Need advice

Help Support CattleToday:

frenchie

Reaction score
Guys I have a real problem here with a neighbours cattle .They are always over here, causing problems.I have tried talking to him but He seems to not care where they are.But its getting crazy here,I woke up this morning to his cows grazing my lawn.

Any idea how to resolve this, without getting a lawyer involved. :( :(

Pen them up and charge him a fee to get them back. OR better yet, pen them up and sell them before he notices they are gone.

Beefy":w9rjmzbv said:
Pen them up and charge him a fee to get them back. OR better yet, pen them up and sell them before he notices they are gone.
If frenchie were to do the selling thing, it'd a good idea to have the check made to the owner. Save some cattle theft charges.
We also don't know how much the Canadian laws are different from the U.S. laws.
I would go with the penning and charging him a fee for yardage, feed, hay and water.

la4angus":368sk87m said:
If frenchie were to do the selling thing, it'd a good idea to have the check made to the owner. Save some cattle theft charges.

LA is right on this one. If you do sell them, maybe you could take out the hauling and the penning at the salebarn.

Or even better, how about we send you some R-CALF guys up there to make a cash deal? The old win/win situation?

True, i didnt take into account his location. no point in selling them, just pen them and charge him. With canadian prices like they are he may be wanting them to escape and run far far away.

I have considered selling them in his name.But they don,t all have CCA tags in the ears. They can,t be sold with out them.

I can try penning them and charging him a feed bill.

R-calf now that would be a win- win situation.Load up and ship them out. :lol: :lol:

But I think I will let the local law enforcement know what is happening.Just to cover my butt.

frenchie":1ok6kntk said:
I have considered selling them in his name.But they don,t all have CCA tags in the ears. They can,t be sold with out them.

I can try penning them and charging him a feed bill.

R-calf now that would be a win- win situation.Load up and ship them out. :lol: :lol:

But I think I will let the local law enforcement know what is happening.Just to cover my butt.
That's my thinking, but not only charge a feed bill, but a yardage bill for your time and trouble.
If he's a good neighbor he may offer some of his time helping you on some of your work when extra help is needed.

Hopefully this will work out with out hard feelings. :) We have been neighbours for a long-time.

theres only so much a person can take, Frenchie. I'd rather charge him a fee than have some kid's mom die on the way to work or something..

I don't think anything is more annoying than a problem like this. A good friend of ours is having similar problems right now with a neighbor that runs yearlings.. and of course, they now are mad at each other. One.. because he gets the calves on his place all the time and has to pen them up, and wait for the other guy to come and pick them up.. and the other because now the first guy just runs them out on the road and lets the sheriff dept come and round them up. I don't blame the land owner.. you get tired of that after awhile, and unless your neighbor understands your frustration, it's not going to get any better. Penning them up now and charging him for the inconvenience is probably the only way you'll get any results. Good luck!

Have you considered improving the fence around your yard? Even adding a couple of hot wires on the common fence could solve the problem without such hard feelings.

frenchie":26u6faru said:
Guys I have a real problem here with a neighbours cattle .They are always over here, causing problems.I have tried talking to him but He seems to not care where they are.But its getting crazy here,I woke up this morning to his cows grazing my lawn.

Any idea how to resolve this, without getting a lawyer involved. :( :(

if he wont listen to you, then call the law and turn in a complaint that someones cows are loose on the road.. they will track him down and should take care of the problem..

jmo

good luck

jt

Any idea how to resolve this, without getting a lawyer involved.

This must be a Manitoba thing. I was going to post something very similar to this last week. My brother put the half section next to me up for sale a couple of weeks ago but in the meantime he has rented it to a guy who is known for having his cattle out all the time. This is on a main highway, but most people have become used to seeing those cattle out by now. Currently, there is a two strand high tensile wiring around that pasture. When my brothers cattle were out there, I just ran it off my fencer. Now, this guy doesn't have any electricity in his fence, even though my brother told him he needed to get a fencer hooked up and his calves are always out. This morning I went and disconnected off a half mile of the common fence (which is my brothers) and hooked it back into my fencer (I just disconnected it at two corners). As you say, they are worth nothing. He probably has the same attitude. There is always some psycho who lives out in the back woods (unfortunately, out here, that might be me ;-) ) . I'd herd them towards his place and let him get aggressive with the guy :lol:

Around our area we can call the animal control. It is anonomous and legal. They will come out pick them up and hold them. Then the owner has to go get them and pay fees. Your name is never on the paperwork.
A few times of that and it is solved. Animal control will only allow it to happen a few times. Best of all no lawers are involved.
Hope this helps.

Guys..........I just found out this morning .Our area has a large animal pound.Perfect..........They are coming for them this evening.That should get his attention.He still has,nt been looking for them. It,s been 2 days.obviously not too concerned.
:)

Sounds kinda like us. We have a neighbor who don't raise cattle but just buys and sells steers all the time. Every year we have 3 or more end up in our yard or fields. The worst part is, since he buys and sells all the time. They infect our cattle with diseases. Like we hardley buy any more but they will end up with IBR.
Ellie May

Old Chinese Saying (not really):

"Man who keep good fence around his property...no worry about theings he doesn't want get into his property."

Otherwise, call the Law or Animal Control...let them collect and charge for room and board of the Estrays! Or, auction them off at a Sheriff's sale if no one claims them. :cboy:

Ellie May":yl8by87b said:
Sounds kinda like us. We have a neighbor who don't raise cattle but just buys and sells steers all the time. Every year we have 3 or more end up in our yard or fields. The worst part is, since he buys and sells all the time. They infect our cattle with diseases. Like we hardley buy any more but they will end up with IBR.
Ellie May

We had 70 prs this last time in our house yard and farmyard.

Latest posts