Need advice on sick calf

Help Support CattleToday:

nycowgirl

Reaction score
I have a 2 month old calf. She's lethargic and has a dry occassional cough. Temp has been 103. This morning she got her 4th injection of LA 200. Her temp this morning was 102. She is nibbling food. When she is up (which isn't often) her legs are wobbly. She is nursing just a little. She is not dehydrated.
What advice do you have for treatment? Should I get a different medication or do you think with the lower temperature she has turned the corner? Should I continue to treat her with the LA 200? Thanks in advance for your help.

Try Nuflor, by now if LA200 was going to do the job there wouyld be a much more marked improvement.

dun

nycowgirl":2f9ermwj said:
I was giving her 3cc of the LA 200. Do you think I did not give a high enough dosage?

We only use LA200 for footrot. It's not the best stuff in the world for respritory problems. That sounds like a low dose but it depends on the weight of the calf.
Respritory problems can cause such long term problems we just prefer to hit it hard and get it cleared up ASAP.
When we used to bring in calves, we gave them a shot of Nuflor as they came off the trailer and we didn;t have problems. Note: this is the only time I would give theraputic levels of antibiotics without a dignoses of a problem.

dun

LA200's dosage is 4.5 to 5cc/hundredweight......2 month old calf is going to be over a hundred pounds. Prolly closer to 150. So no, you're not giving enough LA200. That said...I'd go with a different antibiotic as dun suggested. Nuflor, Baytril, Micotil...something specifically for respiratory problems.

I am confused because I have read some posts in different areas where people mentioned giving a single dose of 20ccs. What would be the purpose of that?

Use the the Nuflor for the cough. 4cc today and 4cc two days later. It would help pick the calf up and lower fever if you give it a shot of Banamine. (4cc)They seem to work really well together. You should see a marked improvement in a day or two.

From what you are discribing, your calf has a bad case of parasites. (wormy) The little hacking cough is a symptom of that. If the calf was takinig pheumonia, he would not eat or suck at all, have a foamy mouth, red nose .........and, he would probably be dead by now.
Give him recommended dose of ivermectin, along with a worm bolus. The next day, he probably wont look a whole lot better because a bad infestation of parasites, when they are killed by the proper medecine, will continue to make the calf feel bad for a day or so.....The second or third day, he should feel much better and start eating with a big appetite. please let me know the status of this little fella. RonB
* parasites can weaken their resistence to pneumonia.

Can't wait to check back on this thread :shock: :lol:

Agree with the advice given previously - use Nuflor or Micotil. If you are going to use LA200, give 4.5-5.0cc per 100 pounds of bodyweight. Right now you may be dealing with a "half-treated" pneumonia. Also, underdosing can aid in the development of antibiotic resistance in bacteria.

Here is an update on our calf. The day after my post her temp was down to 101.6. She still had a slight cough. I couldn't get anything from the vet without a visit, so we purchased some Procaine from the farm store and gave her that according to directions. She is up and around, nursing, and looks stable on her feet and is getting into trouble again. I'm concerned her breathing may be a bit rapid, but other than that she is looking great. Do you think I'm out of the woods?

Normally continue treatment with procaine penicillin for at least 48 hours after the fever has subsided. Good old penicillin can surprise you sometimes.

Lee

Latest posts