Need advice on a terminal bull please

Help Support CattleToday:

Big Cheese":2qjgla2a said:
Why get rid of something that is obviously working for him? Having that Longhorn influence in you cow is a very good thing especially with the pasture land he says he has.

I understood it wasn't working and he was trying to retain heifers that he described as decent.

Cross-7":3pg088pn said:
Big Cheese":3pg088pn said:
Why get rid of something that is obviously working for him? Having that Longhorn influence in you cow is a very good thing especially with the pasture land he says he has.

I understood it wasn't working and he was trying to retain heifers that he described as decent.
It could be working for him just fine. He just weaned them too early and to be fair black Angus isn't best breed to cross with longhorns and Corrientes. But he's just asking for terminal bulls, not which bulls for retaining heifers out of half longhorns.

Caustic Burno":i13x4z0a said:
Willicd":i13x4z0a said:
I live in the texas panhandle and farm/ranch ASIDE from my full time shift work job. The only reason i mention this is because it helped dictate the type cattle i run. I am rarely around when they are calving and some pastures are very rugged and grass is sparse. For this reason I use corriente or longhorn cows and breed to angus or charolais bulls. I am retaining heifers now to start a more viable commercial "beef" herd since the market is down and you cant give away something with LH influence now. Anyway, all of these heifers are black or creme colored, polled, and have DECENT muscle. I need to know what the best breed of bull would be to maximize the black hide and muscle on the terminal calves? I am thinking limousin if i can find one. Would it be detrimental to breed back to another angus?

Brangus

I agree. You're in Texas. A little ear is a good thing.

Cross-7":gkecetcc said:
Willicd":gkecetcc said:
I live in the texas panhandle and farm/ranch ASIDE from my full time shift work job. The only reason i mention this is because it helped dictate the type cattle i run. I am rarely around when they are calving and some pastures are very rugged and grass is sparse. For this reason I use corriente or longhorn cows and breed to angus or charolais bulls. I am retaining heifers now to start a more viable commercial "beef" herd since the market is down and you cant give away something with LH influence now. Anyway, all of these heifers are black or creme colored, polled, and have DECENT muscle. I need to know what the best breed of bull would be to maximize the black hide and muscle on the terminal calves? I am thinking limousin if i can find one. Would it be detrimental to breed back to another angus?

If it were me instead of retaining heifers that are longhorn, corriente influence I'd get some nice be brangus cows.
Jim Saul in Turkey has some really nice cattle( Steiner genetics) and sells heifers and might talk him out of some cows. He owns the feed store there in Turkey, so he easy to find.
It'd be a lot quicker start on getting good cows
Just my 2cents

Are you talking about valley peanut when you say feed store? I use this type cow out of necessity not necessarily desire. The easy calving easy keeping qualities make my life much more pleasant. I have no issues with the LH/charolais or LH/angus heifers i am retaining i am simply needing opinions on the best breed of bull to put on them for terminal calves. I like the brangus idea IF i can find a good one.

Begert Limousin Allison Texas. Lawrence family limousin Anton Texas. If either of these folks are close enough to you I can give you phone numbers. Limousin will add beef to your calves.

Willicd":3vuznuh6 said:
Cross-7":3vuznuh6 said:
Willicd":3vuznuh6 said:

If it were me instead of retaining heifers that are longhorn, corriente influence I'd get some nice be brangus cows.
Jim Saul in Turkey has some really nice cattle( Steiner genetics) and sells heifers and might talk him out of some cows. He owns the feed store there in Turkey, so he easy to find.
It'd be a lot quicker start on getting good cows
Just my 2cents

Are you talking about valley peanut when you say feed store? I use this type cow out of necessity not necessarily desire. The easy calving easy keeping qualities make my life much more pleasant. I have no issues with the LH/charolais or LH/angus heifers i am retaining i am simply needing opinions on the best breed of bull to put on them for terminal calves. I like the brangus idea IF i can find a good one.

That'd be him
IMO you can't beat a brangus cow in that country and put a char, angus,limo bull on them to take off little ear.
If you like the LH cross cows I think the char bulls would be what you're wanting.
Brangus wouldn't be a bad choice but I've used brangus on corriente type cows( black and horned) and I didn't like the cross. It put some frame on the calves but not a lot of muscle

We use Charolais on Longhorn or Corriente cows mostly. We still have a few full beef cows and a few Longhorn cross cows but mostly Longhorns. Our three Charolais bulls are all different. One is a tall and lean bull, one is a really thick bull, and the other is a normal Charolais tall and thick. By looking at calves out of all three bulls I thought the tall lean was the better option (which is what a Brangus would be like) but once they get closer to 6-8 months old the really thick bull works the best. It puts more weight on them. So for Longhorns the thicker the bull the better.

I like Char bulls or a Charbray. I know a guy using a Beefmaster bull on Longhorn and crosses not bad results the bull came from Casey up in Albany TX.

Big Cheese said:
We use Charolais on Longhorn or Corriente cows mostly. We still have a few full beef cows and a few Longhorn cross cows but mostly Longhorns. Our three Charolais bulls are all different. One is a tall and lean bull, one is a really thick bull, and the other is a normal Charolais tall and thick. By looking at calves out of all three bulls I thought the tall lean was the better option (which is what a Brangus would be like) but once they get closer to 6-8 months old the really thick bull works the best. It puts more weight on them. So for Longhorns the thicker the bull the

My two charolais bulls are brothers or i would be in better shape. I will start looking for another charolais or limousin. I too have a few all beef cows that i breed to my angus bull. Their heifers will be going in with the LH crosses with whatever bull i come up with.

Willicd":18snz8un said:
Big Cheese":18snz8un said:
We use Charolais on Longhorn or Corriente cows mostly. We still have a few full beef cows and a few Longhorn cross cows but mostly Longhorns. Our three Charolais bulls are all different. One is a tall and lean bull, one is a really thick bull, and the other is a normal Charolais tall and thick. By looking at calves out of all three bulls I thought the tall lean was the better option (which is what a Brangus would be like) but once they get closer to 6-8 months old the really thick bull works the best. It puts more weight on them. So for Longhorns the thicker the bull the

My two charolais bulls are brothers or i would be in better shape. I will start looking for another charolais or limousin. I too have a few all beef cows that i breed to my angus bull. Their heifers will be going in with the LH crosses with whatever bull i come up with.

I've got a good charolais for sale. He's a coming three year old. Low BW, easy calving and ready to go. PM me if interested.

I appreciate it, but georgia is a little further than i am willing to travel!

I know some good Charolais sellers here in Arkansas but I don't know how far your willing to go to get one. Two of the places I know deliver but I don't know if they would go to the panhandle of Texas. I've read about some Charolais places in Oklahoma as well but I don't know anything about them. If you want to know about the places here in Arkansas I can tell you some info about them.

My charolais came from a breeder in NE OK. Luckily they have a ranch a couple hrs from me and we met en route. I dont want to travel too far. I suspect there are some good bulls within a couple hrs.

The two bulls you have seem to be pretty good bulls I would definitely see what they have at the same place you got them as long as they are the same bloodline.

just a little update:

i ended up with 2 limousin bulls i got from a friend at claude that buys hay from me. dont have any calves from them yet but i do have 30 charolais/LH heifers that will calve from them next spring. the charolais/LH crosses have developed in to a really nice set of cows. now i am contemplating taking a few LH amd putting them with the limousin and using those crosses with the charolais bulls to see wich direction to go in the future. i suspect the black hide will sell a little better though.

your black baldies will definitely top the market here. i figure i can run about 1/3 more of the these cows (looking like they will mature at about 900#) vs the conventional beef breeds. they are keeping very well even though we havnt had any rain in weeks and the pastures are DRY. i am certainly anxious to see how the 1/2 limo 1/4 charolais 1/4 LH calves do.

Latest posts