Need advice on cattle panels

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":20l5zmvg said:
We have a few of the heavy duty ones in the crowding alley and the rest are the cheapest ones I could find. Including light weight muffler pipe jobs.

I bought a pile of used 12' panels for $40 each at an auction last week. I got a couple heavy duty ones, a couple newer light ones, and a couple "muffler pipe jobs" that are almost rusted through on the bottom six inches of the uprights. What is a good way to patch the rusted uprights?

ebay has horse pens ive seen people use if yer cows are used to it. im guesein theyd werk. i bought some prieferts a couple yrs ago. they still look new. better than thier head catch is holdin up..but i also bought some generis kight ones to move around. the btms rusted off and the cows just broke the pins off that hold em together. ..but i move em 4-5 times as yr so being able to handle em myself loadin em and settin em up helps alot.

lotta diff in quality out there and the price reflects that near as i can tell the high dollar ones are a one time buy it deal

What's considered "heavy duty" as far as gauge and/or weight? What should I be looking for in those aspects and what's important to ask?

I'm looking at some galvanized that are 1.75" w/19/20 gauge, can't seem to find much better than that other than an occasional 18. I remember seeing something like 14 and 16 gauge panels in the past, or so I thought, but I can't find any now.

As far as the horse pens, how about the Baird Panels out of Kentucky? Anybody have any experience with those? Green River panels - how about those?

i think the green river is decent midgrade stuff but we have no real winters here so...
galvanized will defintielty be my next choice but i think the 1 3/4 ''pipe ones yer looking at should do ya well. really depends on how much ya use em...and how bad of weather they sit in. my priefert stuff is 5 -6 yrs old and still is real good shape as for rust and integrity. i use em bout 4-5 times a yr only though in different places

If you're even remotely handy with a welder, build your own. Find some 1 inch heavy wall square tubing in bulk, cut and weld. I built 30 foot panels a few years ago for the price of light duty 12 foot panels.

Rod

A post above mentioned Allen Gate (Allen Farms) in Prattsville AR. Phone 870.699.4406 We worked with an annual sale several years ago and purchased about $15,000 worth of panels and bow gates from them. At the time the panels were $38 each and the gates about $70 to $100. I am sure they have gone up but they were good panels that would hold the wild ones.