need Corriente body condition information

Help Support CattleToday:

Hey Oregonian, you keep missing the point. You know what, if consumers make the switch to Charlais or some other breed, great. Then the same guys that make money with Angus might make the switch. Until then they are going to continue to run a profitable herd with Angus. This is very simple-let me spell it out for you in an easier way:

1. Consumers want CAB
2. Producers breed CAB
3. Consumer get what they want.

Comprende?

DR,
If restaurant chains and supermarkets chains were selling Hereford beef the same way as Angus, they would be famous too....Same if it were Charolais, or Simmental, or Longhorns, or Bison....whatever. Get the picture? City people don't know the difference between Angus to a Longhorn...all they are familiar is its brand name...same as Wheat Thins, Doritos, etc... Don't reply right away. Think hard about this for the next few days....
:cboy:[/quote]

So you're saying no one else knows how to market their beef except the Angus folks? If the other breeds you mentioned would produce the same quality of beef as Angus for the same production costs, why aren't more stores shelves stocked with that breed? I believe the grocers could care less what kind of meat they sell, they just sell what makes them money, and if Angus cows make everybody some money, then folks will keep raising them. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

none of the other breed associations have the marketing clout that blk Angus have. They've been at it for a long time and have their foot in the door. If someone eats a well marbled steak that the really like, they've been brain washed into thinking it's probably blk Angus, if they think of breeds at all.
Years ago any copier was called a Xerox machine, any PC was an IBM or an IBM clone, excepting Apples of course. They were the ones that got the show on the road so those names pretty much became synonomis for whatever it was.
The other associations have started to get on the bandwagon, but it will take time for them to catch up.
They were also the first major breed to get away from the huge cows. Herefords are just starting to get the idea, Shorthorns still don't get it, but they;'re more into the show then table world. Not to say there aren't moderate framed superior carcass animals in those breeds, they just aren't seen as frequently as blk Angus. If you want huge non-marbleing animals you can find that in the blk Angus, if you want small high marbeling animals, they're available too.
Marketing is the root cause for the black phenomonon. Love them or hate them, they do make money. The last time I checked, that's what most of us are in it for.

dun

eric":1jxe1x1t said:
DR,
If restaurant chains and supermarkets chains were selling Hereford beef the same way as Angus, they would be famous too....Same if it were Charolais, or Simmental, or Longhorns, or Bison....whatever. Get the picture? City people don't know the difference between Angus to a Longhorn...all they are familiar is its brand name...same as Wheat Thins, Doritos, etc... Don't reply right away. Think hard about this for the next few days....
:cboy:

So you're saying no one else knows how to market their beef except the Angus folks? If the other breeds you mentioned would produce the same quality of beef as Angus for the same production costs, why aren't more stores shelves stocked with that breed? I believe the grocers could care less what kind of meat they sell, they just sell what makes them money, and if Angus cows make everybody some money, then folks will keep raising them. If it ain't broke, don't fix it![/quote]

I refrained from addressing the body condition of Corriente because I haven't messed with them in 40 years. But, we used to haul them up from mexico, when well fed out the resembled a fed out Holstein, just smaller and lighter framed. To me it alwasy seemed like they were rather skinny, but we were running them along with Angus at the time so my eye may have been out of wack from trying to compare apples and bananas.

dun

me":1sqmm3n9 said:
Hi, I need information from Corriente breeders regarding the acceptable body condition of this breed. A new rancher has moved into our area and he raises Corriente cattle (1000+ head). This is "beef" cattle country and folks are starting to give him a bad time about his cattle. they are saying he is starving his cattle but I beleave the cattle look the way they do because of the BREED not because of the feed. Folks around here are used to seeing fat, thick body style, beef- cattle, not the lean, narrow body style of the Corriente cattle. I want to help this rancher with the onslaught of "do-gooders" who are starting to complain.
What is the common looks of this breed when out in the fields? What is the commen practice (of feeding) of young stock prior to spring sell for roping calves/steers? Is there anyplace on the web I can go for this information?
thank you.

me.

Latest posts