Need Calf Help ASAP

Help Support CattleToday:

josh90":m2xxv2t9 said:
I recently bought a 1 month old holstein heifer, and today while leading her she ran around some as always, then fell over flat on her side breathing hard, coughing, and wheezing a little, with some foam at her mouth. After I first got her she was coughing a little but I thought it was just the dust in some hay. Then after she rested, she got back up and started picking grass, and was wanting to run again. Could this be shipping fever, or what?

I got real loaded on Tequila one time and acted like that. Wore off after about a week. The stumbling last a little longer. :help:

FWIW if you would have brought the calf in with you ,you would have gotten the proper meds..

This has been said so many times before and maybe people will get it now..You need to develop a working relationship with your vet before you even buy a cow..The main reason people do not get the good stuff is because the vet does not know you and does not trust you,,and they sure as hell are not going to give an 18 year old boy any anti inflammatories especially steroidal..

I hope the OTC meds work for you and your calves feel better..

Btw b12 is only sold at the vets here.

hillsdown":14gx7ep2 said:
FWIW if you would have brought the calf in with you ,you would have gotten the proper meds..

This has been said so many times before and maybe people will get it now..You need to develop a working relationship with your vet before you even buy a cow..The main reason people do not get the good stuff is because the vet does not know you and does not trust you,,and they sure as be nice are not going to give an 18 year old boy any anti inflammatories especially steroidal..

I hope the OTC meds work for you and your calves feel better..

Btw b12 is only sold at the vets here.

I have been working with this vet with horses for many years now. I also wasn't by myself, my parents went with me, which have known these vet's since I was born. And the one medication(FluMeglumine) was by RX only. But thanks for your opinion though.

josh90":20j4cuch said:
Went to the vet this morning, and he gave me Agrimycin(Oxytetracycline), and FluMeglumine for fever, $80 for both. But I was the shot giver and the two shots I gave the heifer I think went SC, and the vet said IM, but with the jersey bull calf his went in fine.(I learnt you have to do a quick jab all the way in, instead of trying to stick it in, like I did on the heifer) Will it hurt her if it went in SC? The vet said just to stick it straight in the muscle on the neck, and inject. I'm kinda worried about me giving shots after that, but I guess we'll see how things turn out. It was like her FluMeglumine didn't want to inject, and took several sticks for the Agrimycin... But so far(30 min. later) she was doing fine. What does everyone think?

When you give the IM needle, you stick straight into the neck muscle, but another tip to do is draw back the plunger of the syringe slightly, that way you will know if you accidently hit a vein, blood will be sucked into your syringe, pull out and try. If you arent in a vein, nothing will be sucked into your syringe, so you are good to inject.

Some meds it doesnt matter if you accidently put them in a vein. But some are not to be given iv, or they have a different dose rate iv. I know of a girl who killed a bull because she gave a im shot accidently into the vein, forgot to pull back to check for blood. Gave the bull his shot, he walked out of the crush and promptly fell over dead.

SirLoin2":15dhysfe said:
Cowman 30,
Easy big boy, josh is only 18 yo and just starting out.
But you are absolutely correct. And dollars to donuts he only got 1 needle full, instead of 3 to comply with this:
Treatment should be continued for 24-48 hours following remission of disease signs; however not to exceed a total of 4 consecutive days.
Source: AGRIMYCIN® 200
AgriLabs
Oxytetracycline Injection (200 mg/mL)
ANADA 200-306 approved by FDA
http://www.lambertvetsupply.com/Agrimyc ... 0AGL200250

There's a lesson here for all you VET WORSHIPERS!!
stupidpeople-1.gif

Josh would have been much better off if he gave aspirins for fever and went to Tractor supply and bought his own AGRIMYCIN® 200 or LA-200.
It would have been a hellava lot cheeper and he could have giver it 24 hrs earlier then he did and HE would have read the proper dosage instructions, which the VET apparently did not.

And some of you people wonder why I use some of the old tried and proven methods instead of calling a VET!

Josh, this is no reflection on you. You did all you could and did it just fine.
Now when you go for the B vitamin complex get yourself a vile of AGRIMYCIN® 200 or LA-200, read the instructions and do the necessary follow up shots.
SL

I know I just hate seeing people get ripped off especially kids and teens.

Can someone tell me why the heifer hasn't had any place where the injection site is, but now she has a knot, or a lump on one side from the antibiotic injection? I had to stick that site several times, and I'm not sure if hers went in IM. But I also have to give her another injection tommorow. According to a video I saw on youtube that just means it was SubQ instead of IM, but shouldn't it have shown before now? Its been about 31hrs since the injection. She appears to be getting better, but the bull calf still has a bad cold. The bull calf I didn't have trouble giving the shot to, and doesn't have any place showing.

Does anyone have any advice on building a headgate or something that I can restrain the 225+ holstein bull calfs. I'm not looking to build anything to hold anything over 275lbs.

I also forgot to mention, she had a tag in her ear, and I used a tag remover to cut it off, and it appears to be severaly infected. There was a large amount of pus came out of it, and it bleed some.

Might be that the vet took advantage of him... but might also be y'all have missed that the vet sold 500mLs of oxytet (at a reasonable cost) and an entire bottle of Banamine (at what sounds like a reasonable cost). My vet will sell me Rx drugs by the bottle, but not every vet will. Sounds like Josh got more than what he needed for what it was worth, and enough to last for any other times he may need to treat calves.

And FWIW, I see nothing wrong with using oxytet to treat calves. On some calves (depending on the source I bought them from) it's my first choice.

LA whatever will usually leave a knot. It has to do with the carrier irritating the tissue

Cutting out the tag let the infection drain. Wash out the wound with Iodine or peroxide. The LA-200 should help that also. I agree the knot is nothing to worry about.

I went to the vet today and bought some nuflor 65 dollars for 100 litres to keep on hand for respiratory disease. I was going to use it on a couple cows for foot rot. Instead I went with the new LA-300 from norbrook and dex for the swelling. Already the swelling has gone down and they are walking better. The vet said for pinkeye and foot rot there is nothing better than oxytet. Which I agree with on the pinkeye but it dont clear up foot rot as good as it once did in the 200 mg form but the 300 mg oxytet seems to work better.

Does that amount of Nuflor [100 liters] come in a bottle, jug or drum?

Dang, I got my dither in a note the other day. We always buy the small bottle of nuflor, 50 ml. We never really need more than that and if we do, the vet clinic is always available. Now Pfizer has gone and done away with it and we have to now buy the 100ml. Dang, just hope it does not expire before we can use it all.
Vet was not impressed either.

kenny thomas":33n8wyal said:
I agree the knot is nothing to worry about.

Will the knot go down, if so about how long should it take? Should I just give her the follow up shot on the other side?

josh90":1nwhjkhx said:
kenny thomas":1nwhjkhx said:
I agree the knot is nothing to worry about.

Will the knot go down, if so about how long should it take? Should I just give her the follow up shot on the other side?
Use the other side for the enxt shot, then as far from the first one for the shot after that, etc.............
The know usually goes down but it may take a couple of weeks. Or it may be there forever. That's one of the drawbacks to those particular products. I've even seen them abscess but that's rare.

Gave the jersey bull calf, and holstein heifer there follow up shot, and gave the other jersey bull his first. But when I aspirated the plunger on the two jerseys I only saw air bubbles, then when I did on the heifer I saw blood, so I immediaetly removed it before injecting any, and re-stuck her and the aspirated and saw air bubbles, and injected. So far 10min later there all fine and sucked there bottle afterwards. Did I do the right thing?

Latest posts