Need Advice

Help Support CattleToday:

Fetters

Reaction score
I am interested in getting a calf to raise for food just for personal use. We only have about 4 acres (house included) and most of the land is wooded. Would it be worth it financially to clear an acre or two and raise one or two calves? We have no experience but are willing to learn.

If it is worth it then what breed would you recommend for a beginner? I noticed from research that some have better temperaments than others. Also is 1 or 2 acres enough land for a calf or two?

We would plan on feeding grain or corn to supplement grazing...

Please help any advice is welcome.

Thank you.

Worth it financially? Probably not in the short term. Worth it spiritually and mentally - most definitely. You will want at least two animals as they are herd animals. You could use a goat and a cow but two cows would be my choice. Breed? I'm not touching that one. All have good points all have bad points. I'd recommend buying two weaned calves from a neighbor. This way your health problems should be nonexistant and they will know each other.

Jogeephus":1c7ypr8h said:
Worth it financially? Probably not in the short term. Worth it spiritually and mentally - most definitely. You will want at least two animals as they are herd animals. You could use a goat and a cow but two cows would be my choice. Breed? I'm not touching that one. All have good points all have bad points. I'd recommend buying two weaned calves from a neighbor. This way your health problems should be nonexistant and they will know each other.

Dang it Jo.... why do you always give such good advice. You don't leave me or anyone else room to say much else about the subject.

Good luck Fetters. Go for it!

Fetters if you get out for less than $4 per pound for take home meat, you'd be doing better than most. With feed cost being what they are, if you were to buy a 800 pound market steer and feed him for a few months, pay to have him processed, you'd be dong good to have 380 lbs or so of pure meat incuding roast, hamburger, steak etc.

The meat is going to be better than anything you can buy from supermarkets. The steak will be equivalent to what you pay $12 a pound for at the specialty shops, if you do everything right.

Most of us have the steers out of our own cows, we buy feed in bulk and furnish our own hay.

If i were in your situation and wanted really good steak, I would buy a good steer and get after it. From what I understand you are not looking to make money but rather save money. You can do just that and get better quality beef for your table.

Jogeephus":35gv1xhd said:
I'd recommend buying two weaned calves from a neighbor. This way your health problems should be nonexistant and they will know each other.

Wouldn't this statement be entirely dependant on the neighbors health program? Fetters is a newbie, he/she doesn't know what to look for as far as his/her neighbors health plan is concerned.

msscamp":2y68aer9 said:
Jogeephus":2y68aer9 said:
I'd recommend buying two weaned calves from a neighbor. This way your health problems should be nonexistant and they will know each other.

Wouldn't this statement be entirely dependant on the neighbors health program? Fetters is a newbie, he/she doesn't know what to look for as far as his/her neighbors health plan is concerned.

They should probably take somebody with them who knows cattle to pick them out.

Where are you located Fetters? Is there grass amongst the trees or no? Are they pine trees? Do you want to raise them on grass only? Do you have another source of feed or hay?

Longhorns would be good for a newbie to raise but unless you really want lean beef you might want something else. A British breed might be best for something like this. Angus, Red Angus, Hereford, or Shorthorn. Herefords probably have the best reputation for docility out of that group although none of them are "notorious". Also an angus-hereford "baldy" steer would probably be good too. The breed question could be endless, but those I mentioned should be pretty common in most parts of the country.

msscamp":15isivpx said:
Jogeephus":15isivpx said:

Your right. But a neighbor - especially one they know - will be less apt to dump a cull on them and take advantage of them due to their lack of knowledge. Of course, this would depend on the neighbor as well. I have one or two that would sell a rat's a$$ hole to a blind man for a wedding band but their reputation normally precedes them.

Lots of great advice, so I won't comment on whats been mentioned. You don't need to worry about "clearing" the ground providing there is some grass. The animals will "clear" the ground some on their own. I've observed my cows eating a variety of things including poison ivy, but as been mentioned here, be careful of some plants like pine trees.

It's true that cows are herd animals, and do best in multiples, but one animal can exist by itself, maybe not as content, but can get by.

Also the cost of graining out a calf for processing, and the cost of processing the animal won't be a nearly free, or a very cheep source of meat for the freezer, however the quality will be there.

When you buy hamburger from the store, more likely than not, that one pound of ground beef didn't come from one cow, but rather it is a blend of 50 different cows, or 100 different cows. There will be some very old cows with the hides hanging off their bones, and there will be some lame old bulls, and just all different sorts of things there. (sorat makes ya crave a big mac huh? )

When you process your own cow, the one pound package will contain ground beef from the one cow you supplied. The taste and burger quality can't be beat! :banana:

Best of luck on your beef project.

Jogeephus":2y2u888i said:
msscamp":2y2u888i said:
Jogeephus":2y2u888i said:

Your right. But a neighbor - especially one they know - will be less apt to dump a cull on them and take advantage of them due to their lack of knowledge. Of course, this would depend on the neighbor as well. I have one or two that would sell a rat's a$$ hole to a blind man for a wedding band but their reputation normally precedes them.

Sad but true. But there are those of us who try to be honest. I have a guy who helps me out on the ranch from time to time. I am saving a steer for him to butcher as he only has a few acres. He will pay me market price for the steer in the fall, so I don't lose any money. But I will keep him here for another year on my grass to grow and get fat. He gets a beef without having to keep it and feed it, I get my money from the steer calf just as I would at auction, the steer just eats grass, (which we have plenty) and next year he has saved some money on good grass fed beef for his trouble helping me every now and then. He will sell half the beef after processing and probably have a half beef for himself for nearly free. I think he thought I might be upset about him selling half. Why? I made my profit on the calf, the same as if he hadnt bought it. BUT,....I get some much needed help with the big jobs,..priceless. Seems like more ranchers would do this.

Latest posts