different hog pastures. They definitely get their attention and the aluminum cans carry electricity just fine. Biggest thing is to remember to cut the bottom of the cans so they don't fill up with rainwater and pull the fence down. Thanks everybody. Y'all are a great group of folks.
" I've given serious thought to catching the trouble makers and giving them a nice little haircut starting right behind the head and running all the way to the tail, just about 3" wide, right on the backbone. "gonna need pictures.........

Don't feel bad about being confused. I stay that way. My energizer states 1.9 joules. My neighbor's fancy tester showed 2.1.
The basic 5 light tester like I use does not show joules, just volts. I think you need one of the fancy testers to check joules.

Don't feel bad about being confused. I stay that way. My energizer states 1.9 joules. My neighbor's fancy tester showed 2.1.
The basic 5 light tester like I use does not show joules, just volts. I think you need one of the fancy testers to check joules.
Are you sure that is not volts or amps? Like Kenny, I am not aware of a tester that shows joules. They normally show amps and volts.

Last edited:
I've never heard of one that shows joules. My Gallagher show volts and amps (As in how many amps its drawing which higher is not better here). As much as my tester cost I don't want to know what a 'fancy' one cost. Lol.

His is a "field guardian" brand. It supposedly checks voltage, joules, and is a fault finder. He said he thinks he paid about $120 for it a couple years ago.

So, after it quit raining, calves were back to getting out. I ran a second wire as suggested. So far, problem solved. I wound up making most of it hot, except for about 200', which is past a gate. I just wrapped that around each post (no insulators). I have no idea whether the double hot side or the hot + ground section broke the calves, but one of them sure did! I really appreciate all you guys so much.

Cow tend to touch unknown objects with their nose first, so this tells me that the wire wasn't zapping too much if they dared put their necks through.

Latest posts