Need a waterer....recommendations..

Help Support CattleToday:

Craig

Reaction score
Which waterer has the most efficient cup heater? I have an older Ritchie and it works but sucks a lot of wattage. Any suggestions? It will be sheltered somewhat from the wind. Maybe ten cows will use it in winter on average.

You might want to look into the Ritchie Thrifty King waterer. It requires no electricity. It has balls in the holes that keep the cold air out and, with 10 head of cows(minimum recommended) drinking out of it, does very well at not freezing up. I realize that it gets colder there than where I live, but last winter was a lot colder than normal for us and there weren't that many days that I had to thaw it out.

I like the ones that shut off below the frost line then drain like a yard hydrant. Might check out "Bar-Bar-A Waterer" and "Drinking Post Waterer". B&G

I have two Ritchie Thrifty Kings and like them. I plumbed mine like B&G talked about so when not in use I can drain them including the line coming from the ground. Local Extension farm has the Cobett's and they are nice. I would look at those real close if I replaced mine.

We have a Ritchie and a Mira-Fount and the Mira-Fount has had zero issues in about 15 years. The Ritchie has been way more work, but to be fair the Ritchie is a bit older and I'm sure they have improved a lot over the years. But when we replace the Ritchie it will probably be with another Mira-Fount.

as cold and snowy as it is in Mn I would go with the Cobbet....

I have Richie and Mirafount....but they will both freeze here in central va.......the ball or wafer freezes to the rim.... if you leave too big a crack then it will lightly freeze inside....not badly....

Richie is easier to access and work on......Mirafount if you can see the ball it has water in it.....Richie you have to walk over and look at it...

Craig, if you have an older Ritchie, we do have the more energy efficient waterers with a fully insulated base. Even using a waterer with similar wattage to what you currently have the poly base will help retain the heat keeping energy cost to a minimum.

PDFangus - regarding your white closures, ensure that they are sitting at least 1/2" - 1" below the rim. This will allow water to wash off the side and not pool around the edges, reducing the opportunity for these parts to freeze along the red rim. With this setting, the water will lose about 1 degree per hour if not in use. Let us know if you have any questions about winter preparation as we know the harsh winter is right around the corner.

We have had a Ritchie Omni 2 for ten years and love it. No complaints about the wattage it takes and it stays open, even fully exposed to the wind at below zero temps. Last year the pipe that was 6' underground froze going to the waterer but when the frost line goes that far down what can you do. The waterer was still open, just no water to it anymore.

Ritchie Industries":29p9tzwh said:
Craig, if you have an older Ritchie, we do have the more energy efficient waterers with a fully insulated base. Even using a waterer with similar wattage to what you currently have the poly base will help retain the heat keeping energy cost to a minimum.

PDFangus - regarding your white closures, ensure that they are sitting at least 1/2" - 1" below the rim. This will allow water to wash off the side and not pool around the edges, reducing the opportunity for these parts to freeze along the red rim. With this setting, the water will lose about 1 degree per hour if not in use. Let us know if you have any questions about winter preparation as we know the harsh winter is right around the corner.

:welcome: to CT Ritchie, please stick around.

:welcome: Thank you for the reply! I haven't looked at the newer poly ones yet, might have to. The metal ones are darn near bullet proof so I never thought about going poly.

Craig":3mzpabkb said:
:welcome: Thank you for the reply! I haven't looked at the newer poly ones yet, might have to. The metal ones are darn near bullet proof so I never thought about going poly.

We just ripped to of our poly ones out and replaced them with the metal ones, just have one ploy left in the bull pen but it is quite sheltered from the wind and has a floating heater built in it too. They use a little more power but at least when it is -40 I do not have to haul hot water from the house because the float has frozen also if you do freeze you can thaw easily without worrying about melting anything.

Aaron":ta3b1t9f said:
Never been around them, but the IA/MN/WI boys on some of the other ag forums really like these Cobett waterers. If I ever get sick of my Ritchie, I might throw one in.

http://www.cobett.com/

Have narrowed it down to a cobett and bar bar A....any thoughts from folks using either product to help make up my mind.. Thanks in advance.

I have the mirafount ball drinker and pride of the farm.. both are energy free... the mirafount in extreme cold will sometimes freeze up slightly at the valve opening at the top of the heatsink tube... requires a screwdriver to remove the top and a couple gallons warm water and its good to go. Usually happens when I have 3-5 days of below 10F days/nights.. I think in the past 3 years I've had them... maybe... 6-8 times I've had to thaw it out.

The pride of the farm is newer to me, about a year and so far it hasn't frozen up at the valve or anything, but if the cattle aren't drinking a lot some days, it does require me to go out and punch/break the ice inside the lid once a day. its never been more than a 1/4" thick so far, so my hand works fine and it pops right out.. (the ice not my hand !)

bball":ecy7c94l said:
Aaron":ecy7c94l said:
Never been around them, but the IA/MN/WI boys on some of the other ag forums really like these Cobett waterers. If I ever get sick of my Ritchie, I might throw one in.

Have narrowed it down to a cobett and bar bar A....any thoughts from folks using either product to help make up my mind.. Thanks in advance.

I think you would like either one of those. The only other one I would check out is this one been around since the early 70's. BTW the guy in the pictures that's doing the digging and installing the waterer is your truly! :D http://www.dpwaterer.com B&G

Black and Good":2ecx2imm said:
bball":2ecx2imm said:
Aaron":2ecx2imm said:

I think you would like either one of those. The only other one I would check out is this one been around since the early 70's. BTW the guy in the pictures that's doing the digging and installing the waterer is your truly! :D http://www.dpwaterer.com B&G

I saw that B&G, wasnt sure how well cattle would drink out of it, but i really liked the design.

bball, I've installed all these waterers. The one thing I have heard a few times about the Bar Bar A is that when its real hot the metal flapper gets awful hot and calves and some cattle get leary to touch first. B&G

Latest posts