Need Advice

Help Support CattleToday:

farmwife

Reaction score
We have a 6 year old (son's first show heifer). We noticed that she gets stretched out and can't move her rear legs. Eventually, she will work her front legs under her enough to get the hind end working again. She's still eating and can lay down and stand up. She is hesitant at times to move much. In fact we have given her 3 shots (Banamine twice and something else -- vet did that one and I wasn't there) while she's standing in the pasture using no restraints.

Anyway, vet says is neurological. She gets a little better and then regresses.

Any suggestions??

Does she act like she's in pain? Is she dropping weight?

Ask the vet if he thinks a shot of dexamethazone would help. Were it me, I'd go ahead and give her one just to see. As you've described it, the shape she's in and all, I don't see how it could hurt, but since this isn't my animal I'm going to suggest that you ask the vet first.

BTW, has the vet suggested doing any kind of tests or xrays on the animal? Lots of vets have portable xray machines. I'm just throwing stuff out here. Sorry...

Also, from what our vet says, too much banamine can play havoc with a cow's/calf's gut...

Alice

No, she's not losing weight and she's not that heavy either. She's a big framed cow and never has really been an overly fat.

All the meds have been given under vet recommendation. We typically don't get shot happy at our place. Sometimes she seems like she may be in pain, but most of the time no. I'll try to get a pic this afternoon with her "stretched" out so y'all can see better what I'm talking about.

Here's the picture of her this afternoon. She's not quite as stretched in this picture, but she's definitely not standing correct.

farmwife can you take a few more photos, some directly square side-on. She has a very prominent hip, like to see more of it.

KNERSIE":1ihtwqw4 said:
farmwife can you take a few more photos, some directly square side-on. She has a very prominent hip, like to see more of it.

I tried to get a pic before she got in the barn, but I was penning a bull. Her hip looks normal to me (we've had her since she was aobut 7 months old. Actually, we would cull her, but she'll die with us since she was our son's first show heifer. Her name's Capri. She doesn't care much for my husband and I, but she loves our son. He can still lay all over her out in the pasture without a rope or anything.

I'll try to get a few more pics.

Other than a neurological issue, if she were a horse, I'd think about stifle issues, stringhalt, etc.

As Knersie pinted out, her hip (at least in that pic) appears to be very prominant.

Just a few thoughts.

Katherine

farmwife":1xrnlfzg said:
KNERSIE":1xrnlfzg said:

I tried to get a pic before she got in the barn, but I was penning a bull. Her hip looks normal to me (we've had her since she was aobut 7 months old. Actually, we would cull her, but she'll die with us since she was our son's first show heifer. Her name's Capri. She doesn't care much for my husband and I, but she loves our son. He can still lay all over her out in the pasture without a rope or anything.

I'll try to get a few more pics.

I think it's time to get another heifer for your son to get attached to. his one should go in the freezer. Better to do that then to have your son go through the heartbreak of seeing this one get all stove up to the point that she's suffering

She seems to be a little better today, as long as she's getting better -- she stays. Plus, you can't take a cow to the sale that are considered "downer" (can't get around) -- especially in the hind quarter (mad cow).

I have a cow with the same symptoms, she has a three month old calf on her now. I was thinking the calve was sitting wrong inside and got on her last good nerve. Started when she was bred. The vet said it would proberly go away after she calved, it didn't I gave her the same shots you did still not much improvement although the cow and calve seem to be healthy enough. My plans are to sell calve when she's old enough and sell cow on the rail that way I will at least get out of her what I should, instead of going to the market and the doc yelling cripple and ending up with nothing. It's a roll of the dice cause it is nerve damage that may just go away or may never go away. There's nothing you can do, better to get a new one.
Lots of luck

That is odd. Did the vet give any more details than "neurological"? Does he think it's from an injury of sometime, or something genetic? Hip involvement, or perhaps stifle? Curious. And sorry that it's a favorite. But keep in mind, like someone else mentioned, it's not a matter of some day her "going to sleep", it will probably get to the point where she's either in a lot of pain, or can't get up any longer. Been there, done that. It's very hard to go through.

No, that's really all he said. As for the stifle, I can't believe that she would be stifled on both sides the same way. Doesn't seem to be the hip. She has no problems getting up and laying down. I think maybe it's in her back somewhere, although she can still move her tail easy enough -- for swatting flies and stuff.

Uhhh ... How about finding a chiropractor that works on large animals to come out and have a go with her. I once had a racehorse who got an injured back getting slammed just out of the starting gate. Like your cow, it affected her entire movement and her hind leg stride, but she had a slight bow in her back where your cow has a slight depression. He used a padded stick and a sand filled hammer to do the adjustment. He only had to do her once and she made a complete turn around.
To find one, call people chiropractors.
Good luck with her.

bward":k95xile8 said:
Uhhh ... How about finding a chiropractor that works on large animals to come out and have a go with her. I once had a racehorse who got an injured back getting slammed just out of the starting gate. Like your cow, it affected her entire movement and her hind leg stride, but she had a slight bow in her back where your cow has a slight depression. He used a padded stick and a sand filled hammer to do the adjustment. He only had to do her once and she made a complete turn around.
Good luck with her.

Now that the chuckles have subsided about the back cracker for cows. I knew a vet in S CA that did accupucture on race horses. She did a buck goat for a friend of ours and it worked. Worked on most of the race horses too.

There's a man around here, I think in Morgan Mill, that does chiro on horses exclusively...exclusively meaning he doesn't work on humans. Horse owners swear by him. :D

Who's to say...

Alice

dun":32qkm5n7 said:
bward":32qkm5n7 said:
Good luck with her.

Now that the chuckles have subsided about the back cracker for cows. I knew a vet in S CA that did accupucture on race horses. She did a buck goat for a friend of ours and it worked. Worked on most of the race horses too.

I'm ashamed to admit that that was my initial reaction, as well. Having said that, I've discovered it can and does work very well in a lot of situations.

Latest posts