Need advice on cattle panels

Help Support CattleToday:

kypeep

Reaction score
I am looking to buy about 30 panels to set up a round pen for working our cutting horses on cattle. Anybody know where I could get some used or new ones (reasonably priced, LOL) in the Alabama or Tennesse area?

Just break down and buy new ones, the used ones I've found, I could have put $2or$3 dollars with each and bought new ones.

Are there some reasonably priced new ones around the Albertville area? Here in Huntsville, they are pretty much only for sale at Tractor Supply, and you DON'T get what you pay for in that case....

Look for a Priefert dealer in your area. Not the cheapest but, they are far superior than any I have seen. They actually have a few different types/prices.

Priefert's are great panels. Unfortunately, they are not even remotely in the budget:-(

A lot depends on the use and the cattle temperment. Calm cattle don;t need the heavy duty ones or if the cattle aren;t in a crowding situation. We have a few of the heavy duty ones in the crowding alley and the rest are the cheapest ones I could find. Including light weight muffler pipe jobs. Solid gates and gate hinge and latching is really important.

id buy new heavy duty panels.that would be the best an cheapest way to go in the longrun.because if you get used panels.your cattle could get to pushing on them an get hurt.as well as the horses might get hurt.you need a good round pen if your going tobe training cutting horses.

I built mine out of tube steel and welded wire sheep panel (20 foot by 5 foot tall) to the tube steel. The wire sheep panels are about $38 each.

I was at an out of town TSC picking up panels with a friend. I had the G/N behind the truck. Damaged sheep panels, utility panels and cattle panels were all in a pile. I asked the manager what they intended to do with them. He said, "Some sucker will give us $8 a piece for those". I told them to load them all. I weld them down anyway and they are easy to straighten. The utility panels are like sheep panel only they are 16 foot versus 20. I welded the wire cattle panels to gates I build. I have now used them all and would like to find a deal like that again.

My little pipe panels are 10 foot long light gauge and I have wired cattle panels to the insides of them when set up temporary for wild cattle on someone else's place. Just drive some T-Posts around the pen once it is set and that worked. For portability, light is good :D It just has to be strong enough to do the job.

I keep my eyes out for bargains. Sometimes I don't need something at the moment, but if the price is right, I fork over the nickels to get it.

Thanks for all the replies so far. Called Lee's and they ranged from $62 for economy 10 footers to 133 for x-heavy 16 footers. Whew, that's alot of $$$ for around 30 panels, a minimum of $1860 if I bought only the lightest panels. I'm guessing they aren't too much cheaper anywhere else?

Anybody know of any other ecomomically feasible way to build a round pen that wouldn't break the bank? Don't want the cattle to get hurt, but hopefully I'm decent enough with cattle to know when to take off the pressure. Just need some way to put together a pen economically on leased land.

If you can wait, hang on for an estate sale. There are lots of kids who moved to the city just wanting to liquidate everything asap. You are probably not going to find exactly what you are looking for but you can run onto some good buys on the things you seem to be looking for.

If you want it pre-built and you want it NOW, there is not much else to do but bite the bullet and pay for them. You get what you pay for. Cheap junk aint cheap. Quality is extremely pricey.

Wish I lived in cattle country, probably alot easier to find those farm sales in TX than here, LOL! I have missed a couple good buys on the internet, close in location, $1000 or less for 25 or more panels. Heck, even if they were only in okay shape, those could have been some good deals. I'll never know since I didn't get to see them1

If you lived close enough you could go to Tarter Gate in Dunnville, Ky and get a good deal on their seconds. Anytime they take a load out some of them will get a ding or the paint scuffed off and will be refused and come back. They sell them as seconds and usually it's only cosmetic damage. Maybe there is a place near you that makes gates etc that you could check out. I bought a 20' corral panel the other day for $56. It's a matter of being ther at the right time or having and inside connection to get them set aside for you when they come in. :nod:

Spoon, thank you! Sent you a private message to get contact info for the place you mentioned. I am in north AL, have access to a flat bed for hauling the panels, and have several of us wanting them. Might be worth the trip up there!

Determine if your state, or a nearby state, has a "Market Bulletin". In Louisiana I think it comes out every two weeks. You can even see the issues online. I know Mississippi has a Market Bulletin also, and it's online as well.
There is usually a Classifieds section that deals with miscellaneous farm "stuff". I've seen cattle panels in both the LA and MS Bulletin's. Sometimes you can find used one, often times there are "individuals" that are selling new ones.
There is someone in South LA that is selling 5'x12' steel panels for $52 a piece. I haven't seen them yet, but as soon as I get a chance I'm going to go take a look.
If you want more details, let me know and I'll try to help you out.
Good Luck!

i have some of those powder river panels, not sure the length, but they are pretty long. anyway i have a few issues with them. one, the bottoms under the pipe parts of the panel are open and the wasps love to nest in them. two, they are just too heavy for me to move by myself without busting a gut. and three, they sink down into my sand too easily and therefor are impossible to swing open without dissassembling if they sit in one spot for very long. i put boards down under them to keep them from settling but they still work their way off and dig into the ground. if you dont need heavy duty panels for heavy duty cows i get something light assuming you dont have jumpers.

Beefy":18pcnlb2 said:
i have some of those powder river panels, not sure the length, but they are pretty long. anyway i have a few issues with them. one, the bottoms under the pipe parts of the panel are open and the wasps love to nest in them. two, they are just too heavy for me to move by myself without busting a gut. and three, they sink down into my sand too easily and therefor are impossible to swing open without dissassembling if they sit in one spot for very long. i put boards down under them to keep them from settling but they still work their way off and dig into the ground. if you dont need heavy duty panels for heavy duty cows i get something light assuming you dont have jumpers.

Absolutely correct! -- get panels with solid pipe and no openings for wasp nests, yep they are heavy :nod: , and yep they sink in the ground so we've gone to pouring a concrete "patty" and set some bolts in it to tie to to keep them from sliding off.

With the way we work cattle we are transitioning to lighter duty EXCEPT in the alleys since sometimes the help gets a few a little rowdy.

Can't say how the different cattle will be, as we will be changing them out every 45 days or so. We'll be working 500-600 lb-ers, and I've seen a few of those clear a fence at cutting shows like a jumping horse. However, I hope that I am "cowgirl" enough to know when to take the pressure off and not make that happen. I am really considering the lighter weight ones and then fronting them with wired-on cedar poles, or something like that. I do know what ya'll mean about the wasps - we have some gates like that.

TATAR GATE COMPANY CLOSE TO RUSSELL SPRINGS, KY. YOU CAN BUY SECONDS FOR AROUND 3 DOLLARS A FOOT

try www.craigslist.com

They have a farm & garden section you can search for what you are looking for or even post what you are wanting to buy. We have done both with good results. Sometimes people have things they are not using and don't think about posting for sale until they read your ad. We bought a squeeze chute for $400 that way.

Check out Allen Gate and Panel in Prattsville AR. I think their 5'X10" heavy panel (80+ lbs and galvanized) is around $60. Located near Pine Bluff and very quality product. They also have package deals for round pens with bow gates that I think are a little cheaper. I bought >500 ft of panels a year ago and very satisfied.

Latest posts