Need Calf Help ASAP

Help Support CattleToday:

josh90

Reaction score
I recently bought a 1 month old holstein heifer, and today while leading her she ran around some as always, then fell over flat on her side breathing hard, coughing, and wheezing a little, with some foam at her mouth. After I first got her she was coughing a little but I thought it was just the dust in some hay. Then after she rested, she got back up and started picking grass, and was wanting to run again. Could this be shipping fever, or what?

josh90":24hcessr said:
I recently bought a 1 month old holstein heifer, and today while leading her she ran around some as always, then fell over flat on her side breathing hard, coughing, and wheezing a little, with some foam at her mouth. After I first got her she was coughing a little but I thought it was just the dust in some hay. Then after she rested, she got back up and started picking grass, and was wanting to run again. Could this be shipping fever, or what?

I'd be on my way to the vet for a diagnosis and treament if necessary.

Sounds respiratory, agree with TB and HD, time for a vet. You have a limited window here to treat and cure or treat and end up with a chronic.

Good luck and let us know the progress

SirLoin2":1iwaojmw said:
Josh,
Re:
with some foam at her mouth
What color was it?
Has she just recently placed on pasture? Clover?
Does she look bloated on her left side? (possible pasture bloat )

What you are describing so far sure sounds like a respiratory problem to me, or possibly an inner ear infection.
Check her for fever, she should have a low grade fever. (102.5 + -)
If no fever is found, let me know.
If you are not well experienced with cattle, I strongly advise you to consult a vet.
Should you not be able to hook up with a vet, here are some emergency treatments you can try to keep her comfortable.
Now remember we are only treating the symptoms, not the real cause of the problem.

If she has a fever, or if you're not sure, administer 2 adult aspirins every 4 hours until her fever comes down or the vet arrives.
Do you have any antibiotics on hand?
Penicillin or LA-200, Draxxin??
SL

It was like a white foam. I called the vet and they said it was more than likely pneumonia, or shipping fever, and to come in the morning and get a shot for her. I currently don't have any antibiotics on hand, but I can get some Penicillin, or LA-200 tonight(whatever Tractor Supply sells). Can anyone give me some advice on giving her the shot? She has also been with the rest of my calves, and they are starting to cough, so I'm going to give them all a shot.

Forgot to mention she has not been on pasture, only on a bottle.

josh90":154wt5r3 said:
Can anyone give me some advice on giving her the shot? She has also been with the rest of my calves, and they are starting to cough, so I'm going to give them all a shot.

Get some real antibiotics from the vet and don;t dither aorund with the OTC stuff.

Just returned from feeding her, and she sucks her bottle fine, with a tail wagging. But she's breathing small, rapid breaths.

The two older holstein bulls, and one of the jersey bulls are doing fine. The other jersey bull, is coughing some with some yellow discharge from his nose. All are coughing some, but none are as bad as her.

Can anyone give me some tips on IM, and SC shots?

Josh

Follow the directions on the medication or what the vet tells you. Give all shots SC, in the neck at the point of the shoulder, if that is an option.

kenny thomas":1zj9jzmd said:
Follow the directions on the medication or what the vet tells you. Give all shots SC, in the neck at the point of the shoulder, if that is an option.

What gauge and length should I use for SC, and IM?

When you get the meds from the vet do not leave until you get all the info you need and feel comfortable enough with to treat your animals.

ASK YOUR VET...........that is what they are for. They will even give(sell) you syringes and needles that you need to use.

Agree with Hillsdown, but always use as short and as small a needle as possible to get the job done. Ask the vet. Some medications take larger needles because of the thickness of the liquid.

16 and 3/4 is what I use on calves
18 and 3/4 is what I use on cows

Or is it the other way.

Ahhhhhhh heck which ever one of those you want to use should be fine.

cowman30":2bizv970 said:
16 and 3/4 is what I use on calves
18 and 3/4 is what I use on cows

Or is it the other way.

Ahhhhhhh heck which ever one of those you want to use should be fine.

I have saw some 16ga's and they are huge.. Wouldn't that be to large for a 1 month old calf? I already have some 18's. I was thinking 18's or 20's in 1/2in. But I'm pretty new to cattle.

Suggestion: if you are going to the vets place anyway to pickup the meds, why not just bring the calf along and let him look at the calf, diagnose and give the shots rather than trying to do an online crash course in veterinary medicine? This way you can watch the vet and how he or she gives the shot and learn for next time, not experimenting now. jmho. Good luck. Jim

josh90":11d3wdfo said:
I have saw some 16ga's and they are huge.. Wouldn't that be to large for a 1 month old calf? I already have some 18's. I was thinking 18's or 20's in 1/2in. But I'm pretty new to cattle.

The size of the needle is directly proportional to the viscosity of the meds being administered. The higher the gauge, the smaller the bore, and the greater the chances of blowing the needle off the syringe during administration. I usually use an 18 gauge(due to the smaller size, and less sting) for penicillin, but I also take into consideration the temperament of the animal being treated, as well as the medication and delivery method. Penicillin tends to sting a lot more if given IM than it does given SQ. If they are wild, or hard to handle, a 16 gauge allows me to inject the meds quicker than an 18 gauge will. I also prefer a 1/2" needle because it's not as likely to break or bend, in my experience. I hope this helps. :)

msscamp":263l51jj said:
josh90":263l51jj said:

The size of the needle is directly proportional to the viscosity of the meds being administered. The higher the gauge, the smaller the bore, and the greater the chances of blowing the needle off the syringe during administration. I usually use an 18 gauge(due to the smaller size, and less sting) for penicillin, but I also take into consideration the temperament of the animal being treated, as well as the medication and delivery method. Penicillin tends to sting a lot more if given IM than it does given SQ. If they are wild, or hard to handle, a 16 gauge allows me to inject the meds quicker than an 18 gauge will. I also prefer a 1/2" needle because it's not as likely to break or bend, in my experience. I hope this helps. :)

Yup. Depends on the meds, not the animal. You will probably be giving an antibiotic along with an anti-inflammatory (probably flunixin, or banamine). Banamine flows well and a smaller needle will work. Baytril and Draxxin flow pretty well through a smaller needle. Nuflor will require a bigger needle.

Went to the vet this morning, and he gave me Agrimycin(Oxytetracycline), and FluMeglumine for fever, $80 for both. But I was the shot giver and the two shots I gave the heifer I think went SC, and the vet said IM, but with the jersey bull calf his went in fine.(I learnt you have to do a quick jab all the way in, instead of trying to stick it in, like I did on the heifer) Will it hurt her if it went in SC? The vet said just to stick it straight in the muscle on the neck, and inject. I'm kinda worried about me giving shots after that, but I guess we'll see how things turn out. It was like her FluMeglumine didn't want to inject, and took several sticks for the Agrimycin... But so far(30 min. later) she was doing fine. What does everyone think?

josh90":iizmun67 said:
Went to the vet this morning, and he gave me Agrimycin(Oxytetracycline), and FluMeglumine for fever, $80 for both. But I was the shot giver and the two shots I gave the heifer I think went SC, and the vet said IM, but with the jersey bull calf his went in fine.(I learnt you have to do a quick jab all the way in, instead of trying to stick it in, like I did on the heifer) Will it hurt her if it went in SC? The vet said just to stick it straight in the muscle on the neck, and inject. I'm kinda worried about me giving shots after that, but I guess we'll see how things turn out. It was like her FluMeglumine didn't want to inject, and took several sticks for the Agrimycin... But so far(30 min. later) she was doing fine. What does everyone think?

agrimycin for 40.00 WTF? You can buy brand name la 200 for the same price which is the same thing. Id be findin me a new vet if he would only give me la 200 that is about as worthless as teats on a boar hog when it comes to treating respiratory disease. Tell him you want nuflor, draxxin, or baytril, dont settle for anything less. If he wont give it to ya tell him you will take your business elsewhere.

If only I knew that he was going to give me agrimycin, I could have bought it at Tractor Supply last night, or ordered the exact same thing for $22.49 and free shipping from Valley Vet. He charged me $47 for 500ml of Agrimycin, and $32 for the other which was a Rx only, which I could have gave the asprins for... The last time I checked asprins are no where near $32.... They said on the phone that they was going to give me something else, for around $5 a dose, but after I went and picked it up thats what they gave me. This really pis$es me off... But live and learn I guess. I will know the next time.

Latest posts