Need advice Sanding rusty post

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
I have a lot of inline 2" pipe fence post with 5 barbwire attached that were never painted I need to sand the rust off and paint. Is there a easier way to scrape off the rust rather than the trusty hand wire brush. I do have a portable generator for power tools. What would you use? Any suggestions to make it easier would be appreciated.

I would use some of the paint on rust converter. Stuff really works!

We do not have a Gemplers in this area do you know of any other nation wide dealers that sell it. I know of ospho but was told not to use it because it has phosphoric acid in it and it will take the galvaniz off the wire, I don't know if this is fact or just his opion I need to find out for sure. Does any one know if phosphoric acid will remove the galvaniz, I guess I can put some on a piece of wire to check it out.

dun said:
I would use some of the paint on rust converter. The stuff from Gemplers really works good but it has an expiration date so you don;t have much time to use it.

Good tip Dun! Some follow up questions:

Does removing "loose rust" involve more than brooming or steel brushing the surface?

How does this product hold up compared to conventional oil based primers?

How does the Interstate product cost compare to Gemplers product cost?

Stocker Steve":68sjhvug said:
dun":68sjhvug said:
I would use some of the paint on rust converter. The stuff from Gemplers really works good but it has an expiration date so you don;t have much time to use it.

Good tip Dun! Some follow up questions:

Does removing "loose rust" involve more than brooming or steel brushing the surface?

How does this product hold up compared to conventional oil based primers?

How does the Interstate product cost compare to Gemplers product cost?
It works better if there is still rust for it to ork with. If the rust is loose it takes an extra coat. It penetrates through the rust and the rust becomes part of the sealer.
I don;t recall the price difference but Genmplers was priced by the quart and it seems it was about the same as a gallon of the other stuff.
I ordered the Gemplers stuff over the phone, no store around here.

Most of these paint ons work with phosphoric acid in them turning the rust (iron oxide) to iron phosphate which is an inert black compound. You wash it down after and when dry, paint.

Now you have a chance that way but what works for me in cattle yards crushes and crates is get as much rust off as you can by any means -coarse 30 grit pads on a 5 inch grinder works best for me. Get 85% pure phosphoric acid from a chemical coy and dilute it with an equal quantity of water. It should warm up slightly when the water is added. Paint this on to your cleaned surface and let it work for at least an hour. Yes it will eat galvanising or rather it cleans it pretty good so keep it off the wire .

Then wash it off with water and a rag ,it will be slippery at first. Let it dry and you will probably see some white powder on drying ,dust the powder off and wash it again.

When dry paint with an etch primer for metal -I use wattle etch primer and if you got it on the wire paint the wire too.
Then paint the post ,within 48 hours I am told recently but I am not sure that within 48 hours is necessary yet. For the best results use polyurethane paint I have found ,not epoxy ! Even the old oil base paint with turps cleanup is better than epoxy . The sun destroys epoxy quickly.

Paint over the rust using penetrol (from the Flood Company) as the primer.

Than use a good oil-based paint, and add penetrol to it at the recomended rate.

Done & Done, no wire brush sanding blasting or washing required.
Will outlast you and I most likely.

tytower":1yveyf6l said:
When dry paint with an etch primer for metal -I use wattle etch primer and if you got it on the wire paint the wire too.

Only need to use Wattyl etch primer for aluminium brass copper galvanised iron etc. Just use the standard Heavy Duty Metal Primer.

Also, Wattyl etch primer is an epoxy paint - I thought you didn't like epoxy?

I can only say that these days they seem restricted as to what they can put in the paints and etch primer as I buy it now works on my cattle crush and yards and has done so for 6 years now. Its an epoxy based paint alright but its got to be coated over within three months and qonce coated with say polyurethane or oil based paint the sun can no longer destroy it .

I dont use epoxy paint or resin where ever the sun can get at it because the surface turns to chalky powder in 12 months.

marimus":3c4irnsa said:
Paint over the rust using penetrol (from the Flood Company) as the primer.

Than use a good oil-based paint, and add penetrol to it at the recomended rate.

Done & Done, no wire brush sanding blasting or washing required.
Will outlast you and I most likely.

I bought a qt. of Penetrol yesterday. It is labeled for use as an additive to paint. Does not mention being used as a primer but I will try it.

i've used the primer with rust arrester in it from Atwoods for years for all my pipe projects. No sanding or cleaning, just paint it. I've also used it on trailers with good results. Lasts for years

A product I learnt from the salt water fisheries industry is called Fish-o-Lene. Just paint it on and leave it the steel goes grey and it lasts a long time. Cats love the smell.

5 1/2" Angle grinder fitted with a wire brush head will do it fast just be sure to wear good eye protection also works great for welding slag too

Latest posts