Need advice on 3day old bull calf being bottle fed

Help Support CattleToday:

cbattaglia38

Reaction score
This is only the 2nd calf I have ever bottle raised, so I still consider myself inexperienced. I have a 4 day old bull calf who weighs 100lbs. He lost his mom to a prolapsed uterus. Vet come out and stated that she probably died from shock. This happened on Friday. I have had experience with prolapsed cow, however the first one I was able to save. Anyway calf was clean and according to the vet was able to get what he needed from his mom before she died. My question is: He took right to the bottle. I am feeding 4 pints in the morning and 4 pints at night. Should I be feeding more? He is still hungry after he finishes it and tries to suck on my clothes. I am feeding him Maxi-Calf milk replacer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

4 pints in the morning and 4 pints in the evening is what is normally feed to bottle babies. As long as your milk replacer is at least 20% fat and 20% protein and made from milk and milk byproducts, then that is adequate.

If you'd like, you might break up the feedings to 4 times a day, but I don't think I'd feed more than 4 pints at one time.

Alice

Bottle calves suck on everything hungry or not. We have several every year. Sounds like plenty of milk. I agree with breaking it up into more feedings. We try for 3 a day.

Sorry to hear you lost your cow. I lost one as well the first part of Nov. Her calf weighed a 100 lbs also. Against the rules I feed him 3- 2 qt bottle a day. He also has his water , hay,sweet feed and starter pellets. I am just doing this for a month or so then I will cut 1 bottle back.
It's not hurting him at all, growing like a weed. Now I don't do all my bottle calves this way. If they are smaller I feed the regular amount. It just seems to me the bigger ones need alittle more to eat. And so far no problems with him.
Good luck with your bull calf.

I have also used Maxi Calf 22% replacer on my 2 bottle calves and have had excellent results. Sounds like the little guy is getting plenty of milk. Although on several occasions he will tell you otherwise as he chases you out of the pen. Keep up the good work. I'm very sorry to hear about your loss.

thank you all for your replies. In a busy world where it seems that no one really cares what others are going through, especially in the cattle business, makes me appreciate this forum and the people that are on it. While I am unloading my thoughts here, I not only lost that calf's mother that day I lost it's Daddy too. 2 ridges over that day I found my bull dead. Vet said that he was had been shot, probably by a hunter. People around here wonder why landowners will not give permission to hunt on their land. That is the reason. One good thing that I got out of the situation was one hell of a little bull calf. Guess he'll be special!!!!
Thanks again for taking the time to read.

I have also added a middle of the day feeding of electrolytes. Especially in the hottest part of the summer. It seems to tide them over and keep them hydrated. You can make your own recipe so it isn't as expensive. We use to call it their Kool Aid break.

Joy in Texas":2j9bjc0c said:
Sorry to hear you lost your cow. I lost one as well the first part of Nov. Her calf weighed a 100 lbs also. Against the rules I feed him 3- 2 qt bottle a day. He also has his water , hay,sweet feed and starter pellets. I am just doing this for a month or so then I will cut 1 bottle back.
It's not hurting him at all, growing like a weed. Now I don't do all my bottle calves this way. If they are smaller I feed the regular amount. It just seems to me the bigger ones need alittle more to eat. And so far no problems with him.
Good luck with your bull calf.

OK, Joy, I'll come clean...I have been known to feed 2 1/2 to 3 bottles a day to the bigger calves. What can I say... :p

And, Kelly, I think what you do is particularly appropriate. It's been almost 1/2 year since I raised bottle babies, other than the odd one here and there. Yes, I've definitely been known to run back thru, especially on hot days, and if the calf is interested, feed it some electrolytes. Whew, glad I came clean. :D

Just make certain that you don't overfeed the calf at one feeding...and if the calf appears full, or gets full before the bottle is gone at the extra feeding, don't force the issue. At least wait 4 hours between...just my 2 cents.

Alice

oh man Alice when I saw you replied back I just knew I was in for an ear full. LOL, thanks .....
In my years of raising cattle I paid alot of attention to the calves. Like why do the bigger ones keep getting bigger. For one they drank alot more from their mama's. If not her they'll rob someone else. Yes I know genetics plays apart all so,but certain calves are just different.
I am so sorry to hear about your bull..Some people just have a the brains of a corn cob. Last year idiots were on a rampage, they shot 18-20 head of cattle. And it wasn't ones up close to the roads. They were in the pastures,so game wardens know these people were inside the property. It wasn't one mans place it was a random thing. Most farmers stayed in their pastures for a few nights.

Sounds like you are doing the right thing to me. Just keep plenty of clean water and calf starter out for him and he should do fine. They all act as if they are starving for more after a bottle but if you gave them another bottle they would generally walk away from it before they drank another pint. If not they would be scouring on milk replacer anyway.

ctlbaron":14ss54bx said:
Sounds like you are doing the right thing to me. Just keep plenty of clean water and calf starter out for him and he should do fine. They all act as if they are starving for more after a bottle but if you gave them another bottle they would generally walk away from it before they drank another pint. If not they would be scouring on milk replacer anyway.

Sorry, ctlbaron, I have to disagree with this statement. My bottle calves get 2 gallons of milk replacer/day split in 3 to 4 feedings, depending on their age and how much grain they are eating. Not one calf has ever refused a bottle and not one of them has ever developed scours, either.

Ok guys past couple of days has been real good. I stuck with 2 bottles a day and he started drinking water out of bucket today, however when I went to feed tonight he acted a little strange. Was not his normal self. He took the bottle fine but seemed constipated. I rubbed his butt and he let out some major gas. Kept rubbing and he finally pooped. I am concerned though that he was not his normal self. He has had slight blood in his poop everytime he has had a bowel movement, which is twice a day. He is now 6 days old. He seemed a little wobbly. I spent about an hour with him and he just stood around, not chasing me, and not trying to suck on every strand of clothing on me. Like I said he took the bottle just find and drank the whole thing. Do you think I have anything to be concerned about. Any and all suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

cbattaglia38":1y97z77k said:
Ok guys past couple of days has been real good. I stuck with 2 bottles a day and he started drinking water out of bucket today, however when I went to feed tonight he acted a little strange. Was not his normal self. He took the bottle fine but seemed constipated. I rubbed his butt and he let out some major gas. Kept rubbing and he finally pooped. I am concerned though that he was not his normal self. He has had slight blood in his poop everytime he has had a bowel movement, which is twice a day. He is now 6 days old. He seemed a little wobbly. I spent about an hour with him and he just stood around, not chasing me, and not trying to suck on every strand of clothing on me. Like I said he took the bottle just find and drank the whole thing. Do you think I have anything to be concerned about. Any and all suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

He may have gotten used to his 2 a days. Keep giving him probios...and put some dry calf starter feed out in front of him. See how he is in the morning. If all you've been giving him is the milk replacer, and he hasn't scoured, and he's eating well...MYSELF, I wouldn't worry just yet.

Alice

cbattaglia38":3ipk29pf said:
alice what is probios??

It's a microbial paste...it helps with digestion and it helps maintain appetite. Also, if and when you have to give antibiotics to the calf, it's extremely necessary. Antibiotics destroy bad and GOOD bacteria. Microbials help maintain that balance. I've gotten to a point that I give probios each feeding, antibiotics or not. I squirt it in the milk replacer... :)

Alice

Also, it's not prescription...you can get it at the feed stores and at Tractor Supply.

Alice

never mind i just seen the other post. Alice you are a one in a million! I have read your posts and I know that you have helped alot of people. I could never thank you enough for that!!!

cbattaglia38":1unmt4x7 said:
never mind i just seen the other post. Alice you are a one in a million! I have read your posts and I know that you have helped alot of people. I could never thank you enough for that!!!

Well thank you...how nice of you to say. :)

Anytime,

Alice

Latest posts