Need advise on a jersey

Help Support CattleToday:

Jacob

Reaction score
We raise angus but have a jersey on the farm as a nurse cow. Well one of her calves we kept and bred. She slipped her calf the first year and then again this year. She will be 3 in October and never had a calf. I have a extra processing date in November that I plan to take her to but should I just grind her into burger or get cut up like normal. She's very fleshy for a jersey.

This picture was taken in May

Attachments

• D7E9395D-6160-4D62-82FE-2A32F71B1805.jpeg
    D7E9395D-6160-4D62-82FE-2A32F71B1805.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 16
  • EF9F35D1-6D9C-49BB-B882-B4155B36334D.jpeg
    EF9F35D1-6D9C-49BB-B882-B4155B36334D.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 16
We raise angus but have a jersey on the farm as a nurse cow. Well one of her calves we kept and bred. She slipped her calf the first year and then again this year. She will be 3 in October and never had a calf. I have a extra processing date in November that I plan to take her to but should I just grind her into burger or get cut up like normal. She's very fleshy for a jersey.
Well, how do you like your beef? I wouldn't get it all ground myself, but if you choose to then you can feed her some more with that extra time and get some really good ground.

I was browsing some threads the other day and I think @farmerjan mentioned eating plenty of jersey. I've had it, but it's been years.

We raise angus but have a jersey on the farm as a nurse cow. Well one of her calves we kept and bred. [She slipped her calf the first year and then again this year. ]She will be 3 in October and never had a calf. I have a extra processing date in November that I plan to take her to but should I just grind her into burger or get cut up like normal. She's very fleshy for a jersey.
Keeping her after she slipped her 1st calf was a cardinal mistake compounded by the 2nd year. Get her on full feed if planning on
cutting normal, otherwise go for the burger, except perhaps for loin eye. I hope the meat is the best you have ever eaten, considering
the cost.

Ask the butcher also, when he kills and hangs her... to do a sheer test... will tell how tender the meat is.
I would do her up as any other animal if the butcher says the sheer test looks good.

I did a 4 yr old that was a little tough on her steaks, not real fleshy either.... but all the other cuts were good... more moist cooking. Flavor ought to be real good. Stew meat, any roasts that you cook in a slow cooker, anything that you cook slow, will be good.... But the butcher should be a good judge of the tenderness after she is hung.

Keeping her after she slipped her 1st calf was a cardinal mistake compounded by the 2nd year. Get her on full feed if planning on
cutting normal, otherwise go for the burger, except perhaps for loin eye. I hope the meat is the best you have ever eaten, considering
the cost.

Agreed. Actually I sold her when bred first year but when she didn't calve I brought her back to the farm as it was right before breeding anyways. So I got her bred. Checked her twice and she was bred. Had her sold with Someone coming to pick her up next day and figured we better check one more time and glad we did because she slipped the calf. Not getting another chance but she wouldn't bring much at the sale barn so figured I would process her.

Reckon you are about as close to lemonade as you can get considering the circumstance. "Pass the bleu cheese"

cut her normal, but that fat may look a little more yellow than the angus, jersey meat is good

She is over 30 months . I would burger her all . Unless you like roasts to smoke or put in the crockpot.
After 30 months old butcher can't do any cuts that are bone in.

Latest posts