Need advice on cattle start up

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I am getting out of the Army in 3 years, and am researching going into a cattle farm/crop farm. I have been looking on ebay and different tracts of owner financed land in South Dakota and Texas. I want to buy the land now so that it has a little equity in it by the time I get out. I am going to get between 60 and 200 acres. I want to raise angus. Please reply any suggestions to location selection, crop and cattle breed suitability, and adequate size of farm for 100 head of cattle. Thank you in advance for your time.

Supernewtocattle

Supernewtocattle":2ijzcmx0 said:
I am getting out of the Army in 3 years, and am researching going into a cattle farm/crop farm. I have been looking on ebay and different tracts of owner financed land in South Dakota and Texas. I want to buy the land now so that it has a little equity in it by the time I get out. I am going to get between 60 and 200 acres. I want to raise angus. Please reply any suggestions to location selection, crop and cattle breed suitability, and adequate size of farm for 100 head of cattle. Thank you in advance for your time.

Supernewtocattle

First, let me say I appreciate your service to our country.

Second, your questions are too broad. Since I'm not far from Texas and hate cold weather, I'd suggest setting up in Texas. But after that, you're pretty much on your own. The number of head you can raise on 60-200 acres will depend on the climate (especially rain) and type of forage available (is it native grasses or improved). Once you select a region, go online to the state ag university. See if they have a list of county extension agents and contact the one in the county where you're considering buying land. He/she should be able to give you some help about carrying capacity of land in that region. There's a tremendous difference in the number of cattle per acre you can run in west Texas compared to east Texas. Angus cattle are raised all over the US. Their popularity in Texas has grown amazingly fast. Actually, their popularity in the entire southern US is growing by leaps and bounds. Good luck...

Here's a little advice. Any Vet who enters the service from Texas or moves to Texas and lives there for one full year is considered a Texas Vet. Which only means that he is eligible for some good financing at only 5% down on as many acres as $40,000 will buy. On the other hand a "normal" VA loan (with a loan limit of @ $203,000) will get you more acreage as long as you owner occupy the property and the house is habitable. No down but you MUST PROVE income in both cases. Owner finance is usually at least 20% down.

Latest posts