need Corriente body condition information

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Hi, I need information from Corriente breeders regarding the acceptable body condition of this breed. A new rancher has moved into our area and he raises Corriente cattle (1000+ head). This is "beef" cattle country and folks are starting to give him a bad time about his cattle. they are saying he is starving his cattle but I beleave the cattle look the way they do because of the BREED not because of the feed. Folks around here are used to seeing fat, thick body style, beef- cattle, not the lean, narrow body style of the Corriente cattle. I want to help this rancher with the onslaught of "do-gooders" who are starting to complain.
What is the common looks of this breed when out in the fields? What is the commen practice (of feeding) of young stock prior to spring sell for roping calves/steers? Is there anyplace on the web I can go for this information?
thank you.

me.

They are considered a light boned breed.. They do not normally go over 1200lbs...average around 1000lbs. Rodeo are very fond of Corrientes for their light bones, small size, and the right length of horns. I think the reason are complaining is why the rancher needs 1000 head of these light bone cattle? The man can make more money raising Angus, or Black Simmies or even straight Herefords. They are afraid the rancher will sell them at the auction and the "stupid" buyers use them for their breeding stock. One thing I like the Correntes is their wide ranges of colors... Love it when each new calf is splashed with variety of colors. I have considered Angus breeders "dull" for their creativity. All they care is the $$ and have little interests in public health. Why is there a craze for high beef fat is beyond me.. Oh well.

That's a ridiculous statement. Yes Angus breeders as well as many other breeders are concerned with $$$. Without the dollars, beef would not be on the dinner table. How can one breed producer not be concerned with Public Health? Producers of other breeds are moreso concerned? I'm not an Angus breeder, but I have to stick up for them against that statement. All of us are in this thing together.

Let me clear up a bit.... Angus are great cattle commerically to raise in open range, ways to make a profit, etc. But to raise Angus for beef, forget it...you'll die younger choking on all those insane fat they called "good marbling". The reason Angus is famous is its politics. Al Gore, for example, his family raises Angus....as long as they raise Angus,, he will put money into Angus Assoc. pockets....it called bribes. I bet he will tell ya he invented the Angus breed haha!

I heard that he regretted inventing the electoral college.

dun

Oregonian":1x1eknth said:
Let me clear up a bit.... Angus are great cattle commerically to raise in open range, ways to make a profit, etc. But to raise Angus for beef, forget it...you'll die younger choking on all those insane fat they called "good marbling". The reason Angus is famous is its politics. Al Gore, for example, his family raises Angus....as long as they raise Angus,, he will put money into Angus Assoc. pockets....it called bribes. I bet he will tell ya he invented the Angus breed haha!

"Good marbling" usually equates to good taste and tenderness. Many other breeds offer "good marbling" also. What do you raise? There might be a lot of politics involved in the Angus hype, but good marbling is a seperate issue. Consumers dictated that and pay for it. Why shouldn't Angus breeders capitalize on consumer demand? Blame the consumers for their own personal preference? Let's get mad at Ford for building pickup trucks while we're at it.

Oregonian":swjht2ac said:
They are considered a light boned breed.. They do not normally go over 1200lbs...average around 1000lbs. Rodeo are very fond of Corrientes for their light bones, small size, and the right length of horns. I think the reason are complaining is why the rancher needs 1000 head of these light bone cattle? The man can make more money raising Angus, or Black Simmies or even straight Herefords. They are afraid the rancher will sell them at the auction and the "stupid" buyers use them for their breeding stock. One thing I like the Correntes is their wide ranges of colors... Love it when each new calf is splashed with variety of colors. I have considered Angus breeders "dull" for their creativity. All they care is the $$ and have little interests in public health. Why is there a craze for high beef fat is beyond me.. Oh well.

corrientes are smaller than that cows go 6-800 bulls 9-1000, they tend to be dull earth tone colored, rodeos want longhorn corrientes crosses for more horn base and wilder colors, obviously if the guy is that established to have 1000 hd he must have a market and maybe just maybe he hasn't bought into the black is beautiful movement. we all no matter what color we raise are looking for $$$$ the market has a taste for cab so therefore it is produced for that market. if the market changes then so will the product eventually.

D.R. Cattle":1fpv3wuc said:
"Good marbling" usually equates to good taste and tenderness. Many other breeds offer "good marbling" also. What do you raise? There might be a lot of politics involved in the Angus hype, but good marbling is a seperate issue. Consumers dictated that and pay for it. Why shouldn't Angus breeders capitalize on consumer demand? Blame the consumers for their own personal preference? Let's get mad at Ford for building pickup trucks while we're at it.

Isn't important what I raise... The simple fact is there are way to get juicy tender steak without so much fat! I think people are starting to realize it is time a change in their diets. Recently McDonalds' is buying lean beef from Australia because the demand for lean beef is on the rise. They claim there is not enough lean beef in US to buy Which got me a bit confuse..why didn't McD's ask the feedlots and others to start raising lean beef? Why are we continue to raise marble beef if there is a huge demand for lean beef....nothing makes sense...anything politics doesn't make sense. I have trouble enough understanding our presidential candidates (more than happy to get rid of Bush aka King George). Anyhoo...who cares...
Other celebrities came to my mind. JR Simplot, the potato baron, got ranches (continues to expand) in ID, OR, and WA. He raises mostly Angus and their crosses. The man got so much power to control the feedlots to raise HIS black hided cattle as well as everyone's else. Can't say too much about the old man because he is still alive (is in his 90's living in Boise in his castle probably reading this...) So time to zip up.
Another one is Les Schwab.. Although the man himself raises Herefords until his death but now his ranches is swarming with Angus.
THe moral? Money corrupts power; Power creates demand; demand controls marketing... it goes on.....

If there wasn't a big consumer demand for well marbled beef there wouldn't be as big a spread in price between select (no to very little marbling) and selct (marbled).
The feedlot don't dictate that, the sonsumer buying that steak does. The reason the burger chains use imported beef is because of the shortage of old dairy cows to grind up. In order to get the large carcass to a szie profitable to butcher still costs the feedlot in feed. Those large framed non-marbling (usually continental) breeds take a lot of groceries to mature enough to slaughter. They have the money in them and I can't say as I blame them for not selling them to grind for the kind of dollars the burger folks are willing to pay.
I personally don't care for prime beef, but that's because I can't tell any real difference in the eating between it and a well marbled choice steak so I'm not willing to pay the extra bucks.
But I also don't really care for the aged in a bag beef that is commercially available either. I also prefer beef from a 3-4 year old animal for taste. The black Angus Association has done a great job of marketing, but they didn't convince the consumer to eat marbled beef, the palate of the typical American beef eater did that.
But difference of opinions is what makes a horse race.

dun

Oregonian":10eu2jqh said:
D.R. Cattle":10eu2jqh said:

Isn't important what I raise... The simple fact is there are way to get juicy tender steak without so much fat! I think people are starting to realize it is time a change in their diets. Recently McDonalds' is buying lean beef from Australia because the demand for lean beef is on the rise. They claim there is not enough lean beef in US to buy Which got me a bit confuse..why didn't McD's ask the feedlots and others to start raising lean beef? Why are we continue to raise marble beef if there is a huge demand for lean beef....nothing makes sense...anything politics doesn't make sense. I have trouble enough understanding our presidential candidates (more than happy to get rid of Bush aka King George). Anyhoo...who cares...
Other celebrities came to my mind. JR Simplot, the potato baron, got ranches (continues to expand) in ID, OR, and WA. He raises mostly Angus and their crosses. The man got so much power to control the feedlots to raise HIS black hided cattle as well as everyone's else. Can't say too much about the old man because he is still alive (is in his 90's living in Boise in his castle probably reading this...) So time to zip up.
Another one is Les Schwab.. Although the man himself raises Herefords until his death but now his ranches is swarming with Angus.
THe moral? Money corrupts power; Power creates demand; demand controls marketing... it goes on.....

If you go to the website for the North American Corriente Association, you will find a great deal of information on the breed. They will also send you some free pamphlets that expound on the intricacies of the breed. The cows average 700 pounds, mature. Bulls will run around 1000. However, they are designed by the God who allowed them to survive in Mexican deserts on rocks and creosote bushes to be skinny, narrow backed gaunt looking beasts. By the way, the preferred color of the corriente breed is black. Color tends to show influence from longhorns, which are a little wilder and not near as much fun to rope. Hope that helps.

By the way, I am from Oregon, but the East side. Over there we have some common sense and a little bit of knowledge of how the cattle industry AND a capitalist society works. Please don't let the loudmouth from above ruin your opinions of the good folks up here.

I thought maybe blackpowder had moved to oregon

dun

Marty":1ed0kpbd said:
By the way, I am from Oregon, but the East side. Over there we have some common sense and a little bit of knowledge of how the cattle industry AND a capitalist society works. Please don't let the loudmouth from above ruin your opinions of the good folks up here.

I think Black Angus have been around long enought and have influnced the cattle business anought to say they are great cattle...I also know if your force feed any animal in a small lot they will get fat...By force feed I mean supply a unlimited amout of high quality fatting foods. a person is far more likely to to have a health problem due to the eating the junk process dirt we eaisly obtain on every street corner... Beef is good food, and if you are afraid of the fat do not eat it, after all not all cuts have the same fat content. I also raise beef for my on use, not nesserary to make a living, I eat them...And if you want a leaner cut do not feed the Angus steer so long and he will not have the marbling. 60 days cleans him out nicely and the meat will not be so fat....ALF..

I want to say I would like to apologize to anyone I have offended. I didn't want to cause any harsh feelings. I was stating my personal opinions and though I share them....didn't think it would turn into a spitting contest.
I think Blackpower loves his Angus.... don't think he would insult his own "kind".
:cboy:

AMEN.

well done, you just shot a BULLSEYE

Oregonian":3gbf2hce said:

I don't raise Angus cattle, but can't understand the animosity toward the breed. If I enjoyed a climate that would accept them , I would use them. Let's face it, Angus cattle are preferred by consumers, therefore they make money for producers. It doesn't matter WHY the consumers want CAB. What matters is producers of beef, just like any other commodity, produce what the consumer wants. If we do not produce what the market wants, what kind of business do we have?

I agree & disagree with you people! I like the different breeds & colors. I have nothing against Angus, but they sure do get a lot of popularity for being just simply a black or red beef cow. What about the other breeds. Also the Corriente is suppose to be slim. I've known about them for a long time. They are great for rodeos.
Bye,
Ellie May

D.R. Cattle":1j5m4juz said:
I don't raise Angus cattle, but can't understand the animosity toward the breed. If I enjoyed a climate that would accept them , I would use them. Let's face it, Angus cattle are preferred by consumers, therefore they make money for producers. It doesn't matter WHY the consumers want CAB. What matters is producers of beef, just like any other commodity, produce what the consumer wants. If we do not produce what the market wants, what kind of business do we have?

DR,
If restaurant chains and supermarkets chains were selling Hereford beef the same way as Angus, they would be famous too....Same if it were Charolais, or Simmental, or Longhorns, or Bison....whatever. Get the picture? City people don't know the difference between Angus to a Longhorn...all they are familiar is its brand name...same as Wheat Thins, Doritos, etc... Don't reply right away. Think hard about this for the next few days....

Doesn't matter why, just that the consumer buys beef. As long as the consumer buys higher quality grading beef the order buyers will pay more for black calves (generally), therefore raising black calves makes more of a profit. I don;t like blacks myself so we joined a marketing association that sells by potloads, mixed colors. We have enough of a reputation for the quality in the calves that we get top market price for them.
Of the four black cows we have left, 3 of them will be going down the road this year.
Works for us

dun

Oregonian":2zemy99i said:
D.R. Cattle":2zemy99i said:

DR,
If restaurant chains and supermarkets chains were selling Hereford beef the same way as Angus, they would be famous too....Same if it were Charolais, or Simmental, or Longhorns, or Bison....whatever. Get the picture? City people don't know the difference between Angus to a Longhorn...all they are familiar is its brand name...same as Wheat Thins, Doritos, etc... Don't reply right away. Think hard about this for the next few days....

Latest posts